National League Thread

17 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Basketball score again at Chesterfield but still top.

They were 2 down too before a 3 goal in 5 minutes spell.

They must have been behind in about 1/2 their games this season but always seem to find the extra!

3 points currently separating 5th and 11th. It's tight but this is the time in the season to start racking up the Wins if we can get to.the top of that mini league then perhaps we can set our sights on Barnet and Bromley in 2nd and 3rd Chesterfield won't be caught unless they implode.

Remember we only have to show form as good as this time last year between 1st Jan 23 to Apr 23 to get ourselves high up in the play offs That will ensure we get atleast 1 home fixture on the play offs.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

3 points currently separating 5th and 11th. It's tight but this is the time in the season to start racking up the Wins if we can get to.the top of that mini league then perhaps we can set our sights on Barnet and Bromley in 2nd and 3rd Chesterfield won't be caught unless they implode.

Remember we only have to show form as good as this time last year between 1st Jan 23 to Apr 23 to get ourselves high up in the play offs That will ensure we get atleast 1 home fixture on the play offs.

So, bringing back Unnsy it is then

😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, astottie said:

So, bringing back Unnsy it is then

😉

Well you say that in jest obviously but we managed that form under him in the 2nd half of last season with predominantly the same players. We have a more experienced coach now who knows what it takes to win promotion at the business end of the season. We have what is a better squad than then and certainly will be if we sign those extra couple of players that's needed then all those factors considered promotion is very much on this season.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well you say that in jest obviously but we managed that form under him in the 2nd half of last season with predominantly the same players. We have a more experienced coach now who knows what it takes to win promotion at the business end of the season. We have what is a better squad than then and certainly will be if we sign those extra couple of players that's needed then all those factors considered promotion is very much on this season.

As much as I'd take a play-off spot, we'd be so underprepared for league football. 

12 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

As much as I'd take a play-off spot, we'd be so underprepared for league football. 

Nah, I'd back this lot to finish 22nd in League Two. I wouldn't back them to finish 7th in the National League...

Edited by JoeP

9 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Agreed from a players/squad point of view, but the rest of the organisation looks geared for EFL.

I guess many championship clubs that get promoted to the EPL feel underprepared when the cool reality of playing "big" clubs  with a perceived better team (yes I am looking at you Man U) kick in.

I'd take promotion and worry about the team/squad for next season later.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

Has Detective Shitpeas hacked your account?

The top 7 of the National League is easily on a par with the bottom half of League 2. There's far far far too much dysfunction in League 2, or teams who are glorified pub teams who's owners are restricted in their spending.

If we get promoted this season we'll be fine in League 2, let's remember that 1 of 5PM's promotions is in league 2 with a team who went up in the playoffs from National League the season before.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

I get where you're coming from. But I don't think it would make much overall difference going up this season or next. If it's this season, the long-term plan is brought forward a touch sooner in my book, that's all. Can't see the current board, after achieving a slightly unexpected promotion 'too early', settling for treading water in what is largely - apart from the top 4 or 5 - a binfire of a divison.

The pain of a play-off defeat I feel wouldn't be quite as acute, knowing we'd be going at it again a much stronger beast, much the way Chesterfield have and both Notts and Wrexham did the season before. 

• Like 1

We can deal with the problem of surviving in the EFL in the summer should we get there. However if history tells us anything getting promoted from the National League is far harder than staying in league 2. I think we will find that if/when we get there.

• Like 3

I noticed yesterday the game at fylde delayed due to player going into the advertising boards if that was at the away end they need to sort that out as our game there was similar occurrence.The rails at the away end looked at a very low height and very dangerous if you was going at any speed.

2 minutes ago, kev1970 said:

I noticed yesterday the game at fylde delayed due to player going into the advertising boards if that was at the away end they need to sort that out as our game there was similar occurrence.The rails at the away end looked at a very low height and very dangerous if you was going at any speed.

There's a clip on Twitter, it's horrible. Those railings need sorting out, a completely foreseeable injury risk.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We can deal with the problem of surviving in the EFL in the summer should we get there. However if history tells us anything getting promoted from the National League is far harder than staying in league 2. I think we will find that if/when we get there.

The target pre-season must have been play offs so it shouldn't be a surprise if we get there and indeed get promoted.

Not sure a team has ever been relegated straight back to the NL, if it has happened it's a rarity.

Agree with @GlossopLatic and others, getting out of this league is the tougher challenge.

12 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

There's a clip on Twitter, it's horrible. Those railings need sorting out, a completely foreseeable injury risk.

I was at the away game against fylde when their lad went barrelling into the railing . Still makes me cringe thinking about it 

Even with us being mostly shit this year, we have 3 wins out of 3 in the fixtures against the pair relegated last season, and won both away games. We'd stay up with ease, even with the current squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

On a similar note, I always think that the way the pitch at Old Trafford falls away at the ends is unnecessarily risky. A player going full pelt down there could get badly injured.

23 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

On a similar note, I always think that the way the pitch at Old Trafford falls away at the ends is unnecessarily risky. A player going full pelt down there could get badly injured.

That would rule out the home players then !!  😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Is it an odd L2 this season - I'm not aware that either of the current bottom 2 could be described as being crisis clubs?

Not sure Dave,

4 possibly of the top 5 'recently' promoted? which supports the best of NL competes with L2 argument

3 of the bottom 4 I'd think of as non league teams punching above their weight (- but these things all hinge on when you started watching football.)

Colchester will be on their 8th manager in 3 years- that feels like an indicator of decline.