Official COVID-19 megathread

11 hours ago, tGWB said:

As far as I am aware, everyone has been offered vaccinations 

With Freedom comes Choice 

With Choice comes Consequence 

They are interchangeable.

I am fully microchipped, i did "the right thing" so I am "safe".

I am so safe that as of 1am this morning, i now need to wear a mask when I go anywhere in QLD. 

Confused? You will be...

Social disorder is growing here.

Three weeks ago, someone on the news had his ute trashed for displaying a sticker indicating that he had recieved a covid 19 vaccination. His canopy was spray painted with the words "Covid Sheep".

Yesterday, on the day of the mandate that only fully vaxxed people are allowed into pubs and clubs, a woman was assaulted by patrons because she could not show her vaccination certificate on her phone app. She is fully vaxxed.

Its like a Discrimination and Segregation (Medical Apartheid, if you like) switch was flicked and immediately took effect.

Your last statement is correct.

The choices of elected officials, civil servants by definition, have grave consequences for the very people that elected them; whichever side of the fence they stand.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all have our "freedoms" restricted all the time. Whether it's for public safety, public health or public decency. There are laws preventing individuals exercising their personal freedoms all the time because of society.

People don't tend to complain about not being allowed to walk down the high street stark bollock naked, because most people aren't bothered.  Nudists probably think there'd be nothing wrong with it. But at least they can still walk down the street, they just have to put clothes on.

Smokers can still go to pubs, they just have to smoke outside.

I could complain about having my freedom of movement in the EU restricted, but brexit voters would probably argue that I could still go to Spain if I wanted to.

To ask people to be able to show confirmation of vaccination, or a negative test when going into public places doesn't seem like that much of an imposition when it comes to trying to slow the spread of an airborne virus that has killed millions.  For me, this is more comparable with existing laws, not the start of a slippery slope to concentration camps.

Legislating for mandatory voter ID on the other hand...

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We all have our "freedoms" restricted all the time. Whether it's for public safety, public health or public decency. There are laws preventing individuals exercising their personal freedoms all the time because of society.

People don't tend to complain about not being allowed to walk down the high street stark bollock naked, because most people aren't bothered.  Nudists probably think there'd be nothing wrong with it. But at least they can still walk down the street, they just have to put clothes on.

Smokers can still go to pubs, they just have to smoke outside.

I could complain about having my freedom of movement in the EU restricted, but brexit voters would probably argue that I could still go to Spain if I wanted to.

To ask people to be able to show confirmation of vaccination, or a negative test when going into public places doesn't seem like that much of an imposition when it comes to trying to slow the spread of an airborne virus that has killed millions.  For me, this is more comparable with existing laws, not the start of a slippery slope to concentration camps.

Legislating for mandatory voter ID on the other hand...

Yeah but Hitler came up with rules that means all rules are bad so we mustn't have rules.

Don't laugh people actually think like this mainly in (Expressland). Usually the type who like to shoehorn world war 2 into absolutely every argument.

9 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

They are interchangeable.

I am fully microchipped, i did "the right thing" so I am "safe".

I am so safe that as of 1am this morning, i now need to wear a mask when I go anywhere in QLD. 

Confused? You will be...

Social disorder is growing here.

Three weeks ago, someone on the news had his ute trashed for displaying a sticker indicating that he had recieved a covid 19 vaccination. His canopy was spray painted with the words "Covid Sheep".

Yesterday, on the day of the mandate that only fully vaxxed people are allowed into pubs and clubs, a woman was assaulted by patrons because she could not show her vaccination certificate on her phone app. She is fully vaxxed.

Its like a Discrimination and Segregation (Medical Apartheid, if you like) switch was flicked and immediately took effect.

Your last statement is correct.

The choices of elected officials, civil servants by definition, have grave consequences for the very people that elected them; whichever side of the fence they stand.

Fox News Effect. The media have played a huge part in setting people against one another.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fox News Effect. The media have played a huge part in setting people against one another.

I think social media has amplified this too particularly when you get Facebook groups that act as echo Chambers particularly those of political persuasions with people sharing articles just reinforcing peoples beliefs.

