Next Oldham Manager

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Has Curle done anything? Can’t remember anything notable of the top of my head. 

As a player yes, 4 caps for England, as a manager took Northampton to win  a play off final. Averages 37% win ratio.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Has Curle done anything? Can’t remember anything notable of the top of my head. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Promotion from league 2 last year.

He's also made the playoffs with Carlisle in 2017 with a fairly average budget.  In the more distant past he made the playoff final with Mansfield in 2004, losing on pens to Huddersfield.  He also did pretty well in a year with Notts County in League 1, nearly getting them to the playoffs with a late season run.

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He's also made the playoffs with Carlisle in 2017 with a fairly average budget.  In the more distant past he made the playoff final with Mansfield in 2004, losing on pens to Huddersfield.  He also did pretty well in a year with Notts County in League 1, nearly getting them to the playoffs with a late season run.

To be fair, I hadn't realised he took Northampton up last season.  But as far as realistic appointments go, then this is a pretty good one.  He would just need to be left to get on with it.

His overall record for League games is:

P421 W151 D121 L149 F574 A559 PPG 1.39 = 63 Pts per season. That would be around 13th.

League 2 (not including 5 play off games):

P319 W114 D96 L109 F436 A416 PPG 1.37 or 63 pts too, again around 13th

So, once again, a new manager/head coach is lined up before the present incumbent is officially sacked. Typical ALMO business model and, yet again, failing to realise, accept or understand where the real problem lies.

They simply throw 3rd rate footballers with barely National League ability together, sprinkle in one or two with more ability (Hilssner, McAleny, Bahamboula for example) and then expect the poor sod to turn them into promotion candidates.

Silk purse, sow's ear springs to mind. 

I can't see Curle lasting any longer than the last 7 or 8 that have had a go. Isn't he a bit of a volatile character at times? I'd pay to watch him have a row with Mo.

7 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

So, once again, a new manager/head coach is lined up before the present incumbent is officially sacked.

Pretty standard I think...

It would actually be quite reckless not to do so at this stage of the season.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Could argue that's not a bad thing...

you could, but only if it was part of a coherent strategy.  If, for example, the club had a style of play which was consistent through the first team and the age groups and they could appoint someone who could continue with that in conjunction with the DoF who doubtless would have influenced the style.

Paul Murray said on the podcast the other week that the youth team played in a similar style to the first team so that if one was called up they could slot in seamlessly.  Well, I guess they'll have to completely change how they play now.  Can't be of help to their development, and we wonder why so few (none?) have made an impact at first team level since the Lemsagams rolled in.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Could argue that's not a bad thing...

And on the other side of the coin, the one that's getting the heave-ho will likely have more than an inkling of what's going on, so you can understand if they show a defeatist attitude. Not good for team morale.

Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with the Basket Case Brothers long into the future. They're too stubborn to accept they've made a right balls of it, they won't admit they need to sell and I don't see anyone in their right mind wanting to buy. 

If we carry on recruiting the kind of dross that's been thrown at us and Curle (or whoever follows him) can't at least get us towards the play-offs, then it will be rinse and repeat over and over again. The club is toxic and the only way it will improve is for ALMO to sod off into the sunset. And take Detective Redfleece with them.

From what I understand of DoFs generally, they identify possible future coaches so there's a continuation of philosophy.  I would imaging Curle and Kewell are quite far apart in that respect so no doubt another full squad overhaul on the cards this summer.  Should Curle last that long of course.

And, slightly off topic, all the world, his wife and his dog seem to know that it's Curle coming in. The media know, we know but, true to form, sweet sod all on t' fishal. I suppose they'll announce it eventually.

What will happen now, of course, is that we'll go to Port Vale tomorrow night, give 'em a right old battering, come away with an excellent win and we'll all wonder how it's all changed for the better.

I think it's called "dead cat bounce" but God only knows why.

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I actually think this our first good managerial appointment in years (if it does happen). Proven track record at this level with a couple promotions on his CV, used to working on a budget. I have no doubt he'll be gone by October but still...

June. If not May.

Curle as a player was a bit of a hard bastard. I reckon he doesn't suffer fools (purely an impression based on interviews).

Hopefully he'll take out Coco with the verbal equivalent of one of his tackles.

So, maybe not May. More like April.

Archived