MATCH: Altrincham (H) 28/10/23

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Well that was fucking awful topped off by as bad a referee your ever likely to see at any level, he missed so much I yet was the only man in the ground appealing for an Alty penalty, he then waved away appeals after Hobson was wrapped up and had a bow put on him by one of their defenders, shocking display from him.

Norwood way off it but seems immune now, Green weak as piss and doesn't even want to graft anymore, Sheron scored a worldy but he's a passenger in there and doesn't have the ability to make a forward pass, so much wrong with the team, no urgency, no nouse, no desire, no leaders and most of all little ability. Missed some absolute sitters early on and second best for the remainder of the game, Nuttall fucking awful - again.

We still need 3 or 4 players in minimum.

Some good in this summary…but I can’t believe you are calling Sheron out today when the other 11 players that played were all worse than him and Norwood was not “way off” either. 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Well that was fucking awful topped off by as bad a referee your ever likely to see at any level, he missed so much I yet was the only man in the ground appealing for an Alty penalty, he then waved away appeals after Hobson was wrapped up and had a bow put on him by one of their defenders, shocking display from him.

Norwood way off it but seems immune now, Green weak as piss and doesn't even want to graft anymore, Sheron scored a worldy but he's a passenger in there and doesn't have the ability to make a forward pass, so much wrong with the team, no urgency, no nouse, no desire, no leaders and most of all little ability. Missed some absolute sitters early on and second best for the remainder of the game, Nuttall fucking awful - again.

We still need 3 or 4 players in minimum.

He's scored 7 league goals in 14 starts though. He can be as off as he likes for me if he keeps that ratio up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

He's scored 7 league goals in 14 starts though. He can be as off as he likes for me if he keeps that ratio up.

There was an expectation he was going to score when he did too. Not felt that for a striker at Oldham for years.

It wasn’t awful- I’ve watched far far worse than that. 

But was it was frustrating- should’ve been two up inside ten minutes, and missed two great chances. 

Just watch their first goal back, Lundy watches their player go past him, makes a little Jog- with no intent- he crosses-  goal. I thought he was really poor today. 

We got a really good equaliser that was really well worked, and then they get an absolute freebie off the ref. 

Second half we pressed well for the opening ten 10/15 minutes then sat off, and didn’t create much despite nearly all the possession. Then Sheron pops up with a wonder strike. 

It’s a game we could and should have won quite comfortably. 

Pros. 

They’re some neat passages of play and we we look a threat at times going forward. 

Sheron was terrific. 

Hobson is a monster who won’t be here long. 

Freeman- while not amazing, was 5 million times better than Sutton at right back, especially going forward and giving us the overlap. 

The squad isn’t amazing but such is the shite of this league it’s still very possible to finish top 7 especially with a couple more. 

Cons.

Our build up is terminal at times, we had loads moments today to find the forward pass, and it gets dragged back- sometimes as far as the keeper, killing the tempo and giving them 3 days to get back into shape. It needs to be much quicker. 

Lundy is not the level I thought he was going to be - he’s very average and Sheron was far better than him today. 

But the biggest by far - Joe Nuttall needs moving on. I’m sick of watching him jump near the ball, to make it look like an attempt but is actually nowhere near it. When he is near a player he shrinks when he jumps, and I’m sick of watching him get bossed off the ball for a man of his size. He does not compete, and we carried him today. He is nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But the biggest by far - Joe Nuttall needs moving on. I’m sick of watching him jump near the ball, to make it look like an attempt but is actually nowhere near it. When he is near a player he shrinks when he jumps, and I’m sick of watching him get bossed off the ball for a man of his size. He does not compete, and we carried him today. He is nowhere near good enough. 

Those two lazy and cowardly knock backs into midfield he did just before being subbed were criminal. One almost leading to a goal for Alty. Truly awful today. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Best we have played that… I’d even go as far to say we controlled that game ?

Alti absolutely shite though. 

I wouldn't say we controlled the game but we did have more of the ball than in some of the games I've seen. I'd say we were ok but we need to be better than that if we want to get into the play offs.

We still lack abit of inventiveness . I actually thought Sheron had a poor game until he put that one in the top corner with his weaker foot. Apart from his shocking miss I though Hallam Hope did well 2nd half as he showed intent to go looking for the ball and trying to make things happen.

