Morecambe (a)

4 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

We need to find our best team, when we're not struggling with injuries and have Byrne back in the fold and we should be able to mount a top 7 challenge. 

We'd be in the top 7 all season with what you seen today in this League, Next two Home games we should be cruising!

8 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

Hard working display. Taylor Clarke and George very good again, Iverson motm. Some superb saves. Hunt was poor at rb, not sure how much that was due to branger not helping him. 

The midfield is the problem..missle is like a rubbish fane. Gardner had some good moments but then looks for Hollywood. Can't fault his work rate but his passing is awful at times. 

Nepo  was probably our chief threat couple of decent crosses and took his goal well. 

Cog ran his arse off and took the goal well but we needed to hold the ball better at times. Baxter showed some class especially before half time but fading out of it.

There's more to come from us but we need something else in midfield. There is defiantly a chance for someone to make a midfield spot their own. Same at rb dummigan has a good chance of coming straight back in when fit.

Not a great performance  but can't fault the effort and work rate. Wouldn't like to give up those kind of  chances every week tho.

That's how I saw it, George on his current form could be the new Tarky

15 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

We'd be in the top 7 all season with what you seen today in this League, Next two Home games we should be cruising!

I don’t think this point is made enough.

The oppo is so poor we don’t have to be amazing to do well this year. I didn’t think there was that big a difference in league one and two. But my god there is. 

However that shouldn’t distract from the fact that picking up points is never easy. 

28 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

Hard working display. Taylor Clarke and George very good again, Iverson motm. Some superb saves. Hunt was poor at rb, not sure how much that was due to branger not helping him. 

The midfield is the problem..missle is like a rubbish fane. Gardner had some good moments but then looks for Hollywood. Can't fault his work rate but his passing is awful at times. 

Nepo  was probably our chief threat couple of decent crosses and took his goal well. 

Cog ran his arse off and took the goal well but we needed to hold the ball better at times. Baxter showed some class especially before half time but fading out of it.

There's more to come from us but we need something else in midfield. There is defiantly a chance for someone to make a midfield spot their own. Same at rb dummigan has a good chance of coming straight back in when fit.

Not a great performance  but can't fault the effort and work rate. Wouldn't like to give up those kind of  chances every week tho.

From what I've seen of Missilou he's a holding midfielder who is nearly a foot smaller but can read a game and pass the ball much better than Fane. Then again neither of those are hard. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think this point is made enough.

The oppo is so poor we don’t have to be amazing to do well this year. I didn’t think there was that big a difference in league one and two. But my god there is. 

However that shouldn’t distract from the fact that picking up points is never easy. 

Fair point but we played today against a team who've scored once in five outings, our keeper has kept them out on numerous occasions with world class saves as they literally peppered our goal second half, whilst I'm more than happy to pick up fortunate wins it's not unreasonable to remain a little cautious about how much progress we've actually made.

Just got back I enjoyed  my day out. Iverson is top class we didn’t play great but won 2-0   If you win when you don’t play well that’s the sign of better things to come  think we will be up around the playoffs all season. Let’s enjoy it  

While I'm not personally a fan of some of the excessively negative posters, I don't think comments in this thread have been unfair, at all. We weren't great! Fair play to Morecambe for chucking everything at us, but only one goal scored five games in is shocking. Taylor (who looks a proper player btw) admits on twitter it wasn't the best performance. And the fans were good today, got behind the team when we under the cosh, didn't behave like pillocks, gave the lads a great ovation at the end, and saved criticism for after the game, fair play.

On the plus side, we seem to take pride in our defending, took chances when we needed to, a bond is starting to grow with the staff, players and fans. And if Iversen can sort out his kicking (and temper?) he's clearly destined for the top.

We're starting to get a picture of what kind of side we'll be this season, and I reckon we won't concede many this season, we've a few players capable of getting double figures, and the difference between midtable and potential promotion will be if we can find more fluidity in midfield, and going forward. We showed glimpses of it today, as Baxter gets more and more match-time, some of those gorgeous touches he had today will become more and more common. He'll make everyone around him look better, and we'll start looking like a better side.

The headline, though, is 3 away points, looking up rather than down, and two home games to come! Have a belting bank holiday weekend everyone! :D

42 minutes ago, archiecat said:

3 points, Iversen MoM, Bunn needs to knock that substitution on the head ( twice it has killed our momentum) and that's about it.

But didnt it stop them pissing down their left wing which is where we were exposed in the first half?

Edited by astottie

3 minutes ago, astottie said:

But didnt it stop them pissing down their left wing which is where we were exposed in the first half?

To a degree but we were then over run in the middle of the park, for me the worst aspect of the switch is Sam Graham is no right back and Rob Hunt is definitely no right midfielder, you could understand the change to a degree against Macc because of the substitutions they made but Morecambe didn't deserve that level of respect.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

To a degree but we were then over run in the middle of the park, for me the worst aspect of the switch is Sam Graham is no right back and Rob Hunt is definitely no right midfielder, you could understand the change to a degree against Macc because of the substitutions they made but Morecambe didn't deserve that level of respect.

Yep agreed but isnt that always a possibility with 442 with wingers. They can cover their full back or tuck inside to bolster midfield but they cant do both. Branger tucked inside today and left hunt to cope like byrne did with dummigan at times last year. In my view Dummigan can manage better than Hunt. I think it worked.

Just now, astottie said:

Yep agreed but isnt that always a possibility with 442 with wingers. They can cover their full back or tuck inside to bolster midfield but they cant do both. Branger tucked inside today and left hunt to cope like byrne did with dummigan at times last year. In my view Dummigan can manage better than Hunt. I think it worked.

Personally think Dummigan will come back into the midfield on the right, that's where Bunn favoured him prior to his injury in pre season. 

39 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Good win but credit to Morecambe who kept going. Should give our scorers confidence. Great saves by motm. 

Now celebrating in Morecambe all night. Good away supporters 

Have a great time my friend, I'm home in Heysham (20 minutes walk from the ground) and it's been a bloody fantastic day and the fans were treated to some lovely weather that really compliments the town