Wages surely not again ?

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

If I remember rightly, I don't think we signed anyone of note (possibly anyone at all..) the summer after the great escape... it was only really going to end one way (although I blame Graeme Sharp for starting the decline more than anyone because of the sitter he missed at Wembley in the semi..).

Lee Richardson. Proved himself to be a useful goal scorer from midfield. Think we would have signed a Goalie too. 

Oops wrong year

Edited by rudemedic

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Lee Richardson. Proved himself to be a useful goal scorer from midfield. Think we would have signed a Goalie too. 

That was after relegation. Made his debut v Charlton, scored two screamers. Thought going back up was a formality. 

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

If I remember rightly, I don't think we signed anyone of note (possibly anyone at all..) the summer after the great escape... it was only really going to end one way (although I blame Graeme Sharp for starting the decline more than anyone because of the sitter he missed at Wembley in the semi..).

Not sure if they were summer signings, but we added Super Sean, got Ricky back, and signed Tore Pedersen for that season.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

That was after relegation. Made his debut v Charlton, scored two screamers. Thought going back up was a formality. 

I remember this match and watching Richardson sneak over the half way line, shoot and score. :D I thought the same as you, then I think it all went tits up when Southend came to BP and won. I also recall Richardson scoring from the halfway line in a foggy match, can't remember who against, though.

25 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I remember this match and watching Richardson sneak over the half way line, shoot and score. :D I thought the same as you, then I think it all went tits up when Southend came to BP and won. I also recall Richardson scoring from the halfway line in a foggy match, can't remember who against, though.

That was Mark Brennan

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

v Chelsea.  Whatever happened to them?

We scored 2 long distance goals against them that season - the first season the backpass rule came in. Nick Henry at Chelsea away on the first match of the season was the other one iirc?

1 minute ago, maddog said:

We scored 2 long distance goals against them that season - the first season the backpass rule came in. Nick Henry at Chelsea away on the first match of the season was the other one iirc?

I remember that goal, Dave Beasant made a pig's ear of it.  Not sure it was the same season though

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I remember that goal, Dave Beasant made a pig's ear of it.  Not sure it was the same season though

92/93.  I went to that game. Blackburn supporting mate travelled down with me to watch Shearers debut at Palace. 

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure if they were summer signings, but we added Super Sean, got Ricky back, and signed Tore Pedersen for that season.

That was definitely well into the season.  Think Tricky Ricky played against us for City at Maine Road.

Got sent off on his home debut against Arsenal for pushing Lee Dixon. An injustice. 

1 hour ago, maddog said:

The first game of the season goal was one of my favourite Latics goals ever. We were stood on the terrace at the opposite end and it seemed to take an age to go in. 

We owned Chelsea when we were in the top flight. They only beat us once and we did them four times. We'd have beaten them in the FA Cup final in '94... if Sharp hadn't missed THAT sitter!!!

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The first game of the season goal was one of my favourite Latics goals ever. We were stood on the terrace at the opposite end and it seemed to take an age to go in. 

We owned Chelsea when we were in the top flight. They only beat us once and we did them four times. We'd have beaten them in the FA Cup final in '94... if Sharp hadn't missed THAT sitter!!!

You need to let this go, it's not healthy. it's eating away at your soul…..it's nearly 30 (THIRTY.....jeez, I feel old) years ago. 

As much as I feel angry with Sharp for that miss, he held up the ball and wasted time when we were frustrating Utd by putting the ball out for a throw in by United corner flag. I felt at the time, IRC, Big Joe should have brought Ritchie on to replace Beckford because he was incapable of holding the ball up.

Bugger...….I'm falling into grumpy old fan mode!!!

48 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

You need to let this go, it's not healthy. it's eating away at your soul…..it's nearly 30 (THIRTY.....jeez, I feel old) years ago. 

As much as I feel angry with Sharp for that miss, he held up the ball and wasted time when we were frustrating Utd by putting the ball out for a throw in by United corner flag. I felt at the time, IRC, Big Joe should have brought Ritchie on to replace Beckford because he was incapable of holding the ball up.

Bugger...….I'm falling into grumpy old fan mode!!!

Right there with you, brother..

It isn't healthy to hang on to it, but that day by quite some distance, the worst footballing experience I've had... and it was my birthday! 

We'd have stayed up and won the FA Cup....and then who knows? That scenario is never likely to happen again... and it sort of felt like it at the time. 

It's funny how some remember Sharp as being good for us. The sitter aside, I think the general feeling from the fans towards him at the time was that he was lazy and only here for a last pay-cheque before retirement. Had the odd good game, but never a fans favourite... so we made him manager. 

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

.....that day by quite some distance, the worst footballing experience I've had.....

We'd have stayed up and won the FA Cup....and then who knows? That scenario is never likely to happen again... and it sort of felt like it at the time. 

It's funny how some remember Sharp as being good for us...... the general feeling from the fans towards him at the time was that he was lazy and only here for a last pay-cheque before retirement.

