New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

This for me. Basically 'oafc-lover' ignores that the post mentioned events and dinners and fashions an argument that suits a personal agenda. That's why I love this board!

It was a useful, albeit reprehensible, skill in the days before the internet but people just don't care nowadays do they? Even when it's right there for all and sundry to see with a slight scroll up..... Shameless. :lol:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Brooke definitely answered my tweet saying other income went to paying back debt. The Feb statement indicates it could go into the separate company. Whilst I get that ultimately the separate money will pay debt, and this is good it doesn't necessarily mean immediately, which would be the better if the two options. Quite how OEC pays the debt is something I'd be more comfortable knowing.

Anyway, next manager. I thought Dowie's (i'm a surveyor not a carpet salesman) appearance on Pointless might have given him a boost in the odds (think of the irony - from Pointless to Oldham manager), but it hasn't. Very settled now with Bunn firm favourite for a while closely followed by TP and the Shirtliff.

Bloody Hell. I've been on Pointless. Does this mean that I'm Latics' next manager? No? OK.

Seriously, though, whoever it is will get my backing. I'll cheer and yell if the're successful and I'll be pissed off and upset if not. I certainly wouldn't think of walking away from the club I've loved for so long just because I disagreed with the choice of manager.

It's as good as you are going to get.

Indeed. Say what you like but, in spite of the undoubted effort that goes into the Trust, it's insight is limited to what the club determines is appropriate and, as such, it's a fairly impotent entity. Corney pays lip service to it, nothing more. What can Simon Brooke say, when he only knows what he's told - the official line? He was obviously given a very vague answer in relation to the debt that hangs over the club, and no real explanation of its purpose. The club suggested it was short-term and would likely drop off very quickly but it's still there today, as far as I know.

The point I'm making is, whilst I can see why people are pissed off and want answers, expectations of the Trust to be able to provide all of these are unrealistic and they shouldn't be criticised when they can't provide them. They can only pass on the information the club volunteers.

Indeed. Say what you like but, in spite of the undoubted effort that goes into the Trust, it's insight is limited to what the club determines is appropriate and, as such, it's a fairly impotent entity. Corney pays lip service to it, nothing more. What can Simon Brooke say, when he only knows what he's told - the official line? He was obviously given a very vague answer in relation to the debt that hangs over the club, and no real explanation of its purpose. The club suggested it was short-term and would likely drop off very quickly but it's still there today, as far as I know.

The point I'm making is, whilst I can see why people are pissed off and want answers, expectations of the Trust to be able to provide all of these are unrealistic and they shouldn't be criticised when they can't provide them. They can only pass on the information the club volunteers.

Fair play. Good post.

Chron mentions John Coleman & Alan Curtis (along with Bunn/ Carss & Dowie)

There we go. Dowie in the running. He did really well on Pointless. How did you do Bristol?

That has to be a clincher. He looked quite well. I don't think he wants to be a 'surveyor' of floors anymore. I reckon he's desperate to get back.

Well, i'd welcome him back......

There we go. Dowie in the running. He did really well on Pointless. How did you do Bristol?

That has to be a clincher. He looked quite well. I don't think he wants to be a 'surveyor' of floors anymore. I reckon he's desperate to get back.

I was wondering why there had been no Dowie rumours this time.

He's linked every time the managers job becomes available, every time it comes to nowt because he's on a well paid cushy number with Sky and we can't even get close to his salary and playing budget expectations.

As well as his sales job does he still work for Sky in some capacity?

If not then all we have to worry about is the playing budget which is still crap......as much as I'd like a Dowie return it's just not going to happen is it?

I was wondering why there had been no Dowie rumours this time.

He's linked every time the managers job becomes available, every time it comes to nowt because he's on a well paid cushy number with Sky and we can't even get close to his salary and playing budget expectations.

As well as his sales job does he still work for Sky in some capacity?

If not then all we have to worry about is the playing budget which is still crap......as much as I'd like a Dowie return it's just not going to happen is it?

Not really a rumour, unless the chron are making it up...

"THE SEARCH for Athletic's new boss continues, with the drawing up of a short list that includes Iain Dowie.

Former boss Dowie (51) ­- who has been out of club management for six years ­- is an intriguing presence in a list that is also thought to include Huddersfield under-21s coach Frank Bunn, Accrington manager John Coleman and a fresh name in Swansea's experienced first-team coach Alan Curtis."

We got to the Head to Head twice, but were beaten both times. Great fun, though. Dowie did say on Pointless that he loves coaching and I thought he made it sound like a hint that he'd welcome an opportunity. Mind you, that would have been recorded a little while ago, possibly. Ours was a year from recording to going out, but I doubt the celebrity ones are held back that long.

Edited by Bristolatic

Corney in the UK tomorrow I'm hearing. Interesting to see how the odds change. Could be a big day, particularly if the anti-drugs brigade are there protesting to prevent Baxter signing... ;-)

Ha! I see what you did there!

And also says that Feeney is no longer considered to be a leading contender.

Was he ever? Surely that was just a few people that saw he was an ex player and bet rather than any one remotely familiar. Mind you stranger things have happnened.