Ex players and that

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

yes that is inyeresting he will need to be able to do it aswell so he can show how drills go, lots of keepers now are frustrated strikers!!!

Dean Brill & Alan Blayney need not apply!😂😂

My mind might be playing tricks, but I seem to remember In the 1990s after our goalkeeper was injured Darren Beckford going in nets and making several good saves.

Can anyone else remember that game?

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My mind might be playing tricks, but I seem to remember In the 1990s after our goalkeeper was injured Darren Beckford going in nets and making several good saves.

It was Wolves at home.  I think if I remember correctly Steve Bull was sent off in the first half as well. 

44 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

It was Wolves at home.  I think if I remember correctly Steve Bull was sent off in the first half as well. 

Different games. For the one where Beckford went in net we missed a late pen, which he was supposed to be taking.

22 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Different games. For the one where Beckford went in net we missed a late pen, which he was supposed to be taking.

I think the Bull red card was the following season then.  

41 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

I think the Bull red card was the following season then.  

Beckford going in Net for the last 20 mins keeping a clean sheet, was 1996 wasn't it Gerry Creaney missed a pen that day that could have won it.

Steve Bull being sent off was 97 after he had equalised for them and appeared to have coming together with Craig Fleming, we won that one 3-2 Paul Rickers bagging a late winner. I remember that one because some bloke gesticulating to the Wolves fans and nearly starting a riot.

Edited by GlossopLatic

We always seemed to do well against Wolves as we beat them the season before that when they had John De Wolff playing for them.  I searched for a photo of Beckford wearing the Keeper top as I have recollections of it being the programme front cover a few weeks later.  I didn't find anything although there is a clip of him playing in goal for Norwich and making a good save. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He was good, but he was no Dean Windass 😁

Re outfield players as stand-in goalkeepers: on 4 December 1971, Latics played a Div 3 fixture at Blackburn. This was just seven days after our 0-6 home thrashing by Aston Villa.

With the score at 0-0 midway through the first half, Harry Dowd received a serious injury (broken bone in his hand, I think) and had to leave the field. Maurice Whittle took over in goal for the rest of the game, and played an absolute blinder. We won 1-0, and Jim Williams dubbed him 'Maurice The Magnificent' in his Monday evening match report in the Chronicle!

2 hours ago, Andyt84 said:

We always seemed to do well against Wolves as we beat them the season before that when they had John De Wolff playing for them.  I searched for a photo of Beckford wearing the Keeper top as I have recollections of it being the programme front cover a few weeks later.  I didn't find anything although there is a clip of him playing in goal for Norwich and making a good save. 

https://twitter.com/Tommy_Oldham1/status/1654112184954241025?t=pjngRvF2KRr_WKTQxETMGQ&s=19

4 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Re outfield players as stand-in goalkeepers: on 4 December 1971, Latics played a Div 3 fixture at Blackburn. This was just seven days after our 0-6 home thrashing by Aston Villa.

I remember the 0 - 6 pasting very well (as you would) , Andy Lochhead scored three and Bruce Rioch pulled the strings.  Rioch was a fine player and went on to other things not least a career involvement in offshore sailing.

Edited by Punce

2 hours ago, Punce said:

I remember the 0 - 6 pasting very well (as you would) , Andy Lochhead scored three and Bruce Rioch pulled the strings.  Rioch was a fine player and went on to other things not least a career involvement in offshore sailing.

Wonder if that lone voice is still alive... the one that maintained a constant tone throughout the game. Did he ever breathe for the 90 mins?

9 hours ago, Punce said:

I remember standing with the Oldham boys in the Chaddy end facing a much larger group of Villa boot. As each goal was scored the mood was getting more and more aggressive.
When the fifth (or was it sixth?) went in we’d had enough and charged the Villa fans catching them off guard.

We pushed them down to one corner and eventually out of the stand.

Happy days…😳

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Morecambe. Been very good for them this season by all accounts. Bring him home.

Yeah, i realised and changed it to Morecambe. No idea why I put Accrington as I knew it was Morecambe. 
Shame we don’t really need a keeper. I do like Norman, but he would be an upgrade. I do think the money could be better spent though.

22 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

he's decent Ripley isnt he? not really followed his career but has he not run his deal down so he can move upwards?

Don't think Morecambe have offered anyone a new deal - in financial strife seemingly, was due to be taken over by a 20-year-old drinks tycoon who has not completed the takeover as of yet since the turn of the year