BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 11th Oct '21 Episode 53: If you sleep with dogs, you get fleas!

After another abject performance against a Mansfield team missing 10 first team professionals, conversation turns to whether Keith Curle needs to shoulder more of the blame. Plus, we discuss news of the exiting CEO, who might replace him and what we ought to be vigilant in looking out for. Finally, in a heart-warming interview, Matt speaks to the Power family whom he met at Rochdale a couple of weeks ago.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk/, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Read more about FanHub here: https://fan-hub.com/

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at https://pushtheboundary.co.uk/ and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at http://www.trustoldham.org/

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at https://redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com/

• Matt featured this topic

Another good listen - the word "trenchant" was invented for some of the views expressed there. 😀

That list of key posts that are vacant was staggering, I had no idea it was as bad as all that - who is exactly turning the lights off and locking up each night?

The stuff about dubious characters was very interesting, and the chap you mentioned at Charlton (which is near where I live) causes apoplexy in some quarters locally. 

I think you need to think big on fund raising, as well as doing the stuff you need to function effectively in the short term. Rochdale's fans may have no interest in taking control of their club, but eventually you need to decide whether or not you want to be a player in that game down the line. There is no right or wrong answer, obviously, but being ready for the question will matter.

I have to say that I get more and more worried about you with every passing week.

A decent listen, Rick hit the nail on the head at the end when he said it makes him ill and the club is dead! Myself and many others I know  feel exactly the same, well done to all stepping up to the plate and trying to get these cockroaches out 👏🏻👏🏻

"He has had three years of s---," a source close to Lemsagam told ESPN. "He's had some really tough stuff to deal with, but the whole club had settled down at the start of this season and the situation just got out of hand because the team lost its first four games. But it's early days. The team are still only eight points off the playoff positions, so there is time for things to change."

I'm getting the words Adam and Morallee here. If only we hadn't lost those first 4 games eh? But don't worry we are only 8 points of the play offs.

Don't agree with Steve suggesting the onus is on other fans to take on protesting duties. Like it or not you are seen as the figureheads of the movement, appearing on TV and the radio is all well and good but being at/in the ground is the bread and butter of protesting.

I here many fans saying they are boycotting and that is their protest.

Then I hear those who dont go say those in the ground are giving AL an easy ride.

My stance is this and I believe it would help attract buyers more than the boycotting will do.

All those who have stopped going because its been crap for years, in decline or because of the two clowns, whatever your reasons, cram boundary park and be heard in your droves, be loud in your protests inside the ground, stay in your seats and carry on until your politely made to leave.

This clubs has potential but the town has to support it, get 6, 7, 8000 inside and let them know how you feel.

6 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I here many fans saying they are boycotting and that is their protest.

Then I hear those who dont go say those in the ground are giving AL an easy ride.

My stance is this and I believe it would help attract buyers more than the boycotting will do.

All those who have stopped going because its been crap for years, in decline or because of the two clowns, whatever your reasons, cram boundary park and be heard in your droves, be loud in your protests inside the ground, stay in your seats and carry on until your politely made to leave.

This clubs has potential but the town has to support it, get 6, 7, 8000 inside and let them know how you feel.

Never going to happen, you have seen the pictures of protesters being accosted by "security". If the place was crammed it would get ugly, not the sort of publicity required. Also there are too many who refuse to give money to the club in its current guise, I know plenty who fall into this category, myself included. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Never going to happen, you have seen the pictures of protesters being accosted by "security". If the place was crammed it would get ugly, not the sort of publicity required. Also there are too many who refuse to give money to the club in its current guise, I know plenty who fall into this category, myself included. 

I know lots too, they want better times back, they want new owners but they stay away, turn up to the odd away day that rekindles some their 70s'80s & 90s memories of their youth and the feeling it gave us following our club.

Too many people with no fire in their bellies waiting for others to make a difference, then they will come back.

22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't agree with Steve suggesting the onus is on other fans to take on protesting duties. Like it or not you are seen as the figureheads of the movement, appearing on TV and the radio is all well and good but being at/in the ground is the bread and butter of protesting.

Hi Rob.

Without wishing to speak on behalf of Ste, I know he feels (and said) it would be difficult to arrange an organised protest every game, therefore the onus is on those attending to make some noise/their feelings known (assuming they share the same feelings - appreciating some don't) at games without organisation.

There were 3 planned protests at Orient, home to Hartlepool and at Dale, which were all well supported. Moreover (as said) PTB are planning further stunts/events at future games, but won't reveal those yet for obvious reasons.

It's also worth remembering that you articulately questioned the timing of some of PTB's actions following Covid prior to now, proposed that PTB might want to turn their attention to seeking/having dialogue with potential interested parties - which they have been doing - and remarked with good reason that you feared the Hartlepool protest would see the peak of national media coverage when you were our fan guest a few weeks ago. This hasn't proved to be the case (yet) as OASF/PTB and the podcast have continued to have dialogue with the media, with more articles being written/filmed that are yet to be published/aired.

I'm sure PTB will update us with news of their plans for further events/protests soon enough.

Cheers,

Andy

Football is not the be all and end all for everyone though is it? It doesn’t mean they don’t care either!

A lot of the ageing fans can’t be arsed and because of our recent history the young fans are in short supply!

