MATCH: vs Walsall (A) 15/03/22

7 hours ago, No Pyro No Party said:

As bizarre as it sounds I feel for some of the players. You can see some players giving it their 100% without people realising that their 100% is our idea of an average performance. We looked like a mixed bag of individuals rather than a team - and a very hot and cold bunch to say the least.

Bahamboula looks like he’s hit a lull and I don’t blame him. I rate him massively so I will be bit bias but a guy at that skill level who’s that tightly marked every week - which people seem to never mention - in a team that doesn’t offer him much. It must grind down his ambition. He’s a playmaker that gets little support imo. Had that linkup with Fage towards the end come to something, it would be a different story. 

Fage tonight started well but come that second half just looked like a totally different player. Massive shame.

Hart looked panicked, Hope didn’t offer much and I’m not sure Hopcutt actually touched the ball. A grant total of 2 shots on target. DKD looked dangerous at times but he’s left out to hang I feel when being a lone striker isn’t his style.

Don’t think that Pidge’s yellow was justified but the captain has now put himself out of the next 2 games at the club’s most pivotal point in the club’s history. Make of that what you will.

Sutton and Hunt both looked good. Great career opportunity for the pair of them. Missilou giving it 100% although not amounting to much, same goes for Vaughn who was outmuscled a lot. Fair play to Shez for starting them as even though we’re on a cliff edge, doing the same thing each week has us on the brink of relegation.

You could almost pinpoint the moment where Walsall sniffed we’d nothing left in the tank and they went to town on us. Somewhere after that scramble in the box chance we had.

It’s a shame seeing people give the team or Shez flack at this stage. We brought Shez in, it didn’t make us the Invincibles but it gave us a lift and now the buzz is wearing off and reality is setting back in. All they can physically do is fight for a point. We’re not a Prem team anymore and there’s no point comparing to years gone by: we’re a bottom rung League Two team so anything more than a loss is a small win in itself.

Feel like I’ve typed this same post before.

KTF

spot on…all of this. 

Correct on Baha too. He has been killed by bad management throughout the season imo. Played out of position for the majority of it. He has zero support and usually no outlet when he is typically surrounded by three opposition players almost immediately he receives the ball.  

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another frustrating result of course, but who seriously thought avoiding relegation would be anything other than a dogfight till the last game?

Criticism levelled at John Sheridan, just ridiculous, embarrassing, the season would already be done if not for his return.

Having to play a makeshift side against a fairly decent and physical Walsall was too much in the end.

The performance of Will Sutton worthy of credit, plus Alex Hunt with easily his best game.

Same glaring issue, nobody to hold the ball, therefore relying on DKD wonder goals to win.

Giving up on Dylan Bahamboula isn't an option, but it is baffling how far removed he is from the player he initially was.

While another defeat hurts, the games are running out, we still are in a race to the finish with Stevenage and maybe Orient.

Can't give up till its over.

Opposition players crowd us off the ball, we give them oceans of room, the cross for the second goal was a typical example.

This is one of the main reasons why we are where we are.

Unfortunately Shez is short of players who can close down quickly and are often 2nd to the ball.

This is the most concerning aspect for me.

However, we must try and press teams better in all areas of the pitch  to have any chance of staying up.

I hope Shez can drill this into every player.

Walsall were thè better team and their fast left winger was excellent.

We never gave up and thats a Shez effect.

Lots of time wasting by their keeper .

Thank god Stevenage lost.Gutted we have lost Fondop who was what we needed up front but still believe we can just about beat the drop but these late lost points v Carlisle  and Newport and Swindon may cost us yet

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

2 points from 15, shite. Thanks for the memories John but time to move on and get someone progressive in the dugout.

Your quality of trolling is getting worse by the week.  Very poor effort.  Thanks for the memories but time for you to move on.

8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Your quality of trolling is getting worse by the week.  Very poor effort.  Thanks for the memories but time for you to move on.

We need to stay in the league no matter what, sentiment alone isn't going to do it, we know Sheridan's record isn't great when results turn sour so why not roll the dice and see if someone else can eke out something extra from the players?

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

We need to stay in the league no matter what, sentiment alone isn't going to do it, we know Sheridan's record isn't great when results turn sour so why not roll the dice and see if someone else can eke out something extra from the players?

I’m sure you do this just to wind everybody up. There’s no genuine sentiment in anything you say, so why not give it a rest eh?

OK, I give up. Which one are you - Abdallah or Mo? And how's the sale going?

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

spot on…all of this. 

Correct on Baha too. He has been killed by bad management throughout the season imo. Played out of position for the majority of it. He has zero support and usually no outlet when he is typically surrounded by three opposition players almost immediately he receives the ball.  

The problem with Bahamboula is who do we support him with? We have several forward players, all seemingly more comfortable running with or onto the ball. But there's no forward who can play with his back to goal and bring those players into the game from direct balls. Nor do we have a Sheridan type midfielder who can unlock defences and pass well enough for the forwards to run on to if we wanted to play that way.  What game plan or style of play can we realistically choose that fits the squad as it is? A testament to the director of football.

On the flip side we've just played 3 form teams in a row and just been edged out in all 3. There are enough points on the table for us to get ahead of Stevenage, the worry is finding a way of playing that fits what we have available.

1 hour ago, The Greek said:

I’m sure you do this just to wind everybody up. There’s no genuine sentiment in anything you say, so why not give it a rest eh?

If speaking sense winds people up then that's their problem not mine, I'll post whatever I want to do thanks very much.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

OK, I give up. Which one are you - Abdallah or Mo? And how's the sale going?

So Sheridan's decision making and tactics can't be questioned just because he's John Sheridan? Got it. 