I still believe we can make the play offs. We will have to be better than that though. This squad will look different in a couple of months time. The first target though needs to be a magic man/code breaker who can open up tight defenses we don't have that and it showed second half if we did we would have won that today.

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But was it was frustrating- should’ve been two up inside ten minutes, and missed two great chances. 

Just watch their first goal back, Lundy watches their player go past him, makes a little Jog- with no intent- he crosses-  goal. I thought he was really poor today. 

We got a really good equaliser that was really well worked, and then they get an absolute freebie off the ref. 

Second half we pressed well for the opening ten 10/15 minutes then sat off, and didn’t create much despite nearly all the possession. Then Sheron pops up with a wonder strike. 

Pros. 

They’re some neat passages of play and we we look a threat at times going forward. 

Sheron was terrific. 

Freeman- while not amazing, was 5 million times better than Sutton at right back, especially going forward and giving us the overlap. 

The squad isn’t amazing but such is the shite of this league it’s still very possible to finish top 7 especially with a couple more. 

Cons.

Our build up is terminal at times, we had loads moments today to find the forward pass, and it gets dragged back- sometimes as far as the keeper, killing the tempo and giving them 3 days to get back into shape. It needs to be much quicker. 

Lundy is not the level I thought he was going to be - he’s very average and Sheron was far better than him today. 

Very good summary, agree with all of this.

Lundstram was largely anonymous, but I think it was him that worked hard to retain and create in the build up to the first goal?

The thing for me is that the manager has so few options despite our large squad - Gardner would probably be useful, but other than him I can’t see how he could have improved on the starting lineup or changed it in-game.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldn't say we controlled the game but we did have more of the ball than in some of the games I've seen. I'd say we were ok but we need to be better than that if we want to get into the play offs.

We still lack abit of inventiveness . I actually thought Sheron had a poor game until he put that one in the top corner with his weaker foot. Apart from his shocking miss I though Hallam Hope did well 2nd half as he showed intent to go looking for the ball and trying to make things happen.

I still believe we can make the play offs. We will have to be better than that though. This squad will look different in a couple of months time. The first target though needs to be a magic man/code breaker who can open up tight defenses we don't have that and it showed second half if we did we would have won that today.

Do you think the squad will look different? Do you mean as in new faces or just a shuffle of the existing lot? 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Pros. 

Sheron was terrific. 

Cons.

Lundstam dropped deeper and deeper as the game went on, I don't know if its an injury or stamina problem, but it's a concern.

3 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Do you think the squad will look different? Do you mean as in new faces or just a shuffle of the existing lot? 

Yes it will look different there will be new faces Mellon wouldn't have taken the job if he was told he couldn't bring in new players. That would have been his first question he would have asked, and if they are the right players they will lift the other players too.

Edited by GlossopLatic

7 minutes ago, JED said:

Lundstram was largely anonymous, but I think it was him that worked hard to retain and create in the build up to the first goal?

The thing for me is that the manager has so few options despite our large squad - Gardner would probably be useful, but other than him I can’t see how he could have improved on the starting lineup or changed it in-game.

Agree Jed. 

The first new singing- must be a midfielder who can look after the ball and dictate our play. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Those two lazy and cowardly knock backs into midfield he did just before being subbed were criminal. One almost leading to a goal for Alty. Truly awful today. 

Weren't lazy. Misplaced passes trying to play the quick ball rather than slow it down. He wasn't great today but he did play a couple of really good passes. 

Reid may as well not have come onto the pitch when Nuttall went off though

6 minutes ago, JED said:

Ye, Lundstram did brilliantly for the first goal.

Sometimes you've got people screaming forwards, get it forwards. But there isn't a forward pass on because the movement off the ball isn't there 

If Norman had let 8 in in 3 games there would be blue murder on here, still think our best keeper is on the bench.

Freeman better than Sutton, I'd probably go with Hogan over McGahey on today's evidence who made an habit of giving the ball away today, wide areas are our weakness though and unsurprisingly that's where Thompson was keen to strengthen, Green is a passenger for large parts of the game and today even when we isolated him on their full back he wasn't prepared to knock it past him or have a run at him, Hope is industrious and that's about it.

