National League Thread

The only two teams around us that played tonight (Torquay and Yeovil) both picked up a point each tonight.  Although Aldershot lost too, despite being 14th they are only 6 points ahead of us and we have 4 games in hand.

Only two teams have conceded fewer than Yeovil in 18th, but they are the lowest scorers in the league.  Saturday's opponents Halifax have only scored one more than them though (hopefully that's not jinxed it 😕)

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

10 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The only two teams around us that played tonight (Torquay and Yeovil) both picked up a point each tonight.  Although Aldershot lost too, despite being 14th they are only 6 points ahead of us and we have 4 games in hand.

Only two teams have conceded fewer than Yeovil in 18th, but they are the lowest scorers in the league.  Saturday's opponents Halifax have only scored one more than them though (hopefully that's not jinxed it 😕)

Halifax drew 2-2 away at Harrow Borough yesterday- FA Trophy- went through on penalties.

10 hours ago, Flemboy said:

We will win .Should never have lost at the Shay.

Wish people wouldn't make rash statements like that. I hope that if we lose you will handcuff yourself to the crossbar having placed a cat'o'nine tails at your side so you can be whipped to the bone. We'll also need a tub of salt and a flagon of lemon juice to rub into your wounds. 😀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Scunthorpe sign 5 players today. No idea if any of them are any good.

New owner, new manager, new players. There will most likely be a 'bounce' of some kind and I would rather a southern based team go down than Scunny.

20 minutes ago, Wardie said:

New owner, new manager, new players. There will most likely be a 'bounce' of some kind and I would rather a southern based team go down than Scunny.

Want Scunny down, replace them with another Dorking working mens club type. We don't want any big clubs in the league as they tend to have decent spending power.

18 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Want Scunny down, replace them with another Dorking working mens club type. We don't want any big clubs in the league as they tend to have decent spending power.

With my Oldham fan hat on I'd agree with this. If Scunny stay up, I think they could be looking a lot higher up the table next season than they were this season.

39 minutes ago, Wardie said:

However, my football fan in general view wants Scunny to stay up, they've been mismanaged as bad as we have been for the last few years (probably for not as long as us though). Mismanagement of a football club shouldn't be fatal for a football club, but it can put them in a critical condition. Scunny are hopefully on the mend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fylde will have spending power.

Scunny may well get the sort of fan / sponsors input we've had all season and the remaining EFL payment. Best they're down a division. 

See how Fylde go, the wages of all their side will increase no doubt if they get up. May mean they can't spend as much as they usually appear to. Not sure there is much of a funding jump from North to The Premier Binmans.

13 hours ago, Shrek said:

Not sure there is much of a funding jump from North to The Premier Binmans.

I think there will be, and it will definately be increased if they want to push straight through the league into L2 to match their ambition.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:14 PM, Gaz_Oafc said:

Scunthorpe sign 5 players today. No idea if any of them are any good.

3-1 down at home to Barnet, so would suggest not.

They now have 5 points less than us - Maidstone have 7 less - and we have FOUR games in hand on both.

This league is brilliant.

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

3-1 down at home to Barnet, so would suggest not.

They now have 5 points less than us - Maidstone have 7 less - and we have FOUR games in hand on both.

This league is brilliant.

It was their "pack the park" night tonight, 5k crowd.

Good result for us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

It was their "pack the park" night tonight, 5k crowd.

Good result for us.

Decent crowd, shame about the result but maybe the new boys, two of whom were later substitutes, will take time to bed-in.

Sounds like I'm a Scunny fan but not really, I can see parallels and would rather they stay in this league alongside us. I cannot see Scunthorpe challenging next season. Alongside us.

57 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

It may be a bit morbid, but has anyone done a mock up of wha happens to the league table  if Southend go out of business on March 1st?

Bleeding hell Robbie, most of us only take 1 game at a time, mock ups of scenarios that might happen never enter into it. 

25 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Bleeding hell Robbie, most of us only take 1 game at a time, mock ups of scenarios that might happen never enter into it. 

😃

I had a very quick look. Gateshead and Torquay would both lose three points, but that seemed to be about it.

But I hope to God it doesn't come down to that.