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yeah but Hitler came up with rules that means all rules are bad so we mustn't have rules.

Don't laugh people actually think like this mainly in (Expressland). Usually the type who like to shoehorn world war 2 into absolutely every argument.

Countries like Australia already force people into quarantine camps that they're not allowed to leave. Essentially prisoners. Yet people are ok with that and think things are not on a slippery slope

31 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Countries like Australia already force people into quarantine camps that they're not allowed to leave. Essentially prisoners. Yet people are ok with that and think things are not on a slippery slope

Is that quarantine for people coming into the country? They've always been strict on their borders. Try taking certain fairly normal food through, it's a minefield.

I'll say it again, there is very little complaint from the general public regarding the tories policing bill or mandatory voter id. These should be genuine concerns for all of us. But slightly inconvenience a trip to a pub or restaurant and people take to the streets.  It all feels a bit like fetishising world war 2.

Covidiots are just Covidiots.

Genuinely heard people doubting it even real.

Try n have a little chat w them point out that no country has broken ranks, which means ancient enemies like India n Pakistan, current rivals like USA, China, Russia, 'rogue states' like North Korea and countries which are literally at war w each other like Russia n Ukraine must all be co-operating in this global conspiracy. Ocassionally, they try n process it but l can see their lack of global awareness and basic thickery leaves them floundering. So they press reset and repeat the ridiculous claims!!

Don't get me wrong, lm a conspiracy nut. Aliens are here and have been for centuries, sept 11th was dodgy AF, the yanks shot down flight 93, US secret services killed JFK and high powered nonces silenced Epstein.

To some those claims are absolute ridiculous, tin hat craziness yet l still piff in thr general direction of Covidiots.

For me it shows that there are lots of people out there who know shit is wrong but bc it doesnt affect them they don't care and as soon as they need to wear a mask in a shop for ten mins they go mental. Its utter selfishness and completely epitomatic of todays western society.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

My fave one is humans preaching about how they aren't putting ANYTHING in THEIR body if they don't know what it is and can't be safe bc it hasnt been tested. Then they nip to the bog and sniff some untested white powder out of a little plastic bag.

I don't even know what's in the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices but my god it tastes good

On 12/17/2021 at 9:41 AM, Matt said:

Good question, and there's a genuine answer. What's the likelihood that will happen? We can discuss certain curtailments until things get better (let's call this point A) without heading full pelt towards - as you put it - concentration camps (let's call this point Z).

What is the likelihood that we will move from point A to point Z though all of the points in between?

We can work that out - even if all the points in between (B to Y) are 99% certain to happen it's around 78% probability. Hardly a certainty. (0.99 to the power of 25 I think).

If moving from point A through to point Z is 90% (still very certain)? - drops to 7% certainty - so the drawing of the line should be somewhere around A, and not Z.

Unfortunately the process you describe is not a number of independent random events.  Therefore your calculations are invalid.

10 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Double jabbed in my team 40%
Double Jabbed in the prem 68%
Double jabbed in the efl 75% 

Double jabbed in the UK 86%
Double jabbed un Serie A 98%
Double jabbed at Liverpool FC '99%'

Vaccination rates for the 18-29 age groups are still under 75%, so professional footballers are really no different from the rest of their age groups (at the present time at least).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

If anyone's interested...

As of Friday morning (17th) at Royal Oldham:

9 Covid patients in ICU (this figure been pretty consistent for the last few months)

31 Covid+ patients in non-ICU beds (at its peak was between 250-350 iirc)

Current total of 40 - last couple of months it's been as low as 20 and as high as 70.

To be honest, and I'm not medically trained, but I was expecting the number to be quite a bit higher at this point with the numbers increasing as much as they have done recently, so the vaccines are definitely keeping people out of hospital. Although we have been briefed that it COULD get very bad very quickly over the next few weeks.

1 minute ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

If anyone's interested...

As of Friday morning (17th) at Royal Oldham:

9 Covid patients in ICU (this figure been pretty consistent for the last few months)

31 Covid+ patients in non-ICU beds (at its peak was between 250-350 iirc)

Current total of 40 - last couple of months it's been as low as 20 and as high as 70.