We go down, we ain't coming back up for a long time, assuming the club survives at all.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

The problem with Bahamboula is who do we support him with? We have several forward players, all seemingly more comfortable running with or onto the ball. But there's no forward who can play with his back to goal and bring those players into the game from direct balls. Nor do we have a Sheridan type midfielder who can unlock defences and pass well enough for the forwards to run on to if we wanted to play that way.  What game plan or style of play can we realistically choose that fits the squad as it is? A testament to the director of football.

Million dollar question with the current squad.

Bahamboula's forte is an attacking winger that can cut in: last night's ball through to Fage, the beautiful long ball to DKD at Newport, the footwork all season/last season that opened up chances.

He's good at finding people in space but needs support around him to a) relieve pressure and b) give him a chance to find space for a 1-2. Upfront we have Hope who isn't a great ball winner with imo poor attacking awareness and DKD who sadly has to carry most of the weight - can't rely on 1 man to win it all. We all know DKD has something in his locker but like Bahamboula, they look like two birds trapped in a cage in this squad.

Teams obviously began to do their homework on him as nowadays he's always met by at least 2 defenders closely marking him (watch him next time he's on the ball). He's got the skill but we can't rely on him to save us if we he can't be supported. 6 goals and 8 assists last season making him tied 5th top in assists so...

I feel almost certain that at a different club he'd excel way beyond what we get out of him at Latics. Sigh.

So Sheridan's decision making and tactics can't be questioned just because he's John Sheridan? Got it. 

We go down, we ain't coming back up for a long time, assuming the club survives at all.

We should still question them, yes. But we also have to be realistic in that everything prior to Shez had us second to bottom already and that was with less injuries and without a key suspension we now have to contend with.

I don't blame Shez at all for trying different things if it means he find something that sticks. Even if it's not our cup of tea, we don't have a choice. He took a chance on Sutton and Hunt last night which I felt paid off massively.

We're playing for our existence in the football league, not just to see how we fair. Insert Bear Grylls quote about adapting and overcoming.

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

So you think binning Sheridan for yet another manager would be a good move? 
Yo don’t half come out with some shite!!

We will finish above Stevenage in my opinion. In view of the circumstances of (and the injuries since) his arrival, anybody who puts one iota of blame on John Sheridan is clueless about football and their opinions should be ridiculed for eternity. 

8 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

We will finish above Stevenage in my opinion. In view of the circumstances of (and the injuries since) his arrival, anybody who puts one iota of blame on John Sheridan is clueless about football and their opinions should be ridiculed for eternity. 

It's a club of one and that about sums them up. 

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's the lack of physicality which will send us down, every team knows we are so lightweight and easily knocked off the ball.

BP- for someone so knowledgeable, your insistence that EVERY defeat is down to a lack of physicality is baffling. You say it no matter who the manager is or the tactics or the quality of squad. How can EVERY defeat be primarily down to this, without taking the above into account?? Lots of people have said the squad is largely running their bollocks off him, and their physicality seemed more than fine on a 7 game unbeaten run. . . 

Much more likely than a physicality that comes and goes is the new manager bounce is over, Shez has lost 2 of his 3 forwards, which has badly affecting how we have to set up and he is working with a very thin squad- which Shez himself has said will lose games. 

Who knows, why not roll the dice at this stage though?

I totally disagree sorry, surely you cant be serious and you are just on the wind up.

Sheridan has got his hands tied but he has lifted the players and the fans since he came in. Yes we have lost 3 on the trot but there is more fight and structure than previously.

The team which at its best under shez was performing 100% better than under the other managers.

We are now in a position were our squad is severely depleted, shez nor any other manager can change that, we just have to trust shez will get more out of the players over the next few weeks. 

Stevenage are catchable and that must be our aim, it is still achievable.

As fans we all started to support the team and management team once shez came in, we all knew it wouldnt be straight forward, surely.

We now have to stick with them and try to push them over the line.

We are losing but still not getting battered so there is still hope.

Changing manager now would be absolutely crazy.

34 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I totally disagree sorry, surely you cant be serious and you are just on the wind up.

Sheridan has got his hands tied but he has lifted the players and the fans since he came in. Yes we have lost 3 on the trot but there is more fight and structure than previously.

The team which at its best under shez was performing 100% better than under the other managers.

We are now in a position were our squad is severely depleted, shez nor any other manager can change that, we just have to trust shez will get more out of the players over the next few weeks. 

Stevenage are catchable and that must be our aim, it is still achievable.

As fans we all started to support the team and management team once shez came in, we all knew it wouldnt be straight forward, surely.

We now have to stick with them and try to push them over the line.

We are losing but still not getting battered so there is still hope.

Changing manager now would be absolutely crazy.

We aren't getting over the line with this guy, which bit of the last 5 games suggests that? All out attack is the only way forward now, draws aren't going to get it done.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We aren't getting over the line with this guy, which bit of the last 5 games suggests that? All out attack is the only way forward now, draws aren't going to get it done.

You've at last answered my question from earlier. Given AL's complete lack of football knowledge, and Mo's delusional certainty that he himself is a football expert, you must be Mo. In which case, sir, kindly take your flat cap and insert it where the sun does not shine.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

All out attack and concede 3 goals plus per game, have you seen our attacking options available.

Listen I dont want to be rude so I will leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

All out attack and concede 3 goals plus per game, have you seen our attacking options available.

Listen I dont want to be rude so I will leave it at that.

Draws aren't enough now, but listen let's keep clapping cos Sheridan does a few fistpumps.

21 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You've at last answered my question from earlier. Given AL's complete lack of football knowledge, and Mo's delusional certainty that he himself is a football expert, you must be Mo. In which case, sir, kindly take your flat cap and insert it where the sun does not shine.

Keep on clapping lad, sure Sheridan will appreciate it once he's bailed out the back door after relegation.

Archived