Port Vale (h)

2 hours ago, losesome said:

Carlisle results sum our current run up, in the last 4 games they have lost to probably the 3 worst sides in the league in Morecambe, Grimsby  & Macc but in between managed to completely outplay us!!!!

When we play at home we only need 1 holding mid not 2 so either drop Gardner or Lyden.

Also don't understand Mr negatives use of Lang, he scored 10 goals in a struggling Morecambe side last season playing upfront, yet when our main striker is missing we play him wide.

Last chance saloon on Tue bunnyboy, same old shite & I will be over to the director's box  (if anybody's in it) leading the chorus of Bunn out.

Suffered 25 years of absolute boring shite yet nobody appears wise enough to think,  hey this negative shite isn't working. 

Do we have any directors to shout at?

Edited by al_bro
missed something

2 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Spot on, AL is an absolute disgrace, no CEO, who actually runs the club in his absence? Fair enough he doesn’t seem to do much when he’s here, but I looked over at the directors box yesterday and it was sparse.

Corney ripped the infrastructure to pieces to save money, AL is now demolishing the club thoroughly, he’s no idea and we are teetering towards the abyss and it breaks my heart

When this season started I was really surprised at quite how poor the standard was in this division. After the first few games I consoled myself with the thought that although the football was crap, at least we should have a season at the top end of the table, that could end, at long last, in a promotion. This was based mainly on how poor the league is than thinking we were any good.

Now, over a third of the way through the season, we are 15th in the fourth division, and worse, playing like a side that is 15th in the fourth division. We've got rid of all the 'trouble causers' and replaced them with carthorses, who might not give the owner and manager any problems but don't give the opposition any either. We're an awful team in an awful division. Off the field, everything seems even more chaotic than under the previous owner, and any hope I had that we might turn the corner has all but disappeared.

There's still plenty of time to turn this season round, but can anyone really see it happening?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

Yesterday we had no appointed Director in the Directors' box,what must the PortVale Directors have thought ? We appeared to have Barry Owen and ALs brother. At half time ALs brother stood looking out of the window presumably Barry was trying to massage his ego with th PV Directors. If I was new to English football I would take every opportunity to engage with football people to learn how football works in this country. John Rudge a stalwart of football was there and must have gone away bemused at how this once great family club had descended into the mire. Rest assured it is not just HMRC that  is on the club's case,the EFL and PFA who are monitoring the situation very closely.

We just can't start a striker on his own up front who has scored 8 goals in his last 126 appearances when we are playing at HOME against a team who have been tonked in recent weeks and were there for the taking.... Really is as simple as that. I know some people think COG brings more to the team than goals, but he just isn't mobile and there has to be better options even at semi pro level in the area, 8 goals in 126 games, Jesus fucking Christ. Very very frustrating. There's absolutely no point playing o'grady unless you're gonna stick him alongside someone like Surridge.

I feel so sorry for all of you that were there; it was bad enough listening to it on iFollow. The place sounded like a morgue when it should have been bouncing. But, for it to bounce, there has to be something on the pitch to create that. There obviously wasn't.

We all know we haven't got the greatest squad in the world but, by Christ, it's surely good enough to be challenging nearer the top of the table. But it won't unless we start going at teams. I thought we were going 4-4-2 with Lang and O'Grady up top, not O'Grady on his own. Just doesn't make sense.

Clarke has a brain fart and that's enough for a bruised and battered Port Vale side to take 3 points? What does that say about our performance? Something has to change, and quick, or we will be scrapping to stay up. I'm not sure a change of manager is the answer, but Frankie needs to grow a pair and get this team going for the opposition's throat.

I'll be at Stevenage in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to see something to cheer me up, football wise, but I'm genuinely concerned that this current trend is going to continue. 

On the bright side, because I've not managed a home game yet, I've not seen us lose this season.

53 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I feel so sorry for all of you that were there; it was bad enough listening to it on iFollow. The place sounded like a morgue when it should have been bouncing. But, for it to bounce, there has to be something on the pitch to create that. There obviously wasn't.

A few moments in the first half (early Lang chance, the Lang penalty shout, Gardner’s sublime volley unfortunately straight at the keeper) and a short period at the start of the second half and then the usual mad scramble towards the end was what we got.

There is a hesitancy and a lack of technique about our play in the final third. I lost count of the number of times we slowed play down, turned back inside when an early cross or shot was needed. 

Let’s hope Frankie can get the team playing at a higher tempo or Tuesday could be more of the same. 

Edited by TheBigDog

12 hours ago, Andy-latic said:

We just can't start a striker on his own up front who has scored 8 goals in his last 126 appearances when we are playing at HOME against a team who have been tonked in recent weeks and were there for the taking.... Really is as simple as that. I know some people think COG brings more to the team than goals, but he just isn't mobile and there has to be better options even at semi pro level in the area, 8 goals in 126 games, Jesus fucking Christ. Very very frustrating. There's absolutely no point playing o'grady unless you're gonna stick him alongside someone like Surridge.

Thats a frightening stat... I bet Peter Clarke has more goals and a better goals to game ratio  than Cog we need someone else up top in Jan

You could see in the first 10 minutes that PV were nervous and tentative.We stood off them,let them pass it around a bit and then they thought hey we can win this.Exactly the same thing happened against Carlisle.Lets hope we can get in Cheltenham's faces early on and get them on the back foot.

2 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

Thats a frightening stat... I bet Peter Clarke has more goals and a better goals to game ratio  than Cog we need someone else up top in Jan

It's obvious why he returns so few goals and that's cos he's shite, Chesterfield couldn't wait to get rid after he took them down and that was despite Kristian Dennis bagging over twenty for them, you just can't carry players at this level and his lack of pace and awareness kills us going forward, sooner he's fucked off the better because he makes it so easy for opposition defences who quickly don't worry about the zero goal threat he possess and then commit more men further up the park.

As for stats Dan Gardner is going for his third straight relegation which is some effort for a lad touted as Championship quality.

In reality the game should have petered out to 0-0 as neither team deserved to win. The referee seemed not to understand the basics. Other than the RR crew the crouwd were basically silent. Pope and Vassell are dirty horrible slime (which I would have in our side in a heartbeat). We fell in to a sidways trap and when the movement forward was good enough the ball in was not. Heads went down when we didnt fluke an own goal.

31 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

I'm beginning to think we should go all Ian Marshall with Clarke to try and get a goal whilst Surridge is out.

15 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm beginning to think we should go all Ian Marshall with Clarke to try and get a goal whilst Surridge is out.

The one who could cause problems up front is Hamer. He has the pace, power and good in the air  Amazed he's never been tried there late in a game.

41 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The one who could cause problems up front is Hamer. He has the pace, power and good in the air  Amazed he's never been tried there late in a game.

I'm amazed he's hardly been tried at all never mind upfront, was probably the best player pre season but hardly gets a look in.

1 hour ago, bluehobbit said:

Similar to my long standing gripe with defensive midfielders in League One and now League Two you can't have a player in such an important position not contributing to, or creating goals anywhere near regularly enough. 

Add that to Lyden, Missilou or Fane creating nothing in midfield but instead "breaking up play" of League Two donkeys who aren't creating anything to break up anyway and we're essentially playing with 9 men. 

It's not such a problem if there's genuine quality alongside them, eg the games when Surridge isn't broken or whenever it was that we last had a quality complete/creative midfielder, but there usually isn't.