New ticket prices!

A great gesture by the club to entice fans back

Robinson and his team need to do their part too - five wins, strikers score goals and perhaps when the price returns to £24 then fans will happily pay purely for the entertainment and atmosphere of a winning team maintaining momentum

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it doesn't pay off financially it is if nothingelse a goodwill gesture to the 1500-2000 pay on the day fans for this reason it is worth it.

If performances start picking up (stranger things have happened) then we could see an increase attendances we extend the offer and the club could start to get some forward momentum.

It's certainly a bold move and definitely worth a try on a trial basis. You have to congratulate Moisley on his decision to take immediate action upon his appointment as Cheif Exec. As people have pointed out, this probably should have been done quicker, but that would have been down to the prebious Cheif Exsc. Moisley can't be blamed for that.

He came in, got the survey done quickly and acted on the most important factor under his control - I'm assuming he doesnt have the authority to tell the manager to change his style of football.

i really hope it works but, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the attendance at the Scunthorpe game for the 2 for 1 offer makes me worry about how effective it will be.

I do think that, if it coincides with an upturn in form/excitement, it can be successful - Bradford have shown that with their cut price season ticket initiative. Here' s hoping the manager and players can deliver their part of the bargain.

Picking up on one point, as Chief Exec i terms of hiring nad firing I'd say he absolutely does have the authority to say get things sorted on the pitch or you are out.

I'm not saying pick the team, but he can certainly have the conversation. And if Robbo says he needs to grind out a result playing defensively I hope MM points out it's been a crap tactic so far.

Robbo was dealt a crap hand though, and despite all the doubts, it would be patently unfair for him to not have a window. Trouble is, as we all know, being fair could cost us our place in this League. It's a very tough choice.

Perhaps the ticket pricing is the one thing they have complete control over. The club has no control over what the team does on the pitch as that depends on the other team allowing entertaining winning football ( if this team actually could produce it in the first place!)

Perhaps the ticket pricing is the one thing they have complete control over. The club has no control over what the team does on the pitch as that depends on the other team allowing entertaining winning football ( if this team actually could produce it in the first place!)

I didnt know that we had to ask permission from the opposition these days!

I can’t blame the club for trying, but purely from a business perspective they are valiantly trying to dig themselves out of a hole that is deepening faster than they are digging. It’s exhausting, for everyone connected to the club.

We have been declining on the pitch for several years and on income pro rata. Mistakes, poor decisions and setbacks have rolled in on a regular basis and a new stand has been funded (somehow). All while, I for one, have slept soundly.

For me the rapid spiral to where we are now began when the club announced the ‘Four Wins’ season ticket deal. My and many others assumption was the club were in financial trouble, later to be confirmed by events. The spiral, for the club, spun into free fall when we won three of them. My guesstimate would be 1500 ST’s at an average of £100 a go. £150,000, cos to the club and the only place it could come from, bearing in mind the desperation that led to it, was the playing budget. The 1500 tickets sold would almost certainly have come from fans willing to support the club next season come hell or high water. Hell or high water was definitely favourite at the time. So no new money and not surprising after our home form over the last three years. What happed next was Roy of the Rovers as we made the Great Escape.

All the diehard fans were already on board at a substantial discount. It was now time to tempt the more discerning fans and cash in on the euphoria created by the great escape. Sheridan, Main, Palmer and Holloway were lauded as our saviours. There would have been more than a few poised, ready buy a ST with a modicum of good news revealed. What happened next put a powder keg under any sort of forward momentum and the fact is we were all seriously demoralised. I would be surprised if we sold more than 50 Season Tickets after the rumours about Sheridan leaving started.

All in all the decisions made between February and July were made to keep the club afloat. The season ticket deal was catastrophic but, I believe, necessary to settle the winding up order.

We all can only imagine how the money people at the club must have felt letting Sheridan and any player of monetary value leave. Unable or unwilling to fund the club forward Corney has once again cobbled something together to keep us going. It’s certainly not good enough for many fans and I can’t blame anyone for not wanting to pay £20 or £24 to watch what is being served up – even to keep us afloat. It is after all a business.

Further and again from a business perspective I can’t see why on earth anyone would want to get financially involved with a club like ours – apart from a wealthy fan.

Whoever it was would still need to be lucky. As someone with a business background I can't readily imagine a more booby trapped scenario for making a profit with 23 guaranteed open days a year.

