National League Thread

29 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

😃

I had a very quick look. Gateshead and Torquay would both lose three points, but that seemed to be about it.

But I hope to God it doesn't come down to that. 

How does it impact our playoff push, more importantly?!

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I hadn’t appreciated quite how bad the SUFC situation is! What a feckin mess football is.

The table could look quite different if their results were scrubbed but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that

No fan wants to lose their club and as a fan in general, no club to go out of business. 
How would this possibly affect promotion/relegation?

Watching the Chesterfield Notts game….their first touch, control, passing, & play in general is so much better.

If that’s what’s required to get out of this league we are miles off!
I’m pretty sure we won’t be anywhere near that standard by this time next season.

We will need every one of the 6 or 7 players rumoured to be coming in during the summer and they will have to be of the quality to go straight into the team!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Watching the Chesterfield Notts game….their first touch, control, passing, & play in general is so much better.

If that’s what’s required to get out of this league we are miles off!
I’m pretty sure we won’t be anywhere near that standard by this time next season.

We will need every one of the 6 or 7 players rumoured to be coming in during the summer and they will have to be of the quality to go straight into the team!!

What a cheating cunt Dobra was. Twice went down holding his head when he hadn't been touched anywhere near it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

What a cheating cunt Dobra was. Twice went down holding his head when he hadn't been touched anywhere near it. 

He is one to watch and Latics seem to have a habit of being on the wrong end of crap ref decisions. On the whole though, I thought both teams were way, way ahead of the standard this league generally has in terms of football.

As oafc1955 said, we will need  6 or 7 players of good quality to get anywhere near that standard, although I haven't read anything about these players coming in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

I heard it mentioned on the BPAS podcast, can’t remember if it was an opinion or it came from within the club?

Ah, I haven't listened to all the podcasts but I think we can generally agree it is something which is going to be required to compete at the top.

16 hours ago, latics22 said:

Notts county and Wrexham are trouncing the league,  we need both to go up to have any chance next year.

Both Wrexham and Notts County are oncourse to get over 100 points yet a bad day in the play offs and they start next August still in the National League. That proves how tough it's going to be to get out of this division. Even if both go up their will be clubs that will challenge Scunthorpe could be transformed come August Chesterfield should be in the mix again. A club like Fylde could come up and really have an impact we are always going to be challenged aslong as we are in this division. Someone will come along and really get it together. Therefore we need to be braced for the fact that even if we have our shit together we could end up seeing a few play off campaigns that end up in anguish which could be quite tough to take. I'm braced for the fact we could be here for 5 years or ofcourse we could get up next season.

Having said 6-7 quality players coming in with alot of deadwood going out will probably be enough to get top 7 from their anything could happen. The play offs are notoriously unpredictable.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Both Wrexham and Notts County are oncourse to get over 100 points yet a bad day in the play offs and they start next August still in the National League. That proves how tough it's going to be to get out of this division. Even if both go up their will be clubs that will challenge Scunthorpe could be transformed come August Chesterfield should be in the mix again. A club like Fylde could come up and really have an impact we are always going to be challenged aslong as we are in this division. Someone will come along and really get it together. Therefore we need to be braced for the fact that even if we have our shit together we could end up seeing a few play off campaigns that end up in anguish which could be quite tough to take. I'm braced for the fact we could be here for 5 years or ofcourse we could get up next season.

Having said 6-7 quality players coming in with alot of deadwood going out will probably be enough to get top 7 from their anything could happen. The play offs are notoriously unpredictable.

It seems that the EFL are open to 3 down from Lg2 and obviously 3 up from NL. Be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and how quickly they make that change. Lots needed for us to compete, but it’s only a good thing they are thinking of agreeing to that change.

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I heard it mentioned on the BPAS podcast, can’t remember if it was an opinion or it came from within the club?

Just an opinion I think as we will be able to offload 10-15 players who are out of contract so will have room in the budget to recruit a few decent additions.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I thought that too - if it was a game they drew then the other two points should have gone to the opposition. Now what was the result when we played them at home? 🤔

I think the point deduction was just a sanction for the incident and not to do with the result of the game. From what I heard, their home defeat to Wrexham might be the game to look at...

4 minutes ago, redlion said:

The one point deduction is for one point gained for a drawn game. They could have been deducted more points but weren't.

I think they were deducted 1 point because the club proved it was a inadvertent error. We don't deserve any extra points after they smashed us once and nearly won (deservedly so) the other. 

16 minutes ago, redlion said:

The one point deduction is for one point gained for a drawn game. They could have been deducted more points but weren't.

That was how I read it. However Martin was given a straight red when they played Southend and played against us the following game ( the defeat) when I would have thought he should have been suspended.

6 minutes ago, astottie said:

That was how I read it. However Martin was given a straight red when they played Southend and played against us the following game ( the defeat) when I would have thought he should have been suspended.

Well if that is the case fuck knows how they got away with a 1pt deduction, a straight red is an auto 3 match ban. 

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Well if that is the case fuck knows how they got away with a 1pt deduction, a straight red is an auto 3 match ban. 

Not for a professional foul, only for violent conduct (no idea what that red was for)

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Not for a professional foul, only for violent conduct (no idea what that red was for)

'Gateshead's Aaron Martin was sent off in the 34th minute for shoving Gus Scott-Morriss to the floor as the visitors slipped to a defeat which leaves them in the relegation zone.'