Playing squad, summer 2020

2 hours ago, StoodinaBoshell said:

Alan Nixon confirming that Emmerson has signed for Brighton. Be nice if our club actually communicated this, rather than denying his very existence on the retained list!

He's only a kid, do we usually have them on the retained list? 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This move has been in the pipeline for weeks. A little piece on the website informing fans of his departure is surely not too much to ask, however, this is the usual way our club operates these days!

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Wheater is available. AL wants him off the wage bill.

To be honest I've been disappointed with his contribution bearing in mind the salary he probably commands.

If we could get Piergianni plus another relatively experienced central defender for the same money, or less, I doubt we'd miss him.

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

To be honest I've been disappointed with his contribution bearing in mind the salary he probably commands.

If we could get Piergianni plus another relatively experienced central defender for the same money, or less, I doubt we'd miss him.

His stats were pretty good, the chances of the Lemsagams attracting a better player for less money must be pretty slim.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

His stats were pretty good, the chances of the Lemsagams attracting a better player for less money must be pretty slim.

Don't know much about stats but I've seen all his home games and was a bit disappointed, perhaps I expected too much.

There are plenty of fairly experienced centre halves with a bit less reputation who'll come a lot cheaper than him, it's finding them that's the problem. Unfortunately our scouting system is somewhat flawed.

53 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Don't know much about stats but I've seen all his home games and was a bit disappointed, perhaps I expected too much.

There are plenty of fairly experienced centre halves with a bit less reputation who'll come a lot cheaper than him, it's finding them that's the problem. Unfortunately our scouting system is somewhat flawed.

The major difference between Clarke and Wheater is that Clarke for his entire time here had a competent partner with him in central defence and a competent goalkeeper behind him. Wheater has only had a competent partner since Piergianni came in as a result he looked better. The goalkeepers behind him Woods and De la Paz have been no match for what Clarke had behind him in Ripley and Iverson. He did about aswell as we could realistically expect from 1 man with his best years behind him and playing along side an army of crap french amateurs.

For anyone questioning whether keeping Wheater is the right thing to do or not, probably worth looking at the teams rumoured to be interested in him and what their ambitions are.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, StoodinaBoshell said:

Alan Nixon confirming that Emmerson has signed for Brighton. Be nice if our club actually communicated this, rather than denying his very existence on the retained list!

And Zak Emerson himself confirming it..

We do things properly round 'ere. 

https://twitter.com/ZakZakemmo/status/1282278992628809728?s=19

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The major difference between Clarke and Wheater is that Clarke for his entire time here had a competent partner with him in central defence and a competent goalkeeper behind him. Wheater has only had a competent partner since Piergianni came in as a result he looked better. The goalkeepers behind him Woods and De la Paz have been no match for what Clarke had behind him in Ripley and Iverson. He did about aswell as we could realistically expect from 1 man with his best years behind him and playing along side an army of crap french amateurs.

I make you right and agree. However I do think the main difference between the two of them is that Clarke used to drag us over the line in games by scoring,  blocking one on the line,  last ditch tackle etc. I haven't really seen that from Wheater. 

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I make you right and agree. However I do think the main difference between the two of them is that Clarke used to drag us over the line in games by scoring,  blocking one on the line,  last ditch tackle etc. I haven't really seen that from Wheater. 

Clarke’s final League 2 season with us: League games Played 42, Goals scored 3.

Wheater by comparison: 

League games Played 34, Goals Scored 4

And off the top of my head:

Cambridge away - Wheater scored the winner 

Plymouth away - Wheater scores to earn Latics a point

Crawley at home - losing when Wheater equalises. We went on to win the game with Maouche bagging the winner 😎

Just saying like...

Speaking to a old mate of mine I'd not seen in a year or so recently, was interesting what he had to say. His lad was at Oldham and now down at City, after city paid 20K to the club. He was talking amongst other things about our owner and that he recently spoke to a club employee. This employee was saying that the owner gets lots of grief off the fans and whilst the owner had made mistakes, and admits he has, he'd also paid off a lot of debts no one knew about. In fact, he'd never been paid on time or there about more in his time at the club. He also added he believed the owner was trying to get the club on a good footing. Just thought I'd share that.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wheater by comparison: 

Crawley at home - losing when Wheater equalises. We went on to win the game with Maouche bagging the winner 😎

Just saying like...

Please could you provide me with some more stats around blocks, tackles etc, cheers. 

5 hours ago, welshgaz said:

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wheater by comparison: 

Just saying like...

6 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Please could you provide me with some more stats around blocks, tackles etc, cheers. 

I will do when you acknowledge that your initial point was quite probably a load of old tosh 😉

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Speaking to a old mate of mine I'd not seen in a year or so recently, was interesting what he had to say. His lad was at Oldham and now down at City, after city paid 20K to the club. He was talking amongst other things about our owner and that he recently spoke to a club employee. This employee was saying that the owner gets lots of grief off the fans and whilst the owner had made mistakes, and admits he has, he'd also paid off a lot of debts no one knew about. In fact, he'd never been paid on time or there about more in his time at the club. He also added he believed the owner was trying to get the club on a good footing. Just thought I'd share that.

I have nothing to back this up, but my gut feel is we are better run off the pitch than we have been some time. No dodgy scouse loans. Proper negotiation and fees for players - Edmundson. People seem to have good things to say about dealing with Natalie. Despite the shouting he paid Blitz off in court. It’s far from perfect but there are positive signs. 

If only he could get the football side right. . 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wheater by comparison: 

Just saying like...

The other game that Wheater scored in was Exeter away, although I've tried to block that night from my memory...

20 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Doubtful since we're trying for a deal where Salford pay part of Pidge's salary already. 

23 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Wheater is available. AL wants him off the wage bill.

He probably thinks there will be more players like Wheater available for less money this summer.

If Rowe, Wheater and Hamer leave as has been rumoured, we will be left with only three players contracted for next season, Woods, Fage and Dearnley. Only Dearnley of those is worth keeping IMO. What a mess.

2 hours ago, Lags said:

Hes only got himself to blame for not knowing the extent of the debt before he purchased the club.

As for learning from his mistakes Im not seeing much of that so far.

3 minutes ago, Jimbooth said:

Doubtful since we're trying for a deal where Salford pay part of Pidge's salary already. 

Do you know if he signed a new contract at Salford, or is he still considering it?

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Hes only got himself to blame for not knowing the extent of the debt before he purchased the club.

It appears he's been badly advised on all fronts...........or not heeded good advice !

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

DMaarms on Twitter says that there are a few people who want to buy the club, and AL is aware of them. If I got the amount of abuse he gets from the fans, I would be getting out ASAP. I can't understand why he doesn't.

Archived