Playing Squad - Summer 21

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Well I would but it seems the in thing to do a few google searches, read some numbers and form an opinion that way.

Good job that wasn't available when we signed the likes of Irwin, Barret & Warhurst etc, because they would have looked poor too on a google search.

I know imagine if it was... could you imagine the meltdown once we had signed John Kelly and Glenn Keely lol 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

I know imagine if it was... could you imagine the meltdown once we had signed John Kelly and Glenn Keely lol 

Or Palmer & Ritchie...

Anyway I'm going on Saturday wasn't going too but changed my mind...... I support the team and the name not the two clowns.

Hope the 300 mile round trip is worth it lol

42 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Linked with ouse cisse from orient. Hes very good player from what I've seen of him. In the sylla/fane mould. Cheltenham interested though so probs won't have a sniff

Might mean nothing but Jobi McAnuff commented giving a good luck message and said 'good luck up there' - would be surprised if we could afford him but we shall see

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Or Palmer & Ritchie...

Anyway I'm going on Saturday wasn't going too but changed my mind...... I support the team and the name not the two clowns.

Hope the 300 mile round trip is worth it lol

Wow, I think there is gojng to be a decent crowd on Saturday, not just with us but across the leagues, people have missed the Saturday experience. I was blowing hot and cold for football a couple of months but now can't wait to be at Boundary Park on Saturday .. I need sectioning 😀

4 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

Might mean nothing but Jobi McAnuff commented giving a good luck message and said 'good luck up there' - would be surprised if we could afford him but we shall see

Did Kc say he has a budget for players? 

8 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

To be fair Cheltenham is up from orient too. Hopefully he means up up 

15 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Well I would but it seems the in thing to do a few google searches, read some numbers and form an opinion that way.

Good job that wasn't available when we signed the likes of Irwin, Barret & Warhurst etc, because they would have looked poor too on a google search.

He played 4 times last season for Grantham Town has not made 20 appearances in his career and he's 24 some players have 200 appearances under there belt by that age. Barrett and Warhurst joined when they were much younger. By the same logic if we signed a player who had just bagged 20 goals last season then they shouldn't be excited either. So yes people can form views on players they haven't necessarily seen in am Oldham shirt.

Having said all of that he appears to have impressed in his trial period and the comments from Curle suggest he's a signing he approved off and he has a good attitude so let's see. His career to date would suggest caution, but he has clearly made enough of an impression to get a deal ahead of a number of other trialists.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He played 4 times last season for Grantham Town has not made 20 appearances in his career and he's 24 some players have 200 appearances under there belt by that age. Barrett and Warhurst joined when they were much younger. By the same logic if we signed a player who had just bagged 20 goals last season then they shouldn't be excited either. So yes people can form views on players they haven't necessarily seen in am Oldham shirt.

Having said all of that he appears to have impressed in his trial period and the comments from Curle suggest he's a signing he approved off and he has a good attitude so let's see. His career to date would suggest caution, but he has clearly made enough of an impression to get a deal ahead of a number of other trialists.

Laticshuk22 has publicly called him the scraps (sic) from the bottom of the barrell, so he is pretty much nailed on to be a top signing.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

Laticshuk22 has publicly called him the scraps (sic) from the bottom of the barrell, so he is pretty much nailed on to be a top signing.

Nothing quite like getting behind these players and encouraging them on from the terrace and social media.. im sure he will do well..

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Listen we are not in the market for Bentley's were in the market for solid alround Volvo's with the odd RS2000 thrown in.

Overthinking what goes on inside our club is a torture on the mind, I / we can't change behind the scene crap, I've said before, it needs someone with lots of money to lose and the right connections.

I'll stick to watching the team and hope that someone appears and saves us from the clowns, then those who never experienced the Royle era get something to cheer about sooner rather than later.

Its football to me, I love it but its just football.

