Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2020 at 4:48 PM, Dave_Og said:

Who's confident that the vaccine, if approved, will be rolled out efficiently?  Mu partner, recently retired nurse of 35 years standing, been asked to come out of retirement and pay £195 to be included in the pool of available staff.  Great plan...

Meanwhile my mate's 86 year old Mum has had the same offer.  My mum's offer (she's 88) must be in the post.

Will all depend on how much parliament can change it's legislation. There was a public consultation about it in mid-September. 

Essentially without that change in legislation only doctors (effectively only GPs) can give the vaccine initially as it won't have been deemed safe officially at that stage. Giving a vaccine is relatively easy and the governments proposed change didn't go far enough IMHO as only regulated and registered health care workers could give it with the change. That excluded thousands of other potential vaccinators who could easily do it, because they've already got the skills. Without the change in legislation it will take a very, very long time to complete the vaccination programme. 

The keeping the vaccine at - 70°C will also be a significant problem. I don't think every hospital, nevermind GP practices, have the facilities to do that. 

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Will all depend on how much parliament can change it's legislation. There was a public consultation about it in mid-September. 

Essentially without that change in legislation only doctors (effectively only GPs) can give the vaccine initially as it won't have been deemed safe officially at that stage. Giving a vaccine is relatively easy and the governments proposed change didn't go far enough IMHO as only regulated and registered health care workers could give it with the change. That excluded thousands of other potential vaccinators who could easily do it, because they've already got the skills. Without the change in legislation it will take a very, very long time to complete the vaccination programme. 

The keeping the vaccine at - 70°C will also be a significant problem. I don't think every hospital, nevermind GP practices, have the facilities to do that. 

My partner's offer was to pay to attend sessions where she could then be authorised to train others to give the vaccine. They are mad if they think significant numbers of suitable health professionals will take up that offer. 

13 hours ago, rudemedic said:

They've said it can be transported in dry ice and then would keep 3 or 4 days at normal fridge temperatures. 

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

They are talking about setting up walk in areas and also going to a pharmacy, like the flu jab, except you won't have to pay. It will take a long time, and only covers people over 50 for now as I understand it, because we have only purchased enough for 20 million people. The Oxford vaccine should also be available soon if everything has gone well. 

13 minutes ago, al_bro said:

They are talking about setting up walk in areas and also going to a pharmacy, like the flu jab, except you won't have to pay. It will take a long time, and only covers people over 50 for now as I understand it, because we have only purchased enough for 20 million people. The Oxford vaccine should also be available soon if everything has gone well. 

Some jabs, yellow fever is one, require specific qualifications to give.  I've no idea if this is one but the fact they are asking for people to be trained to do so suggest it might be.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Some jabs, yellow fever is one, require specific qualifications to give.  I've no idea if this is one but the fact they are asking for people to be trained to do so suggest it might be.

Is that the one you get at the bottom of the back which shoots down the sciatic nerve. It was very uncomfortable if that was the one had before going to Bali.

39 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Is that the one you get at the bottom of the back which shoots down the sciatic nerve. It was very uncomfortable if that was the one had before going to Bali.

you know more than me!  I know it was a two day course for my pet nurse to be qualified

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

Yes if you are given it in the wrong place,

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It is possible that if it only has an emergency licence, that it will have to be given by a doctor. It may require special legislation to be given by a pharmacist.

On 11/14/2020 at 12:09 AM, rudemedic said:

Most routine hospital blood banks will have storage down to -30 degrees C to store Fresh Frozen Plasma.  I do not know about pharmacy department requirements.  

Minus 70 is a big ask, no doubt there will be some venture capitalist operating from their front room willing to supply kit at great cost. 🙂

19 hours ago, al_bro said:

No it's the one that makes you feel you've been hit by a bus for about a week (cytokines and all that).  If you're over 60 and if you are still alive after about 2 weeks you should be ok 😀.  It does last for life though

8 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Most routine hospital blood banks will have storage down to -30 degrees C to store Fresh Frozen Plasma.  I do not know about pharmacy department requirements.  

