Playing squad, summer 2020

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Lags said:

It would seem most are under whelmed with the standard of player signed or to be signed. Complain the owner doesn't appear to want to put too much money in and the reported budget is substandard. Yet are openly happy to tell the rest of the fans they ain't going till the owner leaves. You can't have it all ways round.

By all means vote with your feet, if that's your choice, but don't moan the club can't afford what you want.

Before the keyboards start clattering, I ain't saying the owner didn't need to buck up, nor Barry got everything right or it's all these pesky fans fault. The truth is somewhere in the middle of all that. For me the real rot started the day the 3A carved up the good for themselves and left us with the bad. Corney just drove in the final nails.

We are where we are now, and if we the fans don't at least try to back the club, then lets not moan and point the finger when it dies.

Personally, I don’t think the club would die if AL left. I’m fairly confident there would be interest from prospective buyers,  I actually think him leaving and a competent new owner coming in would provide a massive boost which is something this football club desperately needs!

We are in our 125th anniversary year and despite the Covid pandemic there was a huge opportunity for him to finally bring the fans together and make a statement of intent. Instead he has said absolutely nothing and we haven’t a clue as to what the plans are for the new season ahead.

AL is not going to turn this around and for me his bridges have been well and truly burnt. I 100% don’t want him to get hold of the ground because that would be putting our club into massive debt to unknown investors who would almost certainly have no allegiance to the club whatsoever.

We have the wrong guy pulling the strings here and rightly or wrongly I fully understand the reasoning and the frustrations of fans who are not prepared to back him any longer!!

***********ABDALLAH OUT***********

On 7/23/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dave_Og said:

Perhaps the budgets in the NL next season will be commensurately smaller

I still suspect that it will be higher than the likes of Macc and Morecambe, but there are at least 8 NL clubs with a higher budget than that, including one who have just been relegated to the Conference North...

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I still suspect that it will be higher than the likes of Macc and Morecambe, but there are at least 8 NL clubs with a higher budget than that, including one who have just been relegated to the Conference North...

I was told that before Zak Mills came here the max paid at Morecambe was £800 a week!

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Personally, I don’t think the club would die if AL left. I’m fairly confident there would be interest from prospective buyers,  I actually think him leaving and a competent new owner coming in would provide a massive boost which is something this football club desperately needs!

We are in our 125th anniversary year and despite the Covid pandemic there was a huge opportunity for him to finally bring the fans together and make a statement of intent. Instead he has said absolutely nothing and we haven’t a clue as to what the plans are for the new season ahead.

AL is not going to turn this around and for me his bridges have been well and truly burnt. I 100% don’t want him to get hold of the ground because that would be putting our club into massive debt to unknown investors who would almost certainly have no allegiance to the club whatsoever.

We have the wrong guy pulling the strings here and rightly or wrongly I fully understand the reasoning and the frustrations of fans who are not prepared to back him any longer!!

***********ABDALLAH OUT***********

Someone needs to tell the Saudi's that OAFC can be bought for a fraction of the £300m they were willing to pay for Newcastle, and they can enjoy the ride up the leagues. Much better than a stagnant Premier League club.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Someone needs to tell the Saudi's that OAFC can be bought for a fraction of the £300m they were willing to pay for Newcastle, and they can enjoy the ride up the leagues. Much better than a stagnant Premier League club.

Like your thinking Al but the fan bases are slightly different.

8 hours ago, al_bro said:

🙄

On 7/24/2020 at 9:19 AM, singe said:

I think the biggest threat potentially is not going to be an actual boycott, but apathy. Here, on twitter, season ticket sales, fans are just quietly drfiting away. Much harder to get them back.

Hit the nail right on the head there, singe. Looking back at the dark days of the Moore debacle, fans were very quick to mobilise in numbers and take action i.e. not just whinge on a message board (if they even existed then). Chris Coleman (ardent Latics fan) was landlord of The Queens at the time (pub now a sheisha bar) and everything seemed to revolve around there. There was a really successful bucket collection down at City v Arsenal and then Chris himself refereed the game which effectively raised circa £200k (used to "fund" the Trust at the time). There was passion, a rallying round of fans from other clubs (Burnley, Blackburn and Blackpool fans were at the fund raising game in fair numbers) and a general "can do" attitude. There seems to be a different breed of fan now and you are quite correct - apathy has won the day.

