If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Neither can i. He's been a disaster. After his caretaker honeymoon, his teams were okay, then inconsistent, then poor, then piss poor, then piss poor and spineless. Why anyone thinks he should stay is totally beyond me. I can accept going down, to a limited extent, providing we put up a genuine fight. We didn't. Unable to motivate and not that great tactically, he then resorted to blaming the pitch and the training ground. He actually strikes me as someone who talks a lot, tries to impress with his knowledge, borders on arrogant but is actually very superficial in every way. He's actually a bit thick, arrogant and full of shit.  He reminds me of Steve Eyre, only worse. He might want to stay in order to pay his bills, but wouldn't that just sum up the level of his commitment?  He didn't look like he gave a shit. it didn't seem to hurt. He looked like he really couldn't have given a toss. i really don't like him. He's been a disaster. He should go -NOW.

Let's just suppose we have a very good season in League 2, play entertaining, attacking football with a reasonably talented squad and bounce back. Will you then applaud what he achieves and accept that he has learned from his mistakes? Because, let's be honest, if we'd carried on playing as we did in his first half dozen games, we could easily have been top half and the discussions about him being binned off would never have occurred.

Aye, I'm pretty pissed off that we didn't stay up and yes, RW made tactics, team selection and substitution mistakes (in our eyes at least) that he didn't seem to learn from. Maybe he has now. Perhaps things are starting to settle down at BP and it could well be a happier place to be. If he could get a team playing as he did when he was caretaker, he should be able to do it again with any luck. Let's just get behind him, AL, the squad and the tea lady and let this season's clusterfuck be consigned to exactly what it is. History. Fourth tier football is a new concept for a lot of fans, so why don't we just enjoy the ride and, if he still can't get us going in the first 8 or 10 games, then we probably have every right to call for his head on a pikestaff.

Edited by Bristolatic

13 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

His man management and motivational skills are my biggest worry......In his Northampton post match interview he alluded to certain players not caring enough...I would suggest Byrne, Holloway, and Davies may be amongst that group.

If he can’t get them playing for him in 3/4 of a season and especially in a game of such importance where our divisional status was at stake I fail to see how next season will be any different!

Stop talking utter rubbish.

Byrne collapsed to the floor at full time. Wouldn’t do that if he didn’t care.

Holloways hands were on his head when his shot was cleared off the line. 

Youre talking nonsense 

40 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Youre talking nonsense 

Agreed. Those 2 in particular looked hurt at full time. 

1 hour ago, Twisbrogan said:

There's no way he would walk because managing a football team improves his profile which means that he gets more invitations to do his favourite job which is, of course, providing analysis for youth matches on MUTV.

1 hour ago, Twisbrogan said:

There's no way he would walk because managing a football team improves his profile which means that he gets more invitations to do his favourite job which is, of course, providing analysis for youth matches on MUTV.

If thats the case he seems to be in an ideal position to bring in some  good loanees from Manchester United.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

I thought Sinnott said he was sacked, even if we stay up and he knew this before the last game??

I said he knew he was off. He was telling people the week before the game. I then said on Monday that he won't walk and Abdallah is reluctant to pay him off. All eyes on MK Dons...

11 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Youre talking nonsense 

Byrne probably thinking “why the fuck did I come here to get wasted out wide & relegated”

Holloway probably thinking “fuck, I’m now one step closer to non-league where I should be playing really”

Just watching the Scunthorpe vs Rotherham game... and interesting to see how Paul Warne is doing after being given a chance to go again in a lower division.

Because he got the job at Rotherham when they were bottom of the league, he didn’t manage to keep them up and got relegated in his first year, now they’ve rebuilt and done reasonably well this year. 

Similar story at our place surely? Apart from Wellens had us hoping for heights because of how well he did when he first came in. 

If we dropped down and he was to get us in the play offs that would constitute a good season wouldn’t it?

1 hour ago, MAC0AFC said:

Just watching the Scunthorpe vs Rotherham game... and interesting to see how Paul Warne is doing after being given a chance to go again in a lower division.

Because he got the job at Rotherham when they were bottom of the league, he didn’t manage to keep them up and got relegated in his first year, now they’ve rebuilt and done reasonably well this year. 

Similar story at our place surely? Apart from Wellens had us hoping for heights because of how well he did when he first came in. 

If we dropped down and he was to get us in the play offs that would constitute a good season wouldn’t it?

Depends what happens this summer. We could be in a position where not getting promotion might be seen as an underachievement.

We could ofcourse get another lorry load of crap #frenchlads where staying up is seen as an achievement and getting to the play offs in those circumstances could be considered a minor miracle.

Anything could happen right now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

None of us know what RW has had to put up with off the field. Whatever it was, it had an effect on the players. AL knows what happened and may have decided to give RW another chance after the disturbing influence has been removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Quotes like this irk me a little bit

"We’ll probably be keeping the majority of the squad, mainly because clubs won’t come in for players who’ve been relegated,” said Wellens,"

It's probably a bit too honest but it's the sort of quote that a player like Davies, Dummigan, etc will look at and take offence to. Any of these "undesired" players may very well still be playing for us next season, and we'd prefer it if they're giving 100% for their manager, rather than not being as commited because the manager has no faith in them.