Minus 70 is a big ask, no doubt there will be some venture capitalist operating from their front room willing to supply kit at great cost. 🙂

No it's the one that makes you feel you've been hit by a bus for about a week (cytokines and all that).  If you're over 60 and if you are still alive after about 2 weeks you should be ok 😀.  It does last for life though

in one of my previous jobs we had to occasionally  had to run volatile chemicals from Manchester uni to Southampton for disposal .finding a freezer van that could stay below -25% to keep it stable was a bind not saying it can't be done but its going to be a logistics nightmare 

23 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

in one of my previous jobs we had to occasionally  had to run volatile chemicals from Manchester uni to Southampton for disposal .finding a freezer van that could stay below -25% to keep it stable was a bind not saying it can't be done but its going to be a logistics nightmare 

The boxes the vaccine is transported in are supposed to keep them at the correct temperature using dry ice. They aren't very big boxes, so can be kept in surgeries and once removed can be kept in their fridges for a few days.. However a GP on TV today, said surgery fridges would have to be emptied of vaccines and other medications, in order to store enough of these vaccines. Either that or buy more fridges. I guess this situation arises with any vaccine required for the virus.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:22 PM, al_bro said:

The boxes the vaccine is transported in are supposed to keep them at the correct temperature using dry ice. They aren't very big boxes, so can be kept in surgeries and once removed can be kept in their fridges for a few days.. However a GP on TV today, said surgery fridges would have to be emptied of vaccines and other medications, in order to store enough of these vaccines. Either that or buy more fridges. I guess this situation arises with any vaccine required for the virus.

I don’t think these vaccines will take so much fridge space, and new fridges have been funded this year for the flu campaign. 

The vaccine in rumoured to come in 5 dose vials. Flu vaccines are individual ready made up syringes and hence take up considerably more space. Flu vaccines are mostly given already, so GPs fridges should have room. 

Apparently the highest infection rates are in schoolchildren and young adults, what the fuck did this inept government think was going to happen once they opened the schools and university halls of residence. And the cost of this most probably means more small retail outlets and licensed premises going out of business. Matt fucking Hancock we would have been better off with Tony Hancock. 

32 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Apparently the highest infection rates are in schoolchildren and young adults, what the fuck did this inept government think was going to happen once they opened the schools and university halls of residence. And the cost of this most probably means more small retail outlets and licensed premises going out of business. Matt fucking Hancock we would have been better off with Tony Hancock. 

Or Nick Hancock.

So, frigging great lumps of the country will be in tier 3, but it all changes for 5 days at Christmas. Then what? Oh, of course, get ready for the third spike. What brilliant thinking by Bumbling Boris and his equally bumbling cabinet. Obviously, the scientists (who's advice they said they would always follow), know sweet sod all.

If they'd listened to previous advice, like they said they had (but didn't), we could be in a much better position now. 

11 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Or Nick Hancock.

So, frigging great lumps of the country will be in tier 3, but it all changes for 5 days at Christmas. Then what? Oh, of course, get ready for the third spike. What brilliant thinking by Bumbling Boris and his equally bumbling cabinet. Obviously, the scientists (who's advice they said they would always follow), know sweet sod all.

If they'd listened to previous advice, like they said they had (but didn't), we could be in a much better position now. 

Exactly this 5 day Xmas thing is laughable, what do they think is going to happen, only 3 families my arse, it will be a free for all. Either do this properly or let people just get on with it, half baked half arsed ideas. 

7 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Or Nick Hancock.

7 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

It was a scientist, or the chief medical officer (can't remember which) who said that someone with covid attending a football match would only infect the people sat around them. Totally ignoring travelling to and from the ground, queueing up to get in, going to the toilets, going to the bar and getting something to eat.

As far as Christmas goes, I expect most people will use their common sense and not travel around to visit vulnerable people. Why risk it when the end is so close, after nearly a full year of isolating.

Well the initial joy of being placed in tier 1 and being able to visit the characters in the Bull's Head without the need of a "substantial meal" is slowly wearing off. Undoubtedly hordes of people will descend on the place now, possibly throwing us into a higher tier around christmas. Undoubtedly some will complain about how unfriendly the locals are, but we might have to suffer the consequences once they've left.

The tamar bridge will certainly be busy in the next few weeks with travellers from Plymouth alone as they're in tier 2. The Royal Albert Bridge Inn (RABI) by the riverside in Plymouth serving drink with food only, or across the river you're free to drink in Saltash at the Railway or Brunel? Decisions, decisions.

We were concerned that we would be included with Bristol due to them incorporating the whole of the south west from Somerset down to Dorset and Penzance but as always they work in mysterious ways. Much too complicated for us plebs.

I do wonder about the sense of it all when over 60's such as me are being shielded yet a 23 year old and a 31 year old have now been told that they're terminally ill with cancer after their diagnoses were delayed due to the virus.

So in the meantime we'll enjoy the lesser restrictions and be as careful as we have been and see what evolves as there's sod all that we can do about it.

Any mathematicians on here?  
in Liverpool over the last 2 weeks they have tested circa 200k.....one of the benefits is that they say they have found 800 asymptomatic positives . My O level Maths tells me that is 400 per 100k even without symptomatic positives .   How is it possible that the official figure for Liverpool is 147 per 100k for 15th Nov to 22nd Nov? 

Archived