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

i actually looked them up earlier.  Irwin had played over 70 first team games for Leeds, so all at or above the level we were playing at

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

i actually looked them up earlier.  Irwin had played over 70 first team games for Leeds, so all at or above the level we were playing at

Yes but its relative, those were signed at a time when we were on the up, in the championship  / Div 1, Wharhurst and Barrett were city cast offs really who were never getting in their team.

We are now LG2 / Div 4 signing some players who aren't getting into their 1st teams also.

All I am saying is that alot of fans just form an opinion on a player before he's given a chance. Some players just dont fit with a club and then fit with the next, Rick Holden is a perfect example of this, moved to City were it just didn't work out like it did with us.

In the case of  Dennis Irwin, Leeds were at the same level as us when we signed him, other than that he was a first teamer I stand corrected.

Weird rewriting of history going on here.

Ritchie and Irwin had good records before joining Latics.

Barrett and Warhurst came straight from youth teams of good pedigree.

The game is more than stats, but the way some people talk you might as well do a lucky dip with your eyes shut.  Might as well let all comers have a go, everyone deserves another chance, eh?

Or in other words, not every car has the reliability record of a Volvo.  

By the way, I'm not saying we shouldn't take a chance on players with a poor record if we think there's a reason we can turn it around.

Baxter worked out, Green was worth the punt too even though it didn't work out.  If it's clear the basics are there then give it a go. 

Same goes for players who've done well at lower levels and need a chance to prove themselves at our level.

I'm less sure it's worth taking a punt on someone who has been poor in our division before just because they're not up to that standard, and hoping they'll turn to gold dust at BP.

1 minute ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Weird rewriting of history going on here.

Ritchie and Irwin had good records before joining Latics.

Barrett and Warhurst came straight from youth teams of good pedigree.

The game is more than stats, but the way some people talk you might as well do a lucky dip with your eyes shut.  Might as well let all comers have a go, everyone deserves another chance, eh?

Or in other words, not every car has the reliability record of a Volvo.  

Listen whatever you say on here someone comes along to prove you wrong, disagree or put your opinion down. 

I never say I'm right but its my opinion, much easier having debates or chats in person rather than on keyboards or phones where what you want or mean to say doesn't always come accross.

Anyway I hope all the new players fit in and help us have a good season, we deserve it.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Listen whatever you say on here someone comes along to prove you wrong, disagree or put your opinion down. 

I never say I'm right but its my opinion, much easier having debates or chats in person rather than on keyboards or phones where what you want or mean to say doesn't always come accross.

Anyway I hope all the new players fit in and help us have a good season, we deserve it.

all debate is good debate as long as it's civilised and participants are prepared to admit when they are wrong - which we all are and probably more often than not

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

all debate is good debate as long as it's civilised and participants are prepared to admit when they are wrong - which we all are and probably more often than not

If you listened to my good lady I'm always wrong so what do I know.

Like you said its good to debate as long as its civilised.

Theres 4 of going on Saturday, I doubt we will all see the team the same way.

1 hour ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Cisse signed apparently. Looking up. 

He's a big lad at 6' 5". He should get more goals than he does at that height. I guess he's another defensive midfielder like the Spurs lad we are supposed to have signed.

2 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

Cisse signed apparently. Looking up. 

Happy with this, if true.

He's played against us a few times for MK Dons and Orient and bossed our midfield physically.

Definitely the type of player we were missing last season, and fits the bill better than Furman.  

19 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

If you listened to my good lady I'm always wrong so what do I know.

Like you said its good to debate as long as its civilised.

Theres 4 of going on Saturday, I doubt we will all see the team the same way.

I can safely say I won't be doing the 450 mile round trip very often this season!

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can safely say I won't be doing the 450 mile round trip very often this season!

Well I've not got as far as you, just 300 miles but I'm chancing it on Saturday, just have a feeling we will have a good season.

Curle yesterday 🗣 on the academy...

“Junior (Luamba), Vani (Da Silva), Will (Sutton) and Harry (Vaughan) have all featured in pre-season and two of them have today gone on loan to gain experience in men’s football."

Anyone know which two?

Archived