Sheridan back

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Looking at the tables…

League 1 2016 - we were in 22nd place 5 points adrift of the 20th placed club Shrewsbury with a game in hand
League 1 2017 - we were bottom of the league 3 points adrift of the 20th placed club Shrewsbury with two games in hand

Four go down from League 1, only two from League 2 but it’s still a VERY tough ask 😮

*also noticed that the 2017 League 1 table included the likes of Bury, Southend and Chesterfield …

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ryan said:

So we are in a much worse position now than either time before?

Currently 7 adrift and a -7GD with 21 to play.

2016 - 4 adrift with a game in hand and -2GD

2017 - 3 adrift, 2 games in hand and an equal GD

Good luck Shez - you and we are going to need it.

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Looking at the tables…

League 1 2016 - we were in 22nd place 5 points adrift of the 20th placed club Shrewsbury with a game in hand
League 1 2017 - we were bottom of the league 3 points adrift of the 20th placed club Shrewsbury with two games in hand

Four go down from League 1, only two from League 2 but it’s still a VERY tough ask 😮

*also noticed that the 2017 League 1 table included the likes of Bury, Southend and Chesterfield …

Yep, our position this time is a lot worse I admit, and the off-field stuff is more toxic. Still, if we beat Rochdale and Scunthorpe.......

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Looking at the tables…

Might have got my data wrong - did it quickly - but basically we are much further up the creek this time.

As others have said, if we'd brought him in with in 2/3 games of Curle going it might have been a more comparable position to 2016/2017.

17 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

and how many players did he sign? Seem to remember a few, but i'm merging the two years in my head...

I may not be 100% on this as some of the below may have already been on the books but not picked in these seasons until Shez took over, but I think the answer to your question may be:

2015/16

Antony Gerrard

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis

Matt Palmer

Aaron Amadi-Holloway

Curtis Main

2016/17

Rob Hunt

Antony Gerrard

Tope Obadeyi

Aiden O'Neill

Chris Taylor

We won't se anything like that quantity or quality coming in between now and the end of the month, so I'll admit Shez's chances this time are greatly weakened.

We'll stay up on goal difference.

19/03 H vs Exeter (8th)

22/03 H vs Sutton (3rd)

26/03 H vs Mansfield (7th)

29/03 H vs Orient (13th)

02/04 A vs Stevenage (19th)

09/04 A vs Vale (9th)

15/04 H vs Northampton (4th)

18/04 A vs FGR (1st)

23/04 H vs Salford (10th)

30/04 A vs Tranmere (2nd)

07/05 H vs Crawley (14th)

24 minutes ago, Hands on said:

We are hanging by a thread of hope.  Don't let it be quickly broken.  If we can win one game in three the gap will close so don't book a holiday for 7th May yet.

Remember the great escape in 93!

As long as we draw one in 3 too!!

Even though our position is worse this time, one small shred of hope is that surely there are more beatable teams in this league?  There were some relatively big hitters in both those league 1 seasons.

Colchester change manager and win 3-0 away at Salford after being in freefall. Any game is winnable this season I think.

34 minutes ago, Mercater said:

Love him saying to win "any way we can". Expect to see some diving and niggling digs I hope. Bullying the opposition if this lot are hard enough

Not before time. How can a side bottom of the table average 1.88 yellow cards and have seen zero sendings off? And that’s after seeing three yellows in all of the five opening games, so considerably fewer since then. At the very least, we won’t go out with such a whimper under Shez. 

1 hour ago, Mercater said:

Love him saying to win "any way we can". Expect to see some diving and niggling digs I hope. Bullying the opposition if this lot are hard enough

Hope that doesn't involve any form of timewasting or trying to play out from the back, fans won't tolerate it.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hope that doesn't involve any form of timewasting or trying to play out from the back, fans won't tolerate it.

I’ll happily accept time wasting if in a winning position. Win anyway you can. We are clearly not good enough to play out from the back though, agreed.

41 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What's wrong with time-wasting?

It seldom works for us as we're so naive executing it.

I don't go away anymore but we're invariably one of the last results in as refs just add time on as we're so poor at time-wasting.

We should be getting on the "front foot" in our attempt to get us out of the mire ! 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

What's wrong with time-wasting?

The modern term is ‘Game Management’  - that is fine by me if it involves looking after the ball and playing considered football when protecting a lead. But not taking the ball to the corner flag - I dislike it - THAT really hacks me off. 

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The modern term is ‘Game Management’  - that is fine by me if it involves looking after the ball and playing considered football when protecting a lead. But not taking the ball to the corner flag - I dislike it - THAT really hacks me off. 

If we're a goal up in the dying stages I'll be disappointed if we DON'T take it to the corner flag.  We're just going to give the ball away if we don't.  Keep the ball as far away from our goal as possible.

We're going to have to ignore this "modern game" bollocks too - we need results.  These players aren't good enough to do the complicated stuff.   Time-wasting, long-ball, no playing out from the back, ignore possession % stats, simple, results-at-all-costs football.

53 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I've upvoted you because I too dislike the ball being kept in the corner, endless throw-ins etc.

That said, I accept that it is perfectly legitimate within the laws of the game and I guess isn't strictly speaking time-wasting. What really winds me up is genuine time wasting - keepers taking forever to put the ball in play, rolling about on the ground after coming for a cross, players wasting time at free kicks, throw ins, etc. I hate it whether it's us or the opposition. Most referees simply add time on anyway and I particularly hate the way games run to 95+ minutes these days instead of the traditional 90 with the odd couple of minutes for subs, injuries etc.

I think they should stop the clock when a player is injured and for substitutions….the time should be the time and not be subjective “what can we get away with” 

if a player wants to take 2 minutes milking the applause when he gets substituted then he can…the clock will be stopped until play gets underway again…same with injury time substitutions which exist entirely to waste time….I’d even go as far as the time you have to take a free kick, goal kick or celebrate a goal…they can set a time limit and the clock gets stopped at that point until play restarts

….basically, a version of the NFL would suit me….watching some matches, greedy league especially, if a team is sitting on a lead the ball is often hardly in play for the last 6-7 minutes….fake injuries, substitutions that take ages and free kicks that can run 1-2 mins off the clock whilst they negotiate over the distance to the wall or whatever

Archived