MATCH: Altrincham (H) 28/10/23

Hope it's an asset (although he did handball it for the pen..). 

Sheron IS a good player. Always has been. 

Ref was the worst of the season (so far).

Thought we played alright - it wasn't a lucky draw, where the opposition missed loads of chances like the Dagenham game... or most of the draws under you know who. 

Support was brilliant. Didn't hear any negativity during the game, even when we were behind...

One good, one bad, one alright under Mellon so far...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

God its dire reading on here. Many positives to take from today, especially given we were playing against 12 men.

Hudson improved distribution both accuracy and speed which has been well needed. 

Enjoyed the underlapping fullbacks and although clearly not match sharp, Freeman was a huge breath of fresh-air.

Hobson an absolute rock at the back, again.

McGahey looks to split lines with his passing, something we lack through the whole squad.

Cant understand the Lundstram hate? retains the ball, tidy passing, non stop energy, always willing to press, always willing to drive from midfield. He's not Bellingham granted but he is quality for this division.

Looked to keep the ball and build from the back. We will only get better the more we play like that.

I think a (long term) RB and a CM that can add that incisive pass (and who isn't made of rich tea biscuits) and we make the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

did he? 

None of their fans, players or bench appealed for it which was really weird given the ref couldn't wait to give it, that was despite their player retreating as he thought the decision had gone against him. Missed some blatant schoolboy stuff and looked out of his depth, his liner missed a couple of offside as well as he struggled to keep up with play, worst set of officials we've had for a long long time and we've had our share recently. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

did he? 

He definitely handballed it after slipping over, changing the direction of the ball. Whether you can claim it's intentional etc as per the rules, I'm not sure. Can see why it was given.

Wasn't the worst decision the ref made - Hobson had his shirt almost ripped off him in the box which was a blatant pen, the Green incident when he was fouled and it was given the other way, Hope elbowed in the face with nothing given and that throw in at the end when he couldn't decide who to give it to were more embarrassing....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

None of their fans, players or bench appealed for it which was really weird given the ref couldn't wait to give it, that was despite their player retreating as he thought the decision had gone against him. Missed some blatant schoolboy stuff and looked out of his depth, his liner missed a couple of offside as well as he struggled to keep up with play, worst set of officials we've had for a long long time and we've had our share recently. 

there is a video online… looked like nothing. 

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He definitely handballed it after slipping over, changing the direction of the ball. Whether you can claim it's intentional etc as per the rules, I'm not sure. Can see why it was given.

Wasn't the worst decision the ref made - Hobson had his shirt almost ripped off him in the box which was a blatant pen, the Green incident when he was fouled and it was given the other way, Hope elbowed in the face with nothing given and that throw in at the end when he couldn't decide who to give it to were more embarrassing....

I don't think their is such thing as accidental or unintentional handball these days if it hits your hand in the penalty area these days it's a penalty.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

God its dire reading on here. Many positives to take from today, especially given we were playing against 12 men.

Hudson improved distribution both accuracy and speed which has been well needed. 

Enjoyed the underlapping fullbacks and although clearly not match sharp, Freeman was a huge breath of fresh-air.

Hobson an absolute rock at the back, again.

McGahey looks to split lines with his passing, something we lack through the whole squad.

Cant understand the Lundstram hate? retains the ball, tidy passing, non stop energy, always willing to press, always willing to drive from midfield. He's not Bellingham granted but he is quality for this division.

Looked to keep the ball and build from the back. We will only get better the more we play like that.

I think a (long term) RB and a CM that can add that incisive pass (and who isn't made of rich tea biscuits) and we make the playoffs.

Good post , my only issue is we can’t seem to hold a system together long enough for it to count. I hope Mellon can find a formula soon. 
probably in a minority here but I thought Mcgahey did ok today . 

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think their is such thing as accidental or unintentional handball these days if it hits your hand in the penalty area these days it's a penalty.

It's all about whether it's deemed to be in an unnatural position. The exact wording has changed every other season but I think at the minute they're supposed to take into account the action a player makes, rather than anything other than arms by your side being unnatural.

52 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Hope it's an asset (although he did handball it for the pen..). 

Sheron IS a good player. Always has been. 

Ref was the worst of the season (so far).

Thought we played alright - it wasn't a lucky draw, where the opposition missed loads of chances like the Dagenham game... or most of the draws under you know who. 

Support was brilliant. Didn't hear any negativity during the game, even when we were behind...

One good, one bad, one alright under Mellon so far...

The MSU were voicing their discontent when we were keeping possession instead of going forward.

Might not have been audible in the other stands though.

