MATCH: vs Harrogate Town AFC (H) 26.12.20

1 hour ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Spot on. Nevermind dominating any of them we look like we're going to ship 6 or 7 goals in every single one of them. We've been crap for years but this team has reached a whole new level of shitness.

They're second top scorers in the league and have won the last 8 away games on the bounce. I know the home form isn't great but Jesus, let's have some perspective. I'd take this season 100 times over the last one. 

Few changes in January and they'll be fine. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow Harrogate for most of the first half were faster to every ball. How many times did the no. 14 nick balls off defenders and midfield that he got to first when we were favourite. He picked a couple off Ntambwe and one off Pidge at least. Their team were all doing it.  Lawlor was outstanding and their finishing was poor, otherwise we would have been way behind.

McAleny cost us the first goal mind you, so that wasn’t the defence’s fault. 
he was slow to follow their No7, (Thomson was it? ). He actually realised he should follow him, closed the gap but did not get goal side, then Thomson set off into the box and had a free shot.  McAleny looked like he was playing well within himself. He wasn’t the only one!

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Somehow Harrogate for most of the first half were faster to every ball. How many times did the no. 14 nick balls off defenders and midfield that he got to first when we were favourite. He picked a couple off Ntambwe and one off Pidge at least. Their team were all doing it.  Lawlor was outstanding and their finishing was poor, otherwise we would have been way behind.

McAleny cost us the first goal mind you, so that wasn’t the defence’s fault. 
he was slow to follow their No7, (Thomson was it? ). He actually realised he should follow him, closed the gap but did not get goal side, then Thomson set off into the box and had a free shot.  McAleny looked like he was playing well within himself. He wasn’t the only one!

McAleny is wasted on the left wing often disappears and doesn't track back, should be in a front 2 with Rowe with the more aggressive Barnet on the left flank.

Dearnley can play wide with Bahamboula as a central attacking midfielder

Still need a McCann type to pull the strings though..HK should be demanding this from AL otherwise walk out on him.

Push the boat out for Irvine even if only for an short term deal with options. 

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

McAleny is wasted on the left wing often disappears and doesn't track back, should be in a front 2 with Rowe with the more aggressive Barnet on the left flank.

Dearnley can play wide with Bahamboula as a central attacking midfielder

Still need a McCann type to pull the strings though..HK should be demanding this from AL otherwise walk out on him.

Push the boat out for Irvine even if only for an short term deal with options. 

This for me. Baha and McAleny are not wingers, they need to be through the middle. 

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

This for me. Baha and McAleny are not wingers, they need to be through the middle. 

Agree...playing wide Bahamboula is having to get past 3 or 4 players before getting a glimpse of goal, if he’s played up top in a front 2 he could cause havoc alongside McAleny. He can certainly hold the ball up when needed and I would back him in a one on one against any CB in this division 9 times out of 10!!

I hope we can get a couple of solid midfielders in next month and a proper No.9 wouldn’t go amiss either ...horses for courses n all that!!

7 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Spot on. Nevermind dominating any of them we look like we're going to ship 6 or 7 goals in every single one of them. We've been crap for years but this team has reached a whole new level of shitness.

Jesus wept. 

6 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

My perspective is from watching home games (don't watch away ones) and they've been dreadful in every single one. Worse Oldham team I've ever seen and that includes under the guy who waved his arms about a lot last season.

then your perspective is pretty much irrelevant.

8 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

My perspective is from watching home games (don't watch away ones) and they've been dreadful in every single one. Worse Oldham team I've ever seen and that includes under the guy who waved his arms about a lot last season.

Why would you not watch away games?

7 hours ago, hillside blue said:

Well, after watching that performance yesterday, the January window should be used to bring in some much needed replacements.

We needed someone up front who can hold the ball, Grant is not the solution, on several occasions he has been playing as the lone striker and target man and often marked by 2 central defenders, clearly frustration in this role got the better of him yesterday.

Yesterday CBJ looked way off the pace and got battered in the first five minutes of the game, how we got away with them not scoring at least once in those opening minutes was lucky to say the least. HK did mention that Baddan was on the mend and would be ready for a return to first team action, personally I rated him before his injury and he is a better fullback. All the back 4 were poor yesterday.

The midfield is need of an experienced head/heads, yesterday highlighted this, not only  in midfield but the team as a whole,  especially when we went down to 10 men. We were still in the game at 1-1, yet seemed to try to hurry things, often leading to poor decisions . The tactics should have looked to frustrate the opposition and then look to capitalise on their mistakes. Why did we not slow the game down like Harrogate did when they got the second goal.

Second half we had Bahamboula playing as the target man up front, which I thought was a good move, after all he can hold players off, then he was taken off and replaced with Dearnley, who we know is a good player, but is most effective when playing alongside a target man, who can give him the ball and allow him to break forward, so to take Bahamboula off seemed a strange decision.

My biggest fear for this team is that sooner or later they will get battered by a team whose finishing will be better than Harrogate's, opposing manager's have worked out if they press our players when they are on the ball, they panic and make mistakes, also getting the ball into the box causes our defence to hoof the ball up field and allows the opposition to come at us again, knowing we do not have a Centre Forward who can hold the ball up, or our midfield, while comfortable with the ball at their feet and with time to play the ball, are not the strongest midfield and not particularly effective in aerial duals, especially against the bigger teams.

I just hope Bournemouth are concentrating on a return to the Premier League and field a weakened side against us, otherwise that fear might become a reality, certainly if yesterdays performance is anything to go by.

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

According to Dmaarms Mo is back in the country and has  a host of signings already training  with us. We shall see.

34 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If our home form and away form were flipped, would everyone be as annoyed? 

I don't think it's an annoyance, people are rightly frustrated with it. Our home record is abysmal, the fact is it doesn't look like improving anytime soon. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived