Playing squad, summer 2020

17 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this kind of bollocks "don't dare dream, just suck it up until someone else will bankroll it" attitude that has put us where we are; on the seabed of the football league with dozens of traditionally smaller clubs looking way, way down at us. Fucking season after season of revolving door strategy with the player calibre going shitter and shitter with each revolution. We've lost 1,000 regulars in a season because of it. 2,000 over the course of ten years.

The owner should be scrutinised at every opportunity and his borrow-off-Peter-to-pay-Paul strategy called out for what it is. 

This was Corney's way of running the club, until he could no longer borrow to pay the bills. Leaving us in a complete mess of alleged undisclosed debts.

I don't know where AL is getting the money from, but the club is losing £1m a year. If AL manages to buy the stadium in the name of the club, then quite a lot of that £1m could be made up from the income generated if it's done properly. The first thing would have to be a winning team to get attendancies up, so that more money is spent on match days.

I agree with you about the players brought in over the years. The playing budget for 2018/19 could have been about £3.5m, because the turnover would have allowed that, but I don't think it was anything like that.

As the EFL is so pitifully poor at checking out new owners (see Wigan) we need to be very careful we don't get someone worse. 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was Corney's way of running the club, until he could no longer borrow to pay the bills. Leaving us in a complete mess of alleged undisclosed debts.

I remember him saying that if he was to suddenly die unexpectedly the club is on a sound footing and would be able to carry on as normal.

”What a complete twat!!!”

46 minutes ago, al_bro said:

This was Corney's way of running the club, until he could no longer borrow to pay the bills. Leaving us in a complete mess of alleged undisclosed debts.

I don't know where AL is getting the money from, but the club is losing £1m a year. If AL manages to buy the stadium in the name of the club, then quite a lot of that £1m could be made up from the income generated if it's done properly. The first thing would have to be a winning team to get attendancies up, so that more money is spent on match days.

I agree with you about the players brought in over the years. The playing budget for 2018/19 could have been about £3.5m, because the turnover would have allowed that, but I don't think it was anything like that.

As the EFL is so pitifully poor at checking out new owners (see Wigan) we need to be very careful we don't get someone worse. 

What have you seen from the current owners that suggests they can do anything properly?

They haven't a fucking clue what they're doing and they're not willing to learn.  They're going to do it their way and their way only and it'll take us over the cliff..

9 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Who is saying shut up and support the club? It is just as relevant to point out that there are few options out there for change -I wish there were.

And what do you suggest to change this-play 'Always look on the bright side of life' across the town centre? Again lots of questions but no answers.

You are! Why are you defending him? 

Do you like what you have seen become the club become in the last 3 years which bearing in mind the state the previous owner left is a pretty sorry state of afffairs when you consider the state the previous owner left us is in. 

Oh and in terms of not having any solutions here are several things that he could do that would reduce the losses get people back through the door see and improvement on the pitch. Several things Ive suggested before.

- Stop signing crap foreign players from his agent mates build a recruitment policy around young hungry players with a sprinkling of good steady eddy experienced pros preferably with connections to the area. More Jonny Smiths and less Sonny Sefils please.

- Have faith in managers and coaching staff they will keep failing if you don't

- Bin off Mo hes a liability and costs us hundreds of thousands (actually its probably into the millions) in bad player recruitment.

- Bin off Barry Owen again a liability and an embarrassment who has an appalling attitude towards the fans by treating everyone like a common criminal.

- Stop interfering and falling out with everybody again its counter productive.

- Engage with the fan led group and the OEC again its counter productive to do the opposite and will just drive fans away.

If he can't do the above just sell up and leave because its only going to get worse he doesn't have to be here.

I know this doesn't sit well with people like yourself who like to crow about how super dooper loyal you are, and come without with lines such as "who will buy us" and "if you don't like it go and support manyoo"

Ofcourse if he wants to carry on down this road twattery then ofcourse many of us won't renew season tickets or go to games We owe them nothing. 

Couldn't agree more with your last sentence.

You can rant and rave all you want about where we are now in footballs hierarchy but you like others have no answers to who is going to fund the club other than this owner. A dream is all it is at the moment.

Where is the bid from OEC with funding in place from  mystery backers? Nearly a year since this was mooted.

Who is saying shut up and support the club? It is just as relevant to point out that there are few options out there for change -I wish there were.

And what do you suggest to change this-play 'Always look on the bright side of life' across the town centre? Again lots of questions but no answers.

Can you name anything him and his brother have got right?

On the trajectory since he took over, we will be in the Conf next season.

