• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Ollie Banks: 3 goals in 51 matches

Ben Garrity: 4 goals in 39 matches

Mo Sylla: 1 goal in 51 matches

Callum Whelan: 0 goals in 66 matches

Hardly a massive difference, all got a worse scoring record than Pidge, McCalmont or Keillor-Dunn.

Doesn't make up for the fact that Garrity couldn't control a ball and Banks didn't put a tackle in the whole time he was here.  

At the moment, I think we need a Sylla style enforcer more than another attacking midfielder.  Not bothered if it is actually Sylla, though.

Am not saying Banks & Garrity are decent. Just said why are the likes of Sylla and Whelan rated and those two derided. You’ve listed their Oldham stats, but Banks has 20 + goals in L1 & L2 in his career (not great at all). His 3 goals for us were in L1 and when he dropped into L2 he did well and improved his scoring rate, yet if he was announced as coming back there’d be howls of derision. But we’ll accept Sylla happily enough?

Whelan hasn’t come close to scoring once as far as I can remember. Garrity was very average and poor technically but offered a good goal threat which has been developed at Pott Vale. 2 of Garrity’s 4 goals last season came in narrow L2 wins. 4 extra points? Points that help us not get relegated.

Sylla offers us the averageness and poor technique without hardly any goal threat - yet it seems some would be pleased to have him back?

At this level you have to accept a certain standard of player and their limitations - but finding ones that can score and create the odd goal are essential to getting enough points to avoid danger.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

No missilou played alongside Lyden.

I thought sylla was pretty poor tbh hence why he's where he is.

I’ve watched Mo Sylla a few times recently down here at my local club Aldershot (including today thanks to Crawley postponement) tbh, he has been the best player on the pitch in each game, breaks up play and runs forward at every opportunity…if we do go down to the NL we could be facing him and frankly, he looks better than any of our midfielders. I think there is very little difference between the NL and League 2..as Harrogate, Sutton and others have shown recently 

6 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I’ve watched Mo Sylla a few times recently down here at my local club Aldershot (including today thanks to Crawley postponement) tbh, he has been the best player on the pitch in each game, breaks up play and runs forward at every opportunity…if we do go down to the NL we could be facing him and frankly, he looks better than any of our midfielders. I think there is very little difference between the NL and League 2..as Harrogate, Sutton and others have shown recently 

When you say runs forward were they like the runs that him Fane made when they played I.e. straight down blind alleys.

Its a merely a reflection of where he's at and we are at that we would even consider taking him back.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

When you say runs forward were they like the runs that him Fane made when they played I.e. straight down blind alleys.

Its a merely a reflection of where he's at and we are at that we would even consider taking him back.

Miles better than Cisse from what we've seen so far - Fane did a good job as a ball winner in league one but needed to give it to Byrne etc. Sylla could play a bit as well as win the ball and easily walks into our current midfield.

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Got to wonder why Missilou has failed where he has been since he left us

I do think he settled here surrounded by French people and living with French players. Northampton and Newport are in the midst of mass of fields and nothing else. So it would be harder to settle. He would hit the ground running here

13 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Always preferred Sylla to Fane. 

People seem to have a strangely high opinion of Fane, which amazes me. He got in the way of the opposition (not tackled) and could pass the ball 2 yards. That was it.  He couldn't pass any further that 2 yards, when he did try and tackle he usually got booked and as for creativity? Forget it. 

Waste of a wage, but I have faith in our Sporting Director's ability to know what the team needs. 

Lolz. 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Got to wonder why Missilou has failed where he has been since he left us

Seen him a couple of times since leaving us, and he looked like he's lost a lot of pace.  Don't know if he was carrying a knock or something, but it made him a lot less effective.

6 hours ago, mick26 said:

Miles better than Cisse from what we've seen so far - Fane did a good job as a ball winner in league one but needed to give it to Byrne etc. Sylla could play a bit as well as win the ball and easily walks into our current midfield.

People on here said Cisse was a good aquisition when we signed him!

16 hours ago, archiecat said:

Aye, try to get them to admit it now :D

l'll admit it. Looked good against us, prev club fans wanted to keep him and looked ok in pre season when wasnt injured.

He's an action based CDM so we have honestly played him injured as a no10.

A fit Cisse in a 3 w Whelan n Bowden would be more than enuf.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wroteforluck87 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Green_(footballer)

Hearing rumours that he'll be signing..

Remember him at Mansfield. He was sought after. But that was 2 knees ago. Would rather stick with hope than go for a 35 Yr old striker who can't run or jump and has been shocking for years. French 3rd division is equal/better quality than linfield! And he's not even pulled up trees there 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Remember him at Mansfield. He was sought after. But that was 2 knees ago. Would rather stick with hope than go for a 35 Yr old striker who can't run or jump and has been shocking for years. French 3rd division is equal/better quality than linfield! And he's not even pulled up trees there 

*plants

Archived