MATCH: Altrincham (H) 28/10/23

21 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

But a home draw against anyone in this division is not a good result. Just because it’s better than losing doesn’t make it good

You're right, but I think there's reasons for optimism. It was better than anything we saw under Unsworth...

I think Mellon will have to do a bit of tinkering with what he's got before he knows who he wants to keep and where he needs to strengthen. It might mean writing off this season, but it might not because there's a long way to go and we're not that far behind. 

At Newport I'd really like to give some of the fringe players a run out. Two different strikes, Tollitt and Norman even given a run out... 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What is it with the mentality of some of our fans since Unsy left? 

I’m talking about. 

‘We should hammer these’ (which is practically every club) 

‘That was awful’ 

‘We need 6 new players’ 

The reaction to any result other than a win is so over the top. Even when we go 8 unbeaten, ‘yeah, we’re winning but still playing shit. 

By all accounts we were dreadful Tuesday, it happens. In reaction to that- Today we’ve reduced them to literally one chance, which they’ve scored from. An extremely dubious or penalty, which we can do nothing about. Meanwhile we’ve created two guilt edge chances and scored two great goals. There are clear patterns of play, we actually string passes together and our ball retention is soo much better.

There is lots to improve of course. 

But this time last last year, I sat watching Unsy’s first few games and was thinking - oh my word this is really worrying. Both in results and performance. Move on a year, we’re top half, a couple of wins off the payoffs, and of Mellons 3 games we’ve had two good performances and one bad. I’m not exaggerating when I say Unsworth had one good half against Wrexham in his first 3 months. . . 

The board made a cock up with DU, they’ve taken action and it’s clear as day to me we now have a manager who knows what he’s doing. As long as they compete, let’s give him the space to mould it without the hyperbole to every result. 

You’ve got no chance with some of our fans, I’ve come to realise this after the Rochdale game and the reaction to the Fylde game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

What is it with the mentality of some of our fans since Unsy left? 

I’m talking about. 

We should hammer these’ (which is practically every club) 

‘That was awful’ 

‘We need 6 new players’ 

The reaction to any result other than a win is so over the top. Even when we go 8 unbeaten, ‘yeah, we’re winning but still playing shit. 

By all accounts we were dreadful Tuesday, it happens. In reaction to that- Today we’ve reduced them to literally one chance, which they’ve scored from. An extremely dubious or penalty, which we can do nothing about. Meanwhile we’ve created two guilt edge chances and scored two great goals. There are clear patterns of play, we actually string passes together and our ball retention is soo much better.

There is lots to improve of course. 

But this time last last year, I sat watching Unsy’s first few games and was thinking - oh my word this is really worrying. Both in results and performance. Move on a year, we’re top half, a couple of wins off the payoffs, and of Mellons 3 games we’ve had two good performances and one bad. I’m not exaggerating when I say Unsworth had one good half against Wrexham in his first 3 months. . . 

The board made a cock up with DU, they’ve taken action and it’s clear as day to me we now have a manager who knows what he’s doing. As long as they compete, let’s give him the space to mould it without the hyperbole to every result. 

These are responses to every result we have.  

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Much better balance in the team today-need to find the right partner for Norwood now.

Even though we have 4 other strikers in the squad I’m not convinced that we have a suitable partner for Norwood!

Perhaps Willoughby will get his chance soon?

10 hours ago, JoeP said:

You're right, but I think there's reasons for optimism. It was better than anything we saw under Unsworth...

I think Mellon will have to do a bit of tinkering with what he's got before he knows who he wants to keep and where he needs to strengthen. It might mean writing off this season, but it might not because there's a long way to go and we're not that far behind. 

At Newport I'd really like to give some of the fringe players a run out. Two different strikes, Tollitt and Norman even given a run out... 

Although he wouldn’t have been my choice I’ve far more faith in Mellon than I ever had in Unsworth and happy with him and think he’ll sort us out.

I suppose I just get frustrated as I think we should be so much better.

If you said at the start of the season we’d be mid table after 18 games I’d have been well pissed off, and I just can’t get excited at looking at the league table to see how many points we are off seventh place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Although he wouldn’t have been my choice I’ve far more faith in Mellon than I ever had in Unsworth and happy with him and think he’ll sort us out.

I suppose I just get frustrated as I think we should be so much better.

If you said at the start of the season we’d be mid table after 18 games I’d have been well pissed off, and I just can’t get excited at looking at the league table to see how many points we are off seventh place.

I know what you mean - I'd probably be spending my Saturday afternoons doing something else if we were in this situation and Unsworth was still here, but the board to their credit have played it right.  They made a mistake - which they're allowed to do - gave Unsworth just enough time to show he wasn't up to the job and have acted.  Recruitment is another area that they will have learnt about the hard way.

I'm in this "Zen" place that I was reluctant to join 6 months ago.  We're going to have to readjust our expectations for this season, but I think Mellon is a good appointment and I'm impressed with what I've seen so far (Tuesday was the worst, but the reaction yesterday was good enough) and I think the club will definitely be near the top next season, if they don't make the play-offs this time round.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Steve Eyre on the radio reckoned Green was by far our best player... 

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

And Steve Eyre is someone along with his Dad who knows Sweet F.A about anything including football. Incidentally he's an arrogant T__t as well.

If Steve Eyre told me Rochdale won and Oldham lost I'd check the internet. 

He is a truly awful biased commentator. 

Green wasn't as bad as some people have made out yesterday, especially when he actually tried to beat his man. But to say he was by far our best player says so much more about the commentator than the performance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Didn't think much of C.Clarke today. I was looking forward to being impressed by him but thought he had a very quiet game. Lundstram was better IMO. 

You was looking forward to seeing an opposition player playing well against us ? We do have a bizarre set of supporters don’t we 😳

13 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Which still amounted to absolutely fu** all! 

Norwood apart I don’t see this wealth of strikers we apparently have!

I don’t care who our manager is, you can’t polish a turd and we’re at least 5 players short!

Mellon has a massive job on his hands.

And Sheron is much better without Shelton!!

The strikers have all scored double figures in a season haven’t they ? We were usually signing ones that hadn’t scored double figures in their careers. The strikers are not the problem. The supply line is pants. 

53 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Green wasn't as bad as some people have made out yesterday, especially when he actually tried to beat his man. But to say he was by far our best player says so much more about the commentator than the performance.

I think he beat his man ( which is actually his job as a ‘winger’ ) twice in the whole 90 minutes and got in one decent cross.

No doubt about it…..he was piss poor!

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

I think he beat his man ( which is actually his job as a ‘winger’ ) twice in the whole 90 minutes and got in one decent cross.

Whilst not disputing his lack of overall impact I think you could easily double your assessments of taking his man on and getting decent crosses in.

In the first half especially he seemed reluctant to take his man on and looked to play the ball back to Freeman or inside to Sheron. 

Freeman too had a chance very early into the match to have a dig when approaching the penalty area but chose to play the ball wide to Green. When I played we were constantly bollocking our full backs as they chose to shoot on virtually every occasion. 🥵 

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m not a happy clapper for Green but he got a few decent crosses in and forced several corners in the second half with Freeman helping him out, who incidentally I thought played very well to say he hasn’t played for weeks. 

38 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You was looking forward to seeing an opposition player playing well against us ? We do have a bizarre set of supporters don’t we 😳

Never said I wanted him to play well against us. Just that. I was interested in watching him. he's received so many plaudits. Clearly your not a footballing man or woman?