At some point you have to say enough.

Even a tiny bit of normal management of a club could bring about a change in fortunes.

OK. Lets get the most important things out of the way first.

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I know this doesn't sit well with people like yourself who like to crow about how super dooper loyal you are, and come without with lines such as "who will buy us" and "if you don't like it go and support manyoo"

I have never crowed about my support-you have no idea how long I have been going to BP because I have never stated it. I happen to think staying away from the club does nothing but harm it-you disagree-Fine.

I wouldn't wish watching Manyoo on my worst enemy. can't stand the club. If you support Latics you support Latics end of.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You are! Why are you defending him? 

This old chestnut again. If you don't hate him on here then you have to be for him. Not the case -having alternative view to many on here does not mean like or are defending the guy. What does get my goat is posters doing nothing but bitch about the regime but having no alternative to offer.

£60,000 or £200,000 a month in funding it has to be found or there is no club. Bottom line is if he stops then the club folds.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

If he can't do the above just sell up and leave because its only going to get worse he doesn't have to be here.

And here is where it gets difficult-sell to who-your beloved OEC who have done tap all since September except muddy the waters. So yes he does have to be here until or if there is a new owner.

12 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Our fan base doesn't have toxic in it. Some would turn up if they were playing on the car park, others are easily swayed by a few decent results and the most of the rest have given up the ghost.

Scholes was the big chance to turn the ship around and they blew it.

I thought Wellens was our big chance?? 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nah, it was Scholes.  Based on the fact that all great players make great managers...

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Wellens was and clearly still is a talent, twas a very short sighted decision to remove him.

Scholes was the golden egg in terms of raising profile and attracting players.

OK. Lets get the most important things out of the way first.

I have never crowed about my support-you have no idea how long I have been going to BP because I have never stated it. I happen to think staying away from the club does nothing but harm it-you disagree-Fine.

I wouldn't wish watching Manyoo on my worst enemy. can't stand the club. If you support Latics you support Latics end of.

This old chestnut again. If you don't hate him on here then you have to be for him. Not the case -having alternative view to many on here does not mean like or are defending the guy. What does get my goat is posters doing nothing but bitch about the regime but having no alternative to offer.

£60,000 or £200,000 a month in funding it has to be found or there is no club. Bottom line is if he stops then the club folds.

And here is where it gets difficult-sell to who-your beloved OEC who have done tap all since September except muddy the waters. So yes he does have to be here until or if there is a new owner.

More brilliant mental gymnastics. 😄 

I offered several solutions to our problems you have conveniently edited them out in your reply what are your thoughts on them btw. They would get me back onside probably lots of others too. 

Interms of how long you have supported us well you reference Maurice Whittle so quick Maths that says atleast 50 years. Does seeing the club in the current state not break your heart? Bearing in mind you will have witnessed the success of both Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle and even the comparitive successes under Iain Dowie and John Sheridan. You cannot enjoy seeing our lowest crowds our lowest league position in 50 years and after signing over 40 players plenty of whom didn't play and many that did I wish hadn't we are unsurprisingly struggling to pay the bills.

But it doesn't have to be this way.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He probably wouldn't have had to be great to make a good go of it, alas we may never know.

You're right, we won't ever know for certain, but even in his short stint there was nothing to suggest he WAS up to it - in fact I'd go as far to say the performances were the worst of the worst that we've seen under this Golden Era at Latics. 

As for raising the profile of the club, I'm not so sure. Doesn't seem to have the personality to generate that sort of attention. I think the media were even well past the "Paul Scholes' Oldham" thing by the time he resigned. 

Could probably attract players, but would he know what's needed for this division? Any up and coming United youth players he could borrow would be kicked off the park. 

No manager can succeed under this ownership, but even in the most perfect scenario, I'm not sure I'd be keen to revisit the Paul Scholes experiment..

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

You're right, we won't ever know for certain, but even in his short stint there was nothing to suggest he WAS up to it - in fact I'd go as far to say the performances were the worst of the worst that we've seen under this Golden Era at Latics. 

As for raising the profile of the club, I'm not so sure. Doesn't seem to have the personality to generate that sort of attention. I think the media were even well past the "Paul Scholes' Oldham" thing by the time he resigned. 

Could probably attract players, but would he know what's needed for this division? Any up and coming United youth players he could borrow would be kicked off the park. 

No manager can succeed under this ownership, but even in the most perfect scenario, I'm not sure I'd be keen to revisit the Paul Scholes experiment..