We just don't have enough quality and players prepared to make things happen, Norwood in fact probably played his better football when he dropped in to midfield but that is a result of us being so poor in there, three or four times today we had players on the last man and nobody from our midfield had the vision to just slide the ball in behind. Why also can't Sheron receive the ball on the half turn and drive us forward, it doesn't always have to go backwards to our centrehalf, our attempts to transition play is painful at times yet teams to just stroll up the pitch against us at will. It was an improvement on Tuesday but that's no bench mark, there is so much to work on but unfortunately Mellon is going to need both players and time in my view to make it work.

Finally what's Fondop done to piss Mellon off?, we've just not seem him at all when it appears he could have done some sort of a job in the past couple of games.

Thought we played ok today and comfortably looked the better team.

Freeman gave us much better balance (once the rustiness lifted)

I wouldn't change that back 4 now.

We need a forward like Nuttall but better.

We need a winger like Green but better.

Hope wont lose his spot in this team now, been impressed with him.

Unlucky not to win that. On to the next !

A mid-table result for a mid-table team in the 5th division.

The road ahead is long and arduous. 

I’ve only just checked the score. I’m beyond envious of Chesterfield and Stockport fans. 

We will never have a winning team like that? Just isn’t to be.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If Norman had let 8 in in 3 games there would be blue murder on here, still think our best keeper is on the bench.

Freeman better than Sutton, I'd probably go with Hogan over McGahey on today's evidence who made an habit of giving the ball away today, wide areas are our weakness though and unsurprisingly that's where Thompson was keen to strengthen, Green is a passenger for large parts of the game and today even when we isolated him on their full back he wasn't prepared to knock it past him or have a run at him, Hope is industrious and that's about it.

We just don't have enough quality and players prepared to make things happen, Norwood in fact probably played his better football when he dropped in to midfield but that is a result of us being so poor in there, three or four times today we had players on the last man and nobody from our midfield had the vision to just slide the ball in behind. Why also can't Sheron receive the ball on the half turn and drive us forward, it doesn't always have to go backwards to our centrehalf, our attempts to transition play is painful at times yet teams to just stroll up the pitch against us at will. It was an improvement on Tuesday but that's no bench mark, there is so much to work on but unfortunately Mellon is going to need both players and time in my view to make it work.

Finally what's Fondop done to piss Mellon off?, we've just not seem him at all when it appears he could have done some sort of a job in the past couple of games.

Couldn't disagree more about McGahey. Thought he did really well still marshall the play even from CB!!

When he brought the ball forward we basically had an extra man in the middle. I'd be sticking with and telling him to keep driving us forward. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Weren't lazy. Misplaced passes trying to play the quick ball rather than slow it down. He wasn't great today but he did play a couple of really good passes. 

I was right in line with him when he made those. He just passed it back. No attempt to be inventive and no awareness of the space around him to turn. Just a lazy/clueless knock back from where it came. He was shite today. 

Some really strange reviews post game on here. Especially from @yarddog73

I thought we played well today. We played on the front foot, other than a 20 min spell Alty had. We didn’t resort to long hopeless balls, we stuck to a game plan which created chances and caused a lot of issues for Alty. If we had abit more composure from our wingers we would have won that comfortably. Massive improvement from Tuesday. 

I’m not sure what people are expecting from Norwood. He’s a 33yr old striker currently with a 1 in 2 goal ratio. He’s not going to have loads of spells of quality in the game. But he gets a chance and finishes it. I want more players like him who expect better and don’t settle for average. If we had a few more like him we wouldn’t be where we are now. 

I would be prioritising two wingers asap. If we sort our wide issues out I think it gives our CM/ forwards more space to cause more issues. 

Freeman with clever RB quality for Norwoods goal. 

McGahey organised the back line and constantly talked more than I’ve ever seen from Hogan. He looks to get the ball down and play quickly which also brought this out of Hobson. I appreciate early on he was sloppy but it got better, I would rather we took chances like that and played properly instead of route one. 

Much improved but I think there is more to come. 

6 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Thought we played ok today and comfortably looked the better team.

Freeman gave us much better balance (once the rustiness lifted)

I wouldn't change that back 4 now.

We need a forward like Nuttall but better.

We need a winger like Green but better.

Hope wont lose his spot in this team now, been impressed with him.

Unlucky not to win that. On to the next !

Provided Freeman is fit enough, three of the back four are sorted. Then perm one more from Hogan, Raglan, McGahey, Sutton…….
Raglan must have expected to step in today, but he is considering his future now surely? I’d have been happy to see him and Hobson today, but he’s obviously not impressed the manager yet!