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Hit the nail right on the head there, singe. Looking back at the dark days of the Moore debacle, fans were very quick to mobilise in numbers and take action i.e. not just whinge on a message board (if they even existed then). Chris Coleman (ardent Latics fan) was landlord of The Queens at the time (pub now a sheisha bar) and everything seemed to revolve around there. There was a really successful bucket collection down at City v Arsenal and then Chris himself refereed the game which effectively raised circa £200k (used to "fund" the Trust at the time). There was passion, a rallying round of fans from other clubs (Burnley, Blackburn and Blackpool fans were at the fund raising game in fair numbers) and a general "can do" attitude. There seems to be a different breed of fan now and you are quite correct - apathy has won the day.

You are of course correct, but years and years since then of decline, has taken its toll.

10 hours ago, wiseowl said:

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

You are of course correct, but years and years since then of decline, has taken its toll.

Indeed. 

AL tenure is the proverbial nail in the coffin, but apathy had set in long long before he showed up. 

10 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I'm ashamed to say, but Wigan are rallying and I'm not sure we could match. How embarrasing.

22 minutes ago, singe said:

I'm ashamed to say, but Wigan are rallying and I'm not sure we could match. How embarrasing.

Match what?? 🙄

You’re comparing apples and oranges. 

Wigan are fighting for their existent. 

We are fighting an owner we don’t like. 

There are two completely different things, which bring completely different fan reaction. 

What can we rally behind that will affect anything? Nothing.

If we went into admin, and were fighting to stay alive, everyone would come of the woodwork. Like they did they last time we went into admin. Why?   
1, AL would be gone.

2, hope would come back. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Match what?? 🙄

You’re comparing apples and oranges. 

Wigan are fighting for their existent. 

We are fighting an owner we don’t like. 

There are two completely different things, which bring completely different fan reaction. 

What can we rally behind that will affect anything? Nothing.

If we went into admin, and were fighting to stay alive, everyone would come of the woodwork. Like they did they last time we went into admin. Why?   
1, AL would be gone.

2, hope would come back. 

Like I  said, we could match, ie in their sitution. I  fear we have been worn down.

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Blackpool fans were worn down by Oyston. To the point where next to no fans turned up. He left/got kicked out. The fans returned. 

They weren't worn down. They protested by not attending whilst picketing at every home match.

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Blackpool fans were worn down by Oyston. To the point where next to no fans turned up. He left/got kicked out. The fans returned. 

He only got kicked out because the owners got a court case against them for stealing money from the club. Our club doesn't have money to steal so the only way he will leave is of his own accord

5 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

They weren't worn down. They protested by not attending whilst picketing at every home match.

Fair comment. They did picket whilst he was still there. I stand by the over arching point though that people would come out for us if we went into admin. It would certainly peek my interest- as strange as that sounds. 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair comment. They did picket whilst he was still there. I stand by the over arching point though that people would come out for us if we went into admin. It would certainly peek my interest- as strange as that sounds. 

Would we be a more attractive buy if the club/ground was whole?

In fact, isn't it about now (pre-covid) that club landlord were going to thrash this out to make us whole again?

6 minutes ago, underdog said:

Would we be a more attractive buy if the club/ground was whole?

In fact, isn't it about now (pre-covid) that club landlord were going to thrash this out to make us whole again?

I don't think that question is even up for debate ofcourse we would be a more of an attractive proposition.

Only a complete moron would have bought the club not knowing what the assets were, thats why it took Blitz Gazal and Corney 8 years to find one.

As for making us whole again (as atomic kitten would say 😂) Well its pretty clear to everyone the owner doesn't have the wonga to do that and if he does manage to do that it will be to detriment to the rest of the club. So mr Blitz is likely to be our landlord for abit longer.

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think that question is even up for debate ofcourse we would be a more of an attractive proposition.

Only a complete moron would have bought the club not knowing what the assets were, thats why it took Blitz Gazal and Corney 8 years to find one.

As for making us whole again (as atomic kitten would say 😂) Well its pretty clear to everyone the owner doesn't have the wonga to do that and if he does manage to do that it will be to detriment to the rest of the club. So mr Blitz is likely to be our landlord for abit longer.

I was about to quote atomic kitten  😡😂

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Depends on how long.

I remember asking Blitz a similar question and he stated at the time granted, that he wanted out and a timescale of his exit. 

Exit was this year......again I will stress that was then and things changed

and now I have that bloody song in my head too. aagghhhhhh

Archived