It’s the closest I’ll come to post traumatic stress. I don’t think I spoke 2 words for 48 hours afterwards. 2 united fans with cockney accents crossed my path on the way out, then that journey up the M6 again, with their northern contingent celebrating a draw, while I was still in shock, was exceedingly unpleasant. I recall willing their coaches to burst into flames or crash. I was 17 and had to face a load of them - most of whom wouldn’t have been to Wembley - at college on the Monday. To make matters worse, I’d listened to the same tape of music on my Sony Walkman before every round/fixture in that cup run, inc Stoke away - which I also went to. It was while en route to Maine Road days later that I realised I’d forgotten it. My hatred of Man Utd for these games, Mark Robins / Nick Henry’s goal in ‘90, Brian McClair in ‘91 and the 3-2 game with Sean McCarthy’s screamer just before the ‘94 Semi’s - I went to every game - know’s no limits. I f*ckin detest the c&#s. I’m getting angry typing this.....

....However, my recollection of Sharp - the player - is different. Yes, he missed THAT sitter. He was accused of being lazy, but when have Latics ever been a payday - unless you’re Mohamed Maouche or Queensy Menig? He was a class act. He won an incredible amount of headers given he wasn’t the tallest. His early leap and hang was brilliant to watch. His hold up play some of the best. He didn’t chase lost causes, he conserved energy for the battles he could win - and then won a lot of them. He was also top scorer in 2 of 3 seasons & some of his performances - like City away in ‘91 were sublime. No, Sharp was a good signing and a good player, albeit he was better before his injury.

16 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....However, my recollection of Sharp - the player - is different. Yes, he missed THAT sitter. He was accused of being lazy, but when have Latics ever been a payday - unless you’re Mohamed Maouche or Queensy Menig? He was a class act. He won an incredible amount of headers given he wasn’t the tallest. His early leap and hang was brilliant to watch. His hold up play some of the best. He didn’t chase lost causes, he conserved energy for the battles he could win - and then won a lot of them. He was also top scorer in 2 of 3 seasons & some of his performances - like City away in ‘91 were sublime. No, Sharp was a good signing and a good player, albeit he was better before his injury.

Sharp was on his way down when we picked him up but was still a decent player. He had a deceptively languid style about him that could often be mistaken for a player coasting through a game. Definitely a class act on his day.

Still missed that sitter though... ?

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

It’s the closest I’ll come to post traumatic stress. I don’t think I spoke 2 words for 48 hours afterwards. 2 united fans with cockney accents crossed my path on the way out, then that journey up the M6 again, with their northern contingent celebrating a draw, while I was still in shock, was exceedingly unpleasant. I recall willing their coaches to burst into flames or crash. I was 17 and had to face a load of them - most of whom wouldn’t have been to Wembley - at college on the Monday. To make matters worse, I’d listened to the same tape of music on my Sony Walkman before every round/fixture in that cup run, inc Stoke away - which I also went to. It was while en route to Maine Road days later that I realised I’d forgotten it. My hatred of Man Utd for these games, Mark Robins / Nick Henry’s goal in ‘90, Brian McClair in ‘91 and the 3-2 game with Sean McCarthy’s screamer just before the ‘94 Semi’s - I went to every game - know’s no limits. I f*ckin detest the c&#s. I’m getting angry typing this.....

Totally agree about Sharp the player, he looked a class above anything we had at the time and it was clear he was a player who’d spent his career in the top flight. He was never a clinical finisher in his career, but always scored a decent amount of goals. It’s true to say though that miss in the SF but perhaps worse the one at Goodson in the league when he was 1 on 1 with Southall and virtually passed it to him (and then winked at the Gwladys Street end!) were boots on his playing career with us.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Could be worse Andy. At least you can't remember Macari in 1975

And let's not forget the David Brown affair. 

Edited by Dave_Og

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

This could have been written by me. Exactly how I feel, felt and recall.  

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Remember like it was yesterday - the big flag, the band we had in our end, the moment we thought Ince had been sent off, but the ref had got the wrong card out, "always look on the bright side of life", time standing still as the ball looped in towards Hughes, trouble in our end as United fans had inexplicably bought tickets for our end, three Manc lads on the tube back into London screaming "you going to be sick in your (Latics bucket) hat, mete?" across the carraige to me.

Hate 'em.

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

...However, my recollection of Sharp - the player - is different. Yes, he missed THAT sitter. He was accused of being lazy, but when have Latics ever been a payday - unless you’re Mohamed Maouche or Queensy Menig? He was a class act. He won an incredible amount of headers given he wasn’t the tallest. His early leap and hang was brilliant to watch. His hold up play some of the best. He didn’t chase lost causes, he conserved energy for the battles he could win - and then won a lot of them. He was also top scorer in 2 of 3 seasons & some of his performances - like City away in ‘91 were sublime. No, Sharp was a good signing and a good player, albeit he was better before his injury.

I think he applied his "wouldn't chase lost causes" philosophy to games we were losing as well. If things weren't going his way, he seemed to give up quite easily when, as a senior player, the team should have been looking to him for motivation. I never remember him being particularly popular with the fans and his goal-scoring record was greatly inflated with single games when he did decide to turn up (four against Luton, two (penalties!) against Villa and the two at Maine Road). He probably would get in a lot of people's best Latics XI but, for a variety of reasons, he gets into my worst XI.

Anyway, probably ruined a few weekends by bringing this up again and diverting from the thread subject, so I'll say no more about it... but it has been therapeutic!

Edited by JoeP

2 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Thanks Joe. If only for surpassing the miserable Brisbane weekend weather by bringing up the divisive Sharp. Made me bring up my dinner.

2 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Thanks Joe. If only for surpassing the miserable Brisbane weekend weather by bringing up the divisive Sharp. Made me bring up my dinner.

So good you brought it up twice!!!