I didn't think it was too bad really, we looked more comfortable in possession than we have for a long time. Still need to work on being more aggressive and innovative in the final 3rd.

Hudson 7 - Solid, distribution was ok, didn't think he had an awful lot to do.

Freeman 6 - Took a while to get going and Alty had most of their joy down his side. Nice assist for Norwoods goal and definitely looks more comfortable there than Sutton.

Hobson 8 - Definitely the most crucial of our defenders now, his pace and the way he can read the game is so useful.

Mcgahey 6 - First half he was a bit sloppy on the ball and sent several Gardner style pings straight to the alty midfield. Better as the game went on and does have a decent long ball in him.

Kitching 6 - Didn't think he had his best game, still a threat going forwards but his crosses left a lot to be desired today. Sometimes I wish the ball would reach him a bit quicker because he often has space but it takes 3 or 4 passes to get out to him.

Green 4 - He's never been particularly great at the defensive side of things and again he was caught in no man's land for their goal. Didn't offer enough going forwards (last time I gave him a poor rating he started banging them in so here's hoping 😂).

Sheron 6 - Scored a cracker, not sure I've seen him hit the ball more cleanly. But he really frustrates me. He needs to be better at showing for the ball from the CBS. Too often he was marked out of the game first half. On the ball, he needs to learn how to advance play. He only ever goes the way he's facing, which is usually backwards, and it just slows us down far too much. Because the thing is, on the few occasions he does drive forward with it, he looks good. I know he isn't going to turn into a playmaker but he just needs to think more positively.

Lundstrum 7 - I thought he looked really good. Great work for the first goal in the corner and always looks to get on the ball and get us moving. The more he plays, the better he'll get as he builds those relationships.

Hope 6 - Had to score early on when booting it over, will always put in a shift and unlucky with the penalty. Would like him to stay wide a bit more because it will create more space in the middle. At times linked well with Kitching and Lundstrum, wanted to see more of it.

Norwood 8 - The guy scores goals, and I like goals. You can see the quality he has when he's on the ball. If we can give him the service he wants, he'll hit 25+. Also he was the one screaming at them to get back after Sheron scored, he's a winner. And that's the mentality we need.

Nuttall 5 - He's just at a low in confidence I think. I think he puts himself about but when you don't have that confidence you make little mistakes. Don't really see a way back for him.

Reid I thought looked good when he came on and his pace will always cause problems. Does seem to be more effective off the bench though.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

did he? 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

there is a video online… looked like nothing. 

He still handled it. Deliberate or not.

Another Nuttall no show-Reid did more in 10 mins than Nuttall did for 60 mins. He really is one disappointing forward-looks the part, big strong lad, mobile but dear me he has no idea of positioning or timing and lacks any type of physical presence.

What a breath of fresh air (after 15 mins) to have a RB who can pass a ball to a blue shirt. No coincidence that Green (despite other comments) had one of his better games.

Could Reid be tried out wide instead of Green he looks quick?

Sheron and Lundstram if we can get a better CM will do a good job for us as. Stephen Warnock said today of a PL player all teams need a piano carrier.

Much better balance in the team today-need to find the right partner for Norwood now.

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I like Reid. But can you tell me ONE good thing he did when he came on

He tried for a start and looks to run the channels and get behind.

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I like Reid. But can you tell me ONE good thing he did when he came on

Used his pace to get in behind a few times. Turned a defender and then tried to lay it into Norwood at one point which was a decent idea. I think he just made us look more dangerous, the threat of his pace can cause the opposition to react differently, Alty definitely played a lot deeper when he came on....

5 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Used his pace to get in behind a few times. Turned a defender and then tried to lay it into Norwood at one point which was a decent idea. I think he just made us look more dangerous, the threat of his pace can cause the opposition to react differently, Alty definitely played a lot deeper when he came on....

I'd have brought Fondop on instead. Saw nothing from Reid that changed our approach

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

He didn’t seem to do much but he definitely gave their defence more to think about than Nuttall. 

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Garbage? Off the back of a dreadful performance against a team at the bottom, we've fought back to draw against a team in 5th place. Yes, you need to win your home games, but at least this is a response to Tuesday, with players (Freeman, McGahey, Nuttall) who haven't had much match time lately, and a manager in his third game. Patience is needed.

Surely we’re not dressing a draw at home to Altrincham as a good result?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Surely we’re not dressing a draw at home to Altrincham as a good result?

It’s a team currently in the play offs so that’s your gauge. There will obviously be additions, yes we missed chances but Micky isn’t stupid. He knows what we need. 

• Like 3