Transfer Rumours

5 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

To be fair he was stuck up there chasing 4 defenders and the keeper with little help. Id give up if I was him. Pointless task he had. Under kewell he had attacking tactics to go off which means more motivation, more help and more chances. Then you run harder and quicker. He only had 1 or 2 half chances from outside the box last night and both he got a shot away on target. He's sharp. Just not being helped by this manager

I think we need more than a couple of long-distance shots a match from our striker, when the other striker is Hope. 

I'd drop Hope before Dearnley though.

Would be nice to have one forward who can make speculative runs behind, or take a chance off the last defender when a cross comes in.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think we need more than a couple of long-distance shots a match from our striker, when the other striker is Hope. 

I'd drop Hope before Dearnley though.

Would be nice to have one forward who can make speculative runs behind, or take a chance off the last defender when a cross comes in.

Yes but when did he have chance? The ball was very very rarely near their box first half nevermind in the box. He'd had nothin to go off

5 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Yes but when did he have chance? The ball was very very rarely near their box first half nevermind in the box. He'd had nothin to go off

He wouldn't be able to even if he had the chance.  He can't run. 

It's a massive shame, I was a huge fan when he came through.  But he's a stop gap at best unless he can get his fitness back.

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

He wouldn't be able to even if he had the chance.  He can't run. 

It's a massive shame, I was a huge fan when he came through.  But he's a stop gap at best unless he can get his fitness back.

He's one of the more intelligent players we have though so shouldn't need speed. Curle played for his defenders. Dearnley needs a manager playin for his strikers. Hence why he did well wen fit under kewell. And why mcaleny had his best season with us. Even bahamboula isn't doing well because they aren't playing to the attackers game

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Who can we get that’s out there, meets the requirements for that big striker AND will sign for £800 a week….🤔

It’s got to be a loanee hasn’t it? *

* With due acknowledgement to Dave_og and his squad size - embargo reminders.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Mansfield rumoured to be back in for Pidge in January😬

At the end of the day he's a decent League Two centre back and no more.  Very good in the air, pretty poor on the ground and by many accounts a good influence in the dressing room.

The question is: will we miss him if he goes?  The answer is yes, absolutely.  Although it's more of a damning indictment of the state the club is in rather than him being exceptional.

22 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

At the end of the day he's a decent League Two centre back and no more.  Very good in the air, pretty poor on the ground and by many accounts a good influence in the dressing room.

The question is: will we miss him if he goes?  The answer is yes, absolutely.  Although it's more of a damning indictment of the state the club is in rather than him being exceptional.

Correct, Pidge has been remarkably consistent and resilient throughout this grim period.

Not credited by some, in spite of doing the basic things well, count on one hand the occasions where he missed a header.

If we accept Keith Curle's account, the deal with Mansfield was done, then blocked in the end as he was seen to be an essential part of the side, which is still true.

Perhaps there is some evidence of making room in the squad to enable a new half season loan signing (needs to be a capable striker if to be judged as positive).

I seriously doubt the club has the opportunity to overhaul the squad, to compensate for losing Pidge and simultaneously addressing the glaring obvious weakness we all see.

My view is repayment of EFL loan is the critical action, or our destiny is determined by others, the hope of two worse sides.

If selling players can be the catalyst, maybe this is credible, but the club has contrived to limit or remove the opportunity, through the suffocation of EFL loan conditions.

Archived