Doncaster

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

....and another thing, Nepo was dropped for no obvious reason and when he finally gets a chance again he’s played out of position in a must win home game

He played very well too.

1 hour ago, Dick_Valentine said:

What was the argy bargy about with the Donny youth in the corner? 

They ran into the cordoned off section to better goad our fans, who then responded by running to the fence. Handbags really, until some fuckwit threw a flare at their fans.

Went off outside too - fighting on claytons and in the middle of broadway - police horses and TAU vans had to separate them. Donny fan coach had window smashed.

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

Inspired team selection, inspired substitutions, glorious draw!  In our own hands. Always thought it would go to the

death and Rochdale have it all to do against a Charlton that will need a win. Smiling at my stein!

When you say 'always' how far back are we talking? With a quarter of this season left I thought we were in no trouble at all. That we might even scrape into the top half for the first time in God knows how long. But we've been shit ever since and, as someone else put it, sleepwalked our way into the relegation scrap. We're very fortunate this is in our own hands going into the last game but we may very well need to win and we haven't done that for a while...

Enjoyed the game, an overall good team performance.  There was evidence of desire, even to the point of leaving Gardner writhing in agony rather that give up on the impetous of possession.

I thought Hunt and Nepo did well as did the two youngsters in the middle, Johnny had nothing to do except fo two important catches, Gardner did well as the only ball winner and even Pringle looked lively.  Doyle ran around a lot and put in a shift (not the best way to use him).  The Duck frustrates me, it's head down and run into players, ok and dangerous in the box, but keep him out of the box and defenders can guarantee he will beat himself.  Benyu looked lost, not a ball winner and very light weight, evidence of good feet though.  I thought he looked better second half after the changes.

Which brings me to Byrne.  First 30 minutes absolutely bossed it and was probably the best player on the pitch, but Doncaster cottened on and simply surrounded him.  Something needed to be done, so I can follow RW's logic.  Quite brave really to sub your best player.  Perhaps having him on the bench and bringing him on later in a game allows him to create an impact and leaves no time for the opposition to adapt?

Just hope we can beat Northampton now.

Edited by frizzell54

42 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

But Gardner hasn't scored all season either.

He scored v Peterborough, also this is what he can do if played in an attacking role instead of the holding position RW plays him in..

We now see the value of the two points lost against Gillingham by the punch of Moimbe.  Edmundson was our best player.  Byrne has lots of skill but no discipline.  Strange that Wellens went defensive before Oxford scored their second - strange is what he does and strange is what he has become.  If Benyu is a CM why was he played wide previously and then dropped?

Doncaster didn't want to lose so a draw was always on the cards.  Northampton will probably have the same mindset next week so a draw is the most likely result.  Although this is in our own hands I fancy Charlton are the key.  In my dreams I see Fane scoring the winner next week to keep us up.

2 hours ago, Hands on said:

Doncaster didn't want to lose so a draw was always on the cards.  Northampton will probably have the same mindset next week so a draw is the most likely result.  Although this is in our own hands I fancy Charlton are the key.  In my dreams I see Fane scoring the winner next week to keep us up.

In my dreams I see Placide, having come up for a last minute corner, keeping us up by scoring the winning goal following a Cryuff turn!

I'll confess yesterday was my first home game in a while, the endless roadworks on the M6 and our poor performances combined to make a trip from Worcestershire even more challenging than usual (ok, I know some on here travel further!).

So after a 2 hour 40 min trip (I'm sure most of the M6/M60 is a 50mph limit at the moment - counted at least seven sets of roadworks before I gave up) I staggered round to the Jimmy Frizzell stand in dire need of a pint, especially in the decent warm weather. Lees extra smooth (it was never any good, and being from Middleton I should know) - no longer available on draught. Guinness - all gone. Carlsberg (I know, but I was desperate) - all gone. I picked myself off the floor and asked what was available by the pint. Answer - Strongbow. Praying that this wasn't some kind of omen for the match, I settled for that. £3.80 of flat, warm, apple juice with perhaps just a hint of alcohol. If you could bring yourself to down 20 pints of the stuff, you might start to feel a bit tipsy (or ill). I was highly amused when the nice lady in the seat next to me complained that she had to queue to get in the RRE and wanted to know where all these fans had been for most of the season!

To the match then. First half we were unbelievably (to me) bad. Shockingly poor. Even the basics - trap/control a ball, pass to a team mate, preferably along the ground rather than via the stratosphere - were missing. I couldn't work out what Benyu was supposed to be doing and wondered if he was some kind of pitch invader, sent on to confuse Doncaster. If you're going to play in bright yellow boots with your socks down, you need to be good. He isn't (though a few nice touches in second half, to be fair). We improved second half and you couldn't fault the players' effort, but we never really looked like scoring. The substitutions were mystifying. Pringle worked his socks off, Bryan was our only creative player, so why they came off and Benyu stayed on I've no idea. I'm all for continuity but I now think after yesterday we need to replace RW with an experienced manager. 

The silver linings were Edmundson and Hamer. For such young and inexperienced defenders I thought they were outstanding. It's been a few years since Tarky played for us, but I can't remember him playing better in a Latics shirt than Edmundson did yesterday.

Got everything crossed for next Saturday. Terrifying! 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't think we'll be seeing Fane again... 

48 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Is the correct answer.

Strange choice of words from Wellens post match:

“We had to play him (Benyu) because Fane is not available,” he said. “In terms of central midfield players, he was the only one available at the club”

If Fane was injured then Wellens would have used words indicating as much. ?

Edited by TheBigDog

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Strange choice of words from Wellens post match:

“We had to play him (Benyu) because Fane is not available,” he said. “In terms of central midfield players, he was the only one available at the club”

If Fane was injured then Wellens would have used words indicating as much. ?

What's happened to Omrani and Maouche...?