January Transfer Window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think logically that the loan market is where we are most realistically going to make moves in January rather than permanent signings.

How many can we bring in and how many do we currently have?

You would think Wheater is definitely going who else can be offloaded. We should look to keep hold of all the key players.

Those of us who have been watching us for a long time understand that the first and second half of the season can look very different and can pose us very different challenges. Pitches cut up, injuries and fatigue mounts up, and momentum can shift. 

This window is hugely important for us. We currently sit 4 points from the play offs therefore it's a realistic target at this stage of the season something that seemed unthinkable in early October. We get this right in January and we can kick on. If we don't another season will peter out and any hope we had will just turn into another false dawn, and by march we will be just going through the motions. 

Despite all that has gone on in the last 3 years their does appear to be light at the end of the tunnel, but only if the regime navigate the next few months with care and some thought. Get it wrong and we are back at square 1.

We can't have anymore shitstorms, we haven't heard any rumours of winding up petitions and missed payroll recently no news is good news here. When the time comes to open the stadium make sure fans can sit in the North Stand aswell as the rest of the ground the whole thing can be swept under the carpet and forgotten about pretty quickly if their is a willingness to do so. Do this with a good transfer window then I'd imagine the fanbase will be re-engaged as most will be prepared to forgive alot of the crap we have put up with over the last couple of years if we start seeing some real progression.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

January signings need to be especially diligent.

We seem to have a bit of team spirit going, it'd be a shame to spoil it with a couple of injudicious recruits.

We do seem to have a good team spirit.  We have a few non-league/below par players, and a few injury problems, but this is a team that keeps fighting. HK, for all his critics, and his mistakes, has done a very good job with a squad of very different abilities. They fight for him and each other. Give him credit. I love the style of football he's trying to play. But we need more actual talent. He needs to be able to make 3 quality signings that won't undermine the team spirit. The way they celebrated that last goal told its own story. Even the subs piled on. Brilliant. 

A CB, CM and LW...and a Baxter type to provide cover for Rowe. We'd piss it.

I would have thought Wheater would be on his way. If we extend Clarkes deal I think we are ok at the back . Unless someone else goes (Hamer). To me most of our problems have come from giving the ball away to easily in midfield and attack . When I say attack I mean in Rowes absence. There are still some games in this league when you need a big 6' 3'' + number 9 .With that I would add a couple of midfielders that offer us some ball retention.

14 hours ago, Wee Bobby said:

If you could pick a centre back from all the other teams in this division ,who would it be. Similar a midfielder. lets face it thats all we could afford.

My choice would be Peter Clarke and Twine who played against us on Saturday.  But its never going to happen.

Twine goes back in January, maybe worth an enquiry.

9 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

We do seem to have a good team spirit.  We have a few non-league/below par players, and a few injury problems, but this is a team that keeps fighting. HK, for all his critics, and his mistakes, has done a very good job with a squad of very different abilities. They fight for him and each other. Give him credit. I love the style of football he's trying to play. But we need more actual talent. He needs to be able to make 3 quality signings that won't undermine the team spirit. The way they celebrated that last goal told its own story. Even the subs piled on. Brilliant. 

A CB, CM and LW...and a Baxter type to provide cover for Rowe. We'd piss it.

I agree the team spirit is good, similar to Leeds United. Maybe one reason Garrity might be retained is he does seem to emphasise the work ethic of the team.

We have scored a lot of late goals which illustrate to me a game is never lost until the final whistle.

Have to give HK credit for that.

Ball retention and distribution from midfield  definately needs addressing though in the January transfer window.

What's Matty Palmer doing these days?

Seeing as a few weeks ago when nearly everybody said we were 'shit' and pretty much wanted the club folding, yet l was insistent all we needed was a CB and a CDM. All we got was a CB so it would be silly of me to say more than all we need is a quality CDM. So, all we need is a quality CDM.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

My son knows Cole Palmer. Palmer says that Doyle is the best of all the young Citeh players including Foden. I don't see him going on loan anywhere let alone L2.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not really the experienced midfielder many are advocating and hardly likely to drop into the bottom division.

Yeah we do need players but I’d be happier with signing mcaleny, bahamboula and Rowe onto deals for next season and beyond now. Don’t think it works like that as they all want to wait and see what interest their is at end of season.

outside of that a solid composed central mid with good experience would be the one area I think we need plus signing Clarke up for season 

Although they're the wrong side of 30+ which, apparently, doesn't suit AL's agenda, Frecklington and Marney could still do a job. Irvine, released by Hull City would be a decent acquisition, too. I've always been impressed by Michael Doughty at Swindon. Surprised he's a free agent. 

Tell you what, though. Those market value figures are a bit mental. Over-inflated, or what?

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Although they're the wrong side of 30+ which, apparently, doesn't suit AL's agenda, Frecklington and Marney could still do a job. Irvine, released by Hull City would be a decent acquisition, too. I've always been impressed by Michael Doughty at Swindon. Surprised he's a free agent. 

Tell you what, though. Those market value figures are a bit mental. Over-inflated, or what?

Agenda has a negative connotation Bristol. 

The recruitment this season has been the best yet under ALMO. Lessons seem to have been learned.  We still need improvements obviously,  but signing younger players with a possible sell on fee seems perfectly reasonable to me. 

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Twine goes back in January, maybe worth an enquiry.

Twine is on a season long loan at Newport but there is a clause in the contract which enables Swindon to take him back. If they do I don't think he will be going anywhere. 

As for unattached players. They most likely won't be fit enough to play for a few weeks, which wouldn't be ideal.

Archived