League 1 Activity

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

Yeh, but that average is a fluctuating one... every bad year we're closer to mean.

What I'd like to see is the effect of our continued 3rd tier position on the mean, and how that compares to others. Someone like Bournemouth may be well above mean, but they were below it not long ago... I'd like to see how that lies for a decade or so.  Are they a flash in the pan (yes, unless they make it seriously stick) versus us, who're persistently below our historical position. If that makes sense?  In which case an argument can be made for the present being more representative than the historic.

If we want to get really deep someone should then take those trends and compare them to the local area's socioeconomic picture and see if there's a correlation (or even causation!).  But, I've gone full stats-nerd now and we've not a chance Sky will fund it... maybe someone should tweet the Guardian, they like that kind of thing.

Love this sort of discussion. I see the Jargon Police have given this a wide berth too, and rightly so. 

Stats-nerds rule. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Love this sort of discussion. I see the Jargon Police have given this a wide berth too, and rightly so. 

Stats-nerds rule. 

He used Plain English to state the fucking obvious. No jargon was harmed during the incident.

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I'll tell ya what Dave, you're bang on..... :lol:

1  Oldham 19.2%
2  Blackburn 16.6%
3  Blackpool 16.3%
4  Bury 15.9%
5  Rochdale 15.5%
6  Rotherham 15.4%
7  Oxford 13.8%
8  Northampton 13.6%
9  Scunthorpe 13.5%
10  AFC Wimbledon 13.0%
11  Peterborough 12.9%
12  Shrewsbury 11.5%
13  Bristol Rovers 10.7%
14  Wigan 10.4%
15  Plymouth 9.9%
16  Portsmouth 9.8%
17  Walsall 9.8%
18  Southend 9.2%
19  Gillingham 8.1%
20  Doncaster 7.9%
21  Charlton 7.2%
22  Bradford 6.0%
23  Fleetwood 6.0%
24  MK Dons 4.8%

Finish bottom 8 but we regularly win the % away support league.

Looking at the current league table we may lose our coverted away fan title next season as Blackburn a d Wigan coukd both well go up and Rochdale and Bury looking likely to go the other way.

I think its something we would all happily sacrifice for (hopefully) abit more success on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Finish bottom 8 but we regularly win the % away support league.

Looking at the current league table we may lose our coverted away fan title next season as Blackburn a d Wigan coukd both well go up and Rochdale and Bury looking likely to go the other way.

I think its something we would all happily sacrifice for (hopefully) abit more success on the pitch.

Not sure as Blackburn, Bury and Rochdale (3/4 of the rest of the top 5 won't be in the competition). 

Doubt we will be running away with it as we are doing. (Loads of our big aways still to come). 

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Not sure as Blackburn, Bury and Rochdale (3/4 of the rest of the top 5 won't be in the competition). 

Doubt we will be running away with it as we are doing. (Loads of our big aways still to come). 

Not running away with it? Pretty sure we will be taking more than 20% to the likes of Wigan Rochdale and Bury.

19 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Impressive stuff from Ackey, if only Latics knew what they had when he was a mere web monkey...could have sold him on and put in a clause....:tongue1:

That Corney could have cashed in...

:lol:

I should have founded Opta - I'd be minted!

19 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure that bears out. Of our 101 league seasons...

Sorry, I intended for "persistently below" to be in the context of my "last decade" caveat - that wasn't obvious, looking back.

23 hours ago, Ryan said:

23 hours ago, Ackey said:

Indeed. I would love to see that data on a trend line, as I would expect to find we've got one of the worst in the whole 92.

20 hours ago, Ackey said:

Yeh, but that average is a fluctuating one... every bad year we're closer to mean.

What I'd like to see is the effect of our continued 3rd tier position on the mean, and how that compares to others. Someone like Bournemouth may be well above mean, but they were below it not long ago... I'd like to see how that lies for a decade or so.  Are they a flash in the pan (yes, unless they make it seriously stick) versus us, who're persistently below our historical position. If that makes sense?  In which case an argument can be made for the present being more representative than the historic.