Edited by mikeroyboy

Picking up on one point, as Chief Exec i terms of hiring nad firing I'd say he absolutely does have the authority to say get things sorted on the pitch or you are out.

I'm not saying pick the team, but he can certainly have the conversation. And if Robbo says he needs to grind out a result playing defensively I hope MM points out it's been a crap tactic so far.

Robbo was dealt a crap hand though, and despite all the doubts, it would be patently unfair for him to not have a window. Trouble is, as we all know, being fair could cost us our place in this League. It's a very tough choice.

I disagree. I reckon Corney makes all the decisions on hiring and firing managers. He's said himself in the past that he canvasses opinions from the board but ultimately he makes those decisions.

The only way Moisley could have that conversation with Robinson would be with Corney's prior approval. He may already have that of course.

It's a good move and shows that some notice has been paid to the survey they put out. Hopefully it's not just an exercise to prove it doesn't work.

The difficulty is, it's being offered when we're in a massive rut. We must have one of, if not the, worst home record in the whole football league over the past two years, so whilst the price change is a positive move, it may not be enough given that fans have every reason to expect us not to win or score a goal if they do turn up.

The danger of losing fans is that you'll never tempt them back regardless of such offers but I applaud the club for trying.

It's a good move and shows that some notice has been paid to the survey they put out. Hopefully it's not just an exercise to prove it doesn't work.

The difficulty is, it's being offered when we're in a massive rut. We must have one of, if not the, worst home record in the whole football league over the past two years, so whilst the price change is a positive move, it may not be enough given that fans have every reason to expect us not to win or score a goal if they do turn up.

The danger of losing fans is that you'll never tempt them back regardless of such offers but I applaud the club for trying.

They've dug themselves in a hole here.

If we continue to be :censored: then there'll be difficultly justifying a price increase. If we do well then we'll be asking how five games could possibly be enough time to bring back the lapsed.

Edited by NewBlue

Here's an idea. Why don't we offer Dale a figure they can't refuse to buy the services of Boris Johnston the Steward. Stick him in front of the Rocky. That, coupled with the reduced prices, will have fans packing out the RRE and generating a cracking atmosphere. I genuinely think that if people knew they could get pissed and sing Boris songs at every home game our attendances would increase, regardless of the poor football.

Here's an idea. Why don't we offer Dale a figure they can't refuse to buy the services of Boris Johnston the Steward. Stick him in front of the Rocky. That, coupled with the reduced prices, will have fans packing out the RRE and generating a cracking atmosphere. I genuinely think that if people knew they could get pissed and sing Boris songs at every home game our attendances would increase, regardless of the poor football.

Couldnt we just get the real Boris. He is quite obviously unfit for his current job

Guest nonaenever

Couldnt we just get the real Boris. He is quite obviously unfit for his current job

Brilliant idea actually! Get the real Boris signed up - as a centre forward - he'll not score any fewer goals than our supposed professional strikers BUT with the added benefit that all the Tory voters from Saddleworth will flock to BP in their "Chelsea tractors" to see their hero. They've got pots of money up there in the hills - so the income would be incredible.

This will be successful if more attend and the club just breaks even on ticket sales but sad to say if the team can't give a Scunthorpe home performance it will probably confirm the view of those who come back for a look that they should stay away. With only three home fixtures in the league during the next two months I can't see that this reduction will do the trick. How many will come on Saturday in the FA Cup against Doncaster?

If people want permanent low prices, they need to back and promote this campaign. Even if they're not happy with things at the moment, it's better in the long run.

The club have asked for input, people have responded. If there's no increase on the gate to make this close to worthwhile then the club won't carry it on and we'll be stuck with higher prices. Spread the word - make this work.

I'm not moaning, I pay in and still sit through it but hundreds of stayaways won't be swayed by a fiver discount, I'd pay £30 a game if we were competitive, money wouldn't be an issue and I suspect plenty of those who don't go can afford it they just don't like watching what's served up

Have Oldham Athletic ever been perfect?

I was fairly satisfied when we beat Southport 11-0, but wasn't happy about the ref disallowing Bobby Johnstone's great 30 yard strike for offside.

Edited by BP1960

A sensible move from the club, and a glimmer that fans' views may be taken into consideration more going forward.

Two 'issues' for me:

1. Season ticket holders get the raw deal - again.

2. Didn't many stop going when the gate prices went up to £20?

Edited by pinevillawill