Playing squad, summer 2020

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

What a bizarre analogy.

It would of made more sense if he compared the supporters who support the owner no matter what, with people who accept the renewal quote every year because of loyalty. Maybe 🤔 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah of course it works both ways.

People who will not acknowledge in anyway the harm AL has done is equally as strange as those who will not acknowledge any positives (however small) 

Cobblers. I've acknowledged the Community Trust and the groundstaff/pitch. The problem is that is about it. The rest is desperately trying to make a positive out of practically thin air. For example, the oft touted George Edmunson deal a) it's looking a steal and b) it's 1 deal out of 70 players we've lost money on. Another example, the rumour Borthwick-Johnson deal-what is the point of a one year deal? We'll get no fee?

The positives are scant and just clutching at straws and scraping the barrell.

32 minutes ago, singe said:

Cobblers. I've acknowledged the Community Trust and the groundstaff/pitch. The problem is that is about it. The rest is desperately trying to make a positive out of practically thin air. For example, the oft touted George Edmunson deal a) it's looking a steal and b) it's 1 deal out of 70 players we've lost money on. Another example, the rumour Borthwick-Johnson deal-what is the point of a one year deal? We'll get no fee?

The positives are scant and just clutching at straws and scraping the barrell.

We’ll just ignore the two year deal for Dearnley then.  Or the investment made inn Rowe. 🙄 Football clubs make decisions all the time on the length of contract. But no it’s got to be implied AL IS SHAFTING US ON THE CBJ CONTRACT. 

Rangers bid 3 times for edmundson, and if the numerous reports at the time are to believed we got 650k- our biggest sale for many a year and dwarfing the many times Corney sold players for 150/200k. