MATCH: Altrincham (H) 28/10/23

6 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

It’s a team currently in the play offs so that’s your gauge. There will obviously be additions, yes we missed chances but Micky isn’t stupid. He knows what we need. 

I think he will need a bit of time to properly weigh up the squad, whilst I think your last bit is right the introduction of Nuttall in to the fray probably makes him feel a bit stupid, it certainly would have done if one of his defence splitters had put us 3-1 down.

I can't have it that he's happy with our wide men either, there must be better options out there.

12 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

It’s a team currently in the play offs so that’s your gauge. There will obviously be additions, yes we missed chances but Micky isn’t stupid. He knows what we need. 

My gauge is we shouldn’t be in Mid table, we should be challenging at the top of the league. Altrincham , after what I’ve seen after playing them twice, shouldn’t be above us, so I’m not celebrating a home draw.

11 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

My gauge is we shouldn’t be in Mid table, we should be challenging at the top of the league. Altrincham , after what I’ve seen after playing them twice, shouldn’t be above us, so I’m not celebrating a home draw.

Incremental changes we are talking about, given we haven’t brought anyone in yet. No one is celebrating a draw, just acknowledging a good performance. Let’s not forget we were unbeaten against a lot of the bottom dross with the most recent of those draws. Alty have some very good players. Conn-Clarke for starters. Linney when he returns is another good player. 

Edited by adamoafc

I'm sure Mellon wants to see what the players can do on the pitch, after today Nuttall has done himself no favours, what he sees in Green to keep starting him is beyond me. I'm sure once Ward Gardner and Dickenson are fit Green will be out of the match day squad. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

It wasn’t awful- I’ve watched far far worse than that. 

But was it was frustrating- should’ve been two up inside ten minutes, and missed two great chances. 

Just watch their first goal back, Lundy watches their player go past him, makes a little Jog- with no intent- he crosses-  goal. I thought he was really poor today. 

We got a really good equaliser that was really well worked, and then they get an absolute freebie off the ref. 

Second half we pressed well for the opening ten 10/15 minutes then sat off, and didn’t create much despite nearly all the possession. Then Sheron pops up with a wonder strike. 

It’s a game we could and should have won quite comfortably. 

Pros. 

They’re some neat passages of play and we we look a threat at times going forward. 

Sheron was terrific. 

Hobson is a monster who won’t be here long. 

Freeman- while not amazing, was 5 million times better than Sutton at right back, especially going forward and giving us the overlap. 

The squad isn’t amazing but such is the shite of this league it’s still very possible to finish top 7 especially with a couple more. 

Cons.

Our build up is terminal at times, we had loads moments today to find the forward pass, and it gets dragged back- sometimes as far as the keeper, killing the tempo and giving them 3 days to get back into shape. It needs to be much quicker. 

Lundy is not the level I thought he was going to be - he’s very average and Sheron was far better than him today. 

But the biggest by far - Joe Nuttall needs moving on. I’m sick of watching him jump near the ball, to make it look like an attempt but is actually nowhere near it. When he is near a player he shrinks when he jumps, and I’m sick of watching him get bossed off the ball for a man of his size. He does not compete, and we carried him today. He is nowhere near good enough. 

I was really impressed with Hope today. Good all round performance. He's never a midfielder but never stopped running and did the simple things well. He's been through a lot but gives his all. We'll done to him today.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think he will need a bit of time to properly weigh up the squad, whilst I think your last bit is right the introduction of Nuttall in to the fray probably makes him feel a bit stupid, it certainly would have done if one of his defence splitters had put us 3-1 down.

I can't have it that he's happy with our wide men either, there must be better options out there.

Absolutely. Everyone will be getting a fresh start, they are all on trial, live time. 

No chance he is happy with the wide men, I think Green is a good impact sub to run at back lines the last 10 when teams tire but nothing else currently he has let himself down abit recently. Hope does alright but again another that doesn’t provide enough in a game to make it count and to cause regular issues for a backline. Hopefully we will see some changes out wide. 

Edited by adamoafc

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I'm sure Mellon wants to see what the players can do on the pitch, after today Nuttall has done himself no favours, what he sees in Green to keep starting him is beyond me. I'm sure once Ward Gardner and Dickenson are fit Green will be out of the match day squad. 

I think greens pace and link up play with freeman worked ok today. He’s not the best but he put a couple of decent crosses in today which should have been used much better than they were. 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Who you starting instead of Green?

7 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

I was really impressed with Hope today. Good all round performance. He's never a midfielder but never stopped running and did the simple things well. He's been through a lot but gives his all. We'll done to him today.

I'll  second that.

Plus so close with that low bending shot which just missed.Pity he missed one early on but he will come good with more  games..same with Reid.Nuttall had a poor game and until he can regain his form should not start.

35 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Put their number 10 Conn-Clarke in our side we would be in top 3 

Was thinking the same we were crying out for a player like that who can get on the ball and open teams up. I cam see why he's highly rated.

Regarding Nuttall I've tried to stick up for him overall but he was given a start today to impress his new manager and he really was poor. I can see him being one of those that Mellon will get rid of as we evolve the squad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Was thinking the same we were crying out for a player like that who can get on the ball and open teams up. I cam see why he's highly rated.

Regarding Nuttall I've tried to stick up for him overall but he was given a start today to impress his new manager and he really was poor. I can see him being one of those that Mellon will get rid of as we evolve the squad.

Didn't think much of C.Clarke today. I was looking forward to being impressed by him but thought he had a very quiet game. Lundstram was better IMO. 

I stuck up for Nuttall, tried to stick by him and do believe he could score goals at this level. But he’s been crap for us hasn’t he ? 

He had so much space picked up some pockets, but instead of turning he just one touches it backwards, or is caught too slow on the ball. 

11 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Didn't think much of C.Clarke today. I was looking forward to being impressed by him but thought he had a very quiet game. Lundstram was better IMO. 

I think at team like ours he'd thrive.

I'm reserving judgment on Lundstrum I'd say he was ok today but I wouldn't say he was that influential for us overall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm reserving judgment on Lundstrum I'd say he was ok today but I wouldn't say he was that influential for us overall.

Agreed. He's solid but we definitely need a creative spark in midfield as well.

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Surely we’re not dressing a draw at home to Altrincham as a good result?

It's better than losing to Alty, isn't it? We came from behind twice which, to me, shows some character. The varying opinions here is nothing unusual, I didn't see or hear the game but the after reading the official report, I saw glimmers of hope.

It's obvious that Mellon is going to run his eye over all the players in a match situation, he's going to bring some in as well as offload, if possible. From his initial interview, I thought Mellon viewed wingers as old school and not essential. Maybe just my take. Will he go down that route, I'm not so sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Another Nuttall no show-Reid did more in 10 mins than Nuttall did for 60 mins.

Which still amounted to absolutely fu** all! 

Norwood apart I don’t see this wealth of strikers we apparently have!

I don’t care who our manager is, you can’t polish a turd and we’re at least 5 players short!

Mellon has a massive job on his hands.

And Sheron is much better without Shelton!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Lundstram will be a decent player for us, he can't do all the creative stuff on his own, a Gardner type alongside makes it easier for him to be more influential. I'm hoping Ward is back soon as he could be a player who puts us on the front foot a little more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Agreed. 

The number one thing I want from any player is to compete, or in other words to be in the game consistently. I haven’t seen enough of Ward yet (who can play on the left) but of the current options in that position - tollit/dicky/hope. Hope plays every time for me, because he’s always in the game. 

48 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's better than losing to Alty, isn't it? We came from behind twice which, to me, shows some character. The varying opinions here is nothing unusual, I didn't see or hear the game but the after reading the official report, I saw glimmers of hope.

It's obvious that Mellon is going to run his eye over all the players in a match situation, he's going to bring some in as well as offload, if possible. From his initial interview, I thought Mellon viewed wingers as old school and not essential. Maybe just my take. Will he go down that route, I'm not so sure.

But a home draw against anyone in this division is not a good result. Just because it’s better than losing doesn’t make it good

44 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I don’t care who our manager is, you can’t polish a turd and we’re at least 5 players short!

Mellon has a massive job on his hands.

Disagree.

A new central midfield player and find one of our strikers who can form a partnership with Norwood.

Hardly a massive job.

• Like 4