If we want to get really deep someone should then take those trends and compare them to the local area's socioeconomic picture and see if there's a correlation (or even causation!).  But, I've gone full stats-nerd now and we've not a chance Sky will fund it... maybe someone should tweet the Guardian, they like that kind of thing.

19 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Not sure that bears out. Of our 101 league seasons:

top flight = 12/101
In 2nd of 3 tiers = 13/101
In 2nd of 4 tiers = 20/101
In 3rd of 4 tiers = 30/101
bottom flight = 26/101

Bottom flight obviously includes when we were in 3N when there was no 4th divison (16 seasons - 10 top half, 6 bottom half), and 3 when there were only 2 divisons. Of the 12 seasons in 2nd of 3rd tiers we were top half 7 times, bottom half 5.

Even ignoring the above, our 37 years in 3/4 or 4/4 is not far off eclipsing the 45 years we've been in the second tier or higher.

The trouble begins with the quality and scope of the original data and the results extrapolated from that data. The list is based only on the last 50 years and not since either Oldham or indeed the football league was founded. Wigan was not even a football league club until 1978.

13 minutes ago, singe said:

Story so far, and games to go. Win our 4 a\way games at Bury, Dale,  and AFCW, add in a home win v Blackpool  with teams around us and surely we are safe. I'l put  Northampton to one side obviosuly

We've won two of sixteen away games so far this season so to expect four from our last seven is a big ask.

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We've won two of sixteen away games so far this season so to expect four from our last seven is a big ask.

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

The bottom two in that four though.

And four of the bottom 7. Exactly the sort of away games we have won season after season despite struggling. 

On 22/02/2018 at 3:54 PM, lookersstandandy said:

1  Oldham 19.2%
2  Blackburn 16.6%
3  Blackpool 16.3%
4  Bury 15.9%
5  Rochdale 15.5%
6  Rotherham 15.4%
7  Oxford 13.8%
8  Northampton 13.6%
9  Scunthorpe 13.5%
10  AFC Wimbledon 13.0%
11  Peterborough 12.9%
12  Shrewsbury 11.5%
13  Bristol Rovers 10.7%
14  Wigan 10.4%
15  Plymouth 9.9%
16  Portsmouth 9.8%
17  Walsall 9.8%
18  Southend 9.2%
19  Gillingham 8.1%
20  Doncaster 7.9%
21  Charlton 7.2%
22  Bradford 6.0%
23  Fleetwood 6.0%
24  MK Dons 4.8%

Be interesting to see this table extended to cover the 92 league teams.

On 22/02/2018 at 3:54 PM, lookersstandandy said:

1  Oldham 19.2%
2  Blackburn 16.6%
3  Blackpool 16.3%
4  Bury 15.9%
5  Rochdale 15.5%
6  Rotherham 15.4%
7  Oxford 13.8%
8  Northampton 13.6%
9  Scunthorpe 13.5%
10  AFC Wimbledon 13.0%
11  Peterborough 12.9%
12  Shrewsbury 11.5%
13  Bristol Rovers 10.7%
14  Wigan 10.4%
15  Plymouth 9.9%
16  Portsmouth 9.8%
17  Walsall 9.8%
18  Southend 9.2%
19  Gillingham 8.1%
20  Doncaster 7.9%
21  Charlton 7.2%
22  Bradford 6.0%
23  Fleetwood 6.0%
24  MK Dons 4.8%

I would much rather be bottom of this table and the 800 we average away be 4.8% of our home crowds, all this table shows me is that we have a real problem attracting fans to home games which in turns hampers any real chance of progress.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I would much rather be bottom of this table and the 800 we average away be 4.8% of our home crowds, all this table shows me is that we have a real problem attracting fans to home games which in turns hampers any real chance of progress.

Thanks Simon!

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

How to turn a positive into a negative 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Postponing games which should have been on won't help matters. A professional club run worse than amateurs is a disgrace.

Archived