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Quotes like this irk me a little bit

"We’ll probably be keeping the majority of the squad, mainly because clubs won’t come in for players who’ve been relegated,” said Wellens,"

It's probably a bit too honest but it's the sort of quote that a player like Davies, Dummigan, etc will look at and take offence to. Any of these "undesired" players may very well still be playing for us next season, and we'd prefer it if they're giving 100% for their manager, rather than not being as commited because the manager has no faith in them.

Like Dan Gardner when we signed him? 

I think what he really means is, "Nobody will be interested in most of them because they're shit."

6 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Like Dan Gardner when we signed him? 

I think what he really means is, "Nobody will be interested in most of them because they're shit."

That's exactly what he means. And it won't help his cause if he doesn't manage to shift these players and he's relying on them next season.

He should be giving everyone a clean slate. Just like the fans and Abdallah are willing to give him. I'm glad we've stuck with Wellens, but he needs to appreciate there was a good case for getting rid of him. And the failure to secure the 2 extra points we needed to stay up, from the run of games he had, isn't simply down to "bad" players. 

If he doesn't admit and address his own shortcomings, he won't last very long as a manager. 

The players he is calling out here, the majority of those are probably capable of doing a very good job in League Two, but the manager's approach is instrumental in getting the best performances out of those players.

I'd like to think that he is referring to the fact that players won't have the opportunity to choose to leave (rather than he might not be able to offload them). Hopefully clumsy rather than niaive but another example of an area where there's room for improvement...........I think he regularly gets misinterpreted which can paint him in a bad light unintentionally.

6 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

That's exactly what he means. And it won't help his cause if he doesn't manage to shift these players and he's relying on them next season.

He should be giving everyone a clean slate. Just like the fans and Abdallah are willing to give him. I'm glad we've stuck with Wellens, but he needs to appreciate there was a good case for getting rid of him. And the failure to secure the 2 extra points we needed to stay up, from the run of games he had, isn't simply down to "bad" players. 

If he doesn't admit and address his own shortcomings, he won't last very long as a manager. 

The players he is calling out here, the majority of those are probably capable of doing a very good job in League Two, but the manager's approach is instrumental in getting the best performances out of those players.

Along the line of my thoughts, I'm struggling to get excited at whatever squad we put together because we thought we had a good squad last season but with Wellens in charge we got relegated.

Fans just seem to have accepted the fact that he is staying when 90% wanted him sacked if we got relegated.

I'm more concerned about a number 2, backroom staff and facilities. Wellens was out of his depth last season, especially without a number 2. Nothings changed.

6 minutes ago, cmr said:

Along the line of my thoughts, I'm struggling to get excited at whatever squad we put together because we thought we had a good squad last season but with Wellens in charge we got relegated.

Fans just seem to have accepted the fact that he is staying when 90% wanted him sacked if we got relegated.

I'm more concerned about a number 2, backroom staff and facilities. Wellens was out of his depth last season, especially without a number 2. Nothings changed.

66.67% to be precise :)

9 minutes ago, cmr said:

Nailed it! He had a great squad of players and for some reason after the Bastards home win it all turned to shit. 

Folk accepted the top half finish was never happening but if someone had asked me at that time about relegation I'd of bet my house against it and even with 8 games left I'd of been of the same mind. 

Rochdale should never have finished above us and he knows it. 

Weakened from the drop and weaker knowing no one in that dressing room is going to go through brick walls to win for this guy 

6 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Nailed it! He had a great squad of players and for some reason after the Bastards home win it all turned to shit. 

Folk accepted the top half finish was never happening but if someone had asked me at that time about relegation I'd of bet my house against it and even with 8 games left I'd of been of the same mind. 

Weakened from the drop and weaker knowing no one in that dressing room is going to go through brick walls to win for this guy 

Baxter sounded happy enough at the prospect.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Baxter sounded happy enough at the prospect.

He would because he's back and in business again, I was talking about any players who decide to stay 

Will they be of the same disposition? I think not. 

The mess will continue to fester and then what? 

3 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

He would because he's back and in business again, I was talking about any players who decide to stay 

Will they be of the same disposition? I think not. 

The mess will continue to fester and then what? 

Where is the evidence that players stopped playing for him? If things were that bad he would have been fired by now regardless of cost.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:03 AM, Bristolatic said:

Let's just suppose we have a very good season in League 2, play entertaining, attacking football with a reasonably talented squad and bounce back. Will you then applaud what he achieves and accept that he has learned from his mistakes? Because, let's be honest, if we'd carried on playing as we did in his first half dozen games, we could easily have been top half and the discussions about him being binned off would never have occurred.

Aye, I'm pretty pissed off that we didn't stay up and yes, RW made tactics, team selection and substitution mistakes (in our eyes at least) that he didn't seem to learn from. Maybe he has now. Perhaps things are starting to settle down at BP and it could well be a happier place to be. If he could get a team playing as he did when he was caretaker, he should be able to do it again with any luck. Let's just get behind him, AL, the squad and the tea lady and let this season's clusterfuck be consigned to exactly what it is. History. Fourth tier football is a new concept for a lot of fans, so why don't we just enjoy the ride and, if he still can't get us going in the first 8 or 10 games, then we probably have every right to call for his head on a pikestaff.

Paul Warne took Rotherham down and made mistakes in his first season, however hes just taken them back up by trusting his younger players and weeding out the primadonna's, and having an older captain with a belief to succeed.  

30 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Lets face it if that idiot Mombie had not been sent off against Gillingham we would still be in Division 1 now and Rochdale relegated instead