To be honest, and I'm not medically trained, but I was expecting the number to be quite a bit higher at this point with the numbers increasing as much as they have done recently, so the vaccines are definitely keeping people out of hospital. Although we have been briefed that it COULD get very bad very quickly over the next few weeks.

There's quite a lag between infection and hospitalisation and then ICU. The huge numbers of new infections will, sadly, work their way through the system. 

44 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Unfortunately the process you describe is not a number of independent random events.  Therefore your calculations are invalid.

It's probability, liklihood - there are clues in there. So, there's that.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Covidiots are just Covidiots.

Genuinely heard people doubting it even real.

Try n have a little chat w them point out that no country has broken ranks, which means ancient enemies like India n Pakistan, current rivals like USA, China, Russia, 'rogue states' like North Korea and countries which are literally at war w each other like Russia n Ukraine must all be co-operating in this global conspiracy. Ocassionally, they try n process it but l can see their lack of global awareness and basic thickery leaves them floundering. So they press reset and repeat the ridiculous claims!!

Don't get me wrong, lm a conspiracy nut. Aliens are here and have been for centuries, sept 11th was dodgy AF, the yanks shot down flight 93, US secret services killed JFK and high powered nonces silenced Epstein.

To some those claims are absolute ridiculous, tin hat craziness yet l still piff in thr general direction of Covidiots.

For me it shows that there are lots of people out there who know shit is wrong but bc it doesnt affect them they don't care and as soon as they need to wear a mask in a shop for ten mins they go mental. Its utter selfishness and completely epitomatic of todays western society.

I can't be bothered fact-checking "conspiracy theorists" and similar types, I've thought about it sometimes but treating nonsense as if it merits serious debate is almost certainly counterproductive. 

Personally I think, as a rule of thumb, people are notoriously bad at keeping secrets - it's a huge struggle. The more people involved in the so-called conspiracy the closer towards absolute impossibility it gets. There's an old saying, three can keep a secret if two are dead - I think this is especially true of whatever flavour of conspiracy we want to attribute it to.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I can't be bothered fact-checking "conspiracy theorists" and similar types, I've thought about it sometimes but treating nonsense as if it merits serious debate is almost certainly counterproductive. 

Personally I think, as a rule of thumb, people are notoriously bad at keeping secrets - it's a huge struggle. The more people involved in the so-called conspiracy the closer towards absolute impossibility it gets. There's an old saying, three can keep a secret if two are dead - I think this is especially true of whatever flavour of conspiracy we want to attribute it to.

Exactly.

Its ridiculous.

Aliens isnt a secret anymore its all but been disclosed aka soft disclosure.

Flight 93 they shuda just said 'look it was a hijack situation they took out the towers we had to do it.' and we could pretend that bit where they announce the building collapse before it happened and the fact that all that survived out of two planes, two towers, a few hundred passengers, all the suitcases all the cargo we could just have pretended that the only surviving evidence was the hijackers passports which landed open on the ID pages next to some rubble. We could have pretended that was ok if they just treat us like brains.

Anyway, yeah, Covid isnt real bc Kim Jong Un sai.. oh wait. He didnt.

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

My fave one is humans preaching about how they aren't putting ANYTHING in THEIR body if they don't know what it is and can't be safe bc it hasnt been tested. Then they nip to the bog and sniff some untested white powder out of a little plastic bag.

Thats a really good point 

However, let’s not lose sight of the fact that this/these vaccines are still very much in the trial phase and will be til 2023. This perpetual emergency we are in is what allows them to be distributed through the population. There no data in what the long term outcomes will be, because that only comes with time. 

On 12/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, C.O.JONES said:

For those who refuse to be inoculated for whatever reason, fine that is their choice, I can only hope that they don't catch Covid but if they do, I hope that they would be consistent enough to also refuse treatment. 

Let’s refuse to treat fat people then ,

smokers,

drug users, 

people who don’t have the flu jab too

selfish sods the lot of em!!!

Archived