There wasn’t a massive protest movement when Chris Moore left us in the brown stuff yet 12000 turned up against Grimsby to celebrate our exit from administration and the same thing would happen again under similar circumstances!!

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

There wasn’t a massive protest movement when Chris Moore left us in the brown stuff

It'd have been a bit fucking late! And what/who would they have been protesting against?

Lots and lots of people pulled together when Moore left - one guy gave me the reg off his car to auction, people were posting me cheques, all sorts. There's a latics family out there, hopefully one day we'll have something worth supporting together again.

52 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Christ Eyrsey. 

Figureheads??

For what - actually doing something? 

What are you then? 

The criticising recluse? 

Everyone is good at diagnosing the problems. Very few are interested in finding solutions. 

I wouldn’t dream of criticising PTB or the new OASF lads, because quite simply I can’t put any time into helping them. (As much as I’d like to) 

In these desperate times, if you can’t offer help- then at the very least you could support those that are trying to do something. 

6 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Hi Rob.

Without wishing to speak on behalf of Ste, I know he feels (and said) it would be difficult to arrange an organised protest every game, therefore the onus is on those attending to make some noise/their feelings known (assuming they share the same feelings - appreciating some don't) at games without organisation.

There were 3 planned protests at Orient, home to Hartlepool and at Dale, which were all well supported. Moreover (as said) PTB are planning further stunts/events at future games, but won't reveal those yet for obvious reasons.

It's also worth remembering that you articulately questioned the timing of some of PTB's actions following Covid prior to now, proposed that PTB might want to turn their attention to seeking/having dialogue with potential interested parties - which they have been doing - and remarked with good reason that you feared the Hartlepool protest would see the peak of national media coverage when you were our fan guest a few weeks ago. This hasn't proved to be the case (yet) as OASF/PTB and the podcast have continued to have dialogue with the media, with more articles being written/filmed that are yet to be published/aired.

I'm sure PTB will update us with news of their plans for further events/protests soon enough.

Cheers,

Andy

Absolutely there has to be a focus on prospective buyers but at the same time the genie is out of the bottle now protest wise, people see PTB as the 'ringleaders' of that so don't think they can just dip in and out of the muck and bullets side of it, obviously I appreciate that you can't have coffins and planes every week.

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Christ Eyrsey. 

Figureheads??

For what - actually doing something? 

What are you then? 

The criticising recluse? 

Everyone is good at diagnosing the problems. Very few are interested in finding solutions. 

I wouldn’t dream of criticising PTB or the new OASF lads, because quite simply I can’t put any time into helping them. (As much as I’d like to) 

In these desperate times, if you can’t offer help- then at the very least you could support those that are trying to do something. 

I do broadly support them, doesn't mean I have to seal clap everything they do.

Just now, deyres42 said:

I do broadly support them, doesn't mean I have to seal clap everything they do.

😂 

There is a big difference between thinking you might do differently and having the self awareness to realise that while you’re doing nothing they’re do something. 

Seal claps all day for me, not for perfect decision making (unrealistic anyway)  but for their effort and time when we really need people like them. 

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Absolutely there has to be a focus on prospective buyers but at the same time the genie is out of the bottle now protest wise, people see PTB as the 'ringleaders' of that so don't think they can just dip in and out of the muck and bullets side of it, obviously I appreciate that you can't have coffins and planes every week.

All very fair Robert. However, they can’t focus on prospective buyers AND arrange protests for you all at the same time. You’re a very capable man! 👀 

12 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I imagine the hope is for momentum building rather than for a small number of people to organise everything. If the latter is the case in reality then they are wasting their time. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, deyres42 said:

What would your ideas of where to go next Rob? Genuinely interested to hear what you think should be happening. 

just musing here as a form of protest would a sit in work occupy one of the sections of seating and refuse to leave after full time ?

keep it a peacfull protest other than chanting holding banners etc 

make steward /police have to remove you from the stand would not be good publicity for the club and would add to his security costs ?

26 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

What would your ideas of where to go next Rob? Genuinely interested to hear what you think should be happening. 

You've done far more than I have Adam so who I am to criticise, but if you want my opinion I think you have got plenty right, you certainly twigged after the first game that mass boycott was a non starter and the Hartlepool protest was very well organised and executed.

I don't necessarily think you should be straying into club decisions territory, I didn't like the Free Wheatz thing for example and I don't think it is your place to be dictating who the owners decide to employ.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, maximus1267 said:

I know lots too, they want better times back, they want new owners but they stay away, turn up to the odd away day that rekindles some their 70s'80s & 90s memories of their youth and the feeling it gave us following our club.

Too many people with no fire in their bellies waiting for others to make a difference, then they will come back.

Quite frankly, as one who is boycotting, I find that offensive. It was anything but easy not to buy a season ticket for the first time in decades. I'd say the fans inside the ground who don't give the owner any shit are the ones 'waiting for others to make a difference'. Driving up from Stockport to protest but then refusing to pay into the ground demonstrates plenty of fire in my belly. 

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

You've done far more than I have Adam so who I am to criticise, but if you want my opinion I think you have got plenty right, you certainly twigged after the first game that mass boycott was a non starter and the Hartlepool protest was very well organised and executed.

I don't necessarily think you should be straying into club decisions territory, I didn't like the Free Wheatz thing for example and I don't think it is your place to be dictating who the owners decide to employ.

So what would you do moving forward? 

Archived