We cant keep blaming managers though, Bunn, Wellens and Scholes were all capable but were operating in circumstances were anything they had to offer was stifled by the Lemsagams.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We cant keep blaming managers though, Bunn, Wellens and Scholes were all capable but were operating in circumstances were anything they had to offer was stifled by the Lemsagams.

No blame for the managers from me - as I say no manager can succeed under this ownership.

Wellens or Bunn I'd have back tomorrow, under a competent ownership.  Scholes, I wouldn't - there was no evidence to suggest he was capable (in fact more the opposite).

11 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Was roy Keane a good manager? He did very well when still young using his contacts for sunderland. I'm sure Scholes would have been similar. 

Strange example to use - completely different personality and only any good for one season, if I remember rightly.

See Sheringham at Stevenage - ticked the same boxes at Scholes (except being a fan, of course) and look how that turned out..

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Was roy Keane a good manager? He did very well when still young using his contacts for sunderland. I'm sure Scholes would have been similar. 

He took over Sunderland at the foot of the championship in August and took them to the championship title in May which was impressive after that he hasn't done much apart from give alot of soundbites on Sky and proving why he failed as a manager. They are very different personalities Scholes isn't what you would call a natural leader arguably Keane is too intense to man manage players of whom won't have the ability of the players that Keane played with. 

Scholes brought in Zak Dearnley and reinvigorated Jose Baxter but the results were poor we don't know if this would have improved. But had Abdullah and his dickhead brother not interfered and given him time as Peter Clarke suggested and still failed then it would have put the argument to bed alas we will never know what might have happened.

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Scholes brought in Zak Dearnley and reinvigorated Jose Baxter but the results were poor we don't know if this would have improved. But had Abdullah and his dickhead brother not interfered and given him time as Peter Clarke suggested and still failed then it would have put the argument to bed alas we will never know what might have happened.

Morecambe one was the killer but we had Lincoln and Bury away and some late goals against in other games which skewed his record considerably.

Pity he didn't get the chance to recruit his own players!

On 7/3/2020 at 12:22 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's this kind of bollocks "don't dare dream, just suck it up until someone else will bankroll it" attitude that has put us where we are; on the seabed of the football league with dozens of traditionally smaller clubs looking way, way down at us. Fucking season after season of revolving door strategy with the player calibre going shitter and shitter with each revolution. We've lost 1,000 regulars in a season because of it. 2,000 over the course of ten years.

The owner should be scrutinised at every opportunity and his borrow-off-Peter-to-pay-Paul strategy called out for what it is. 

How do I ‘Like’ this post 125 times?

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Wellens was and clearly still is a talent, twas a very short sighted decision to remove him.

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He probably wouldn't have had to be great to make a good go of it, alas we may never know.

Bang on.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He took over Sunderland at the foot of the championship in August and took them to the championship title in May which was impressive after that he hasn't done much apart from give alot of soundbites on Sky and proving why he failed as a manager. They are very different personalities Scholes isn't what you would call a natural leader arguably Keane is too intense to man manage players of whom won't have the ability of the players that Keane played with. 

I share the same view and memory of what actually went on.

Anybody around BP during Paul Scholes short reign cant have been immune to the 'feel good factor'. The hope and probably over inflated expectation was there, dont bother what the mainstream media wrote, I saw it first hand.

As said, we cant definitively judge his managerial ability on a few games.

What was abundantly clear however is Paul Scholes forthright opinion on players ability, either way.

Did attract young talent, said Baxter and Nepo had a lot to offer, I agreed with that.

13 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Wellens is getting the benefit of some hazy memories here.

Seven points from 24 at the back end of our relegation season.

He never showed an ability to change the game up when with us - think we only ever came from behind to win once, and he never went for the jugular in five games where one win would've been enough.  Sticking with Gardner when he was out of form for months was also very strange.

He's done well at Swindon where things have clicked and he's had budget.  Not sure he's the man for a team facing a scrap though.

Don't get me wrong, he's better than the last couple of managers we've had, but I'm not sure he's anything special for this level.

5 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Wellens is getting the benefit of some hazy memories here.

Seven points from 24 at the back end of our relegation season.

He never showed an ability to change the game up when with us - think we only ever came from behind to win once, and he never went for the jugular in five games where one win would've been enough.  Sticking with Gardner when he was out of form for months was also very strange.

He's done well at Swindon where things have clicked and he's had budget.  Not sure he's the man for a team facing a scrap though.

Don't get me wrong, he's better than the last couple of managers we've had, but I'm not sure he's anything special for this level.

He was a rookie, would have been more surprising if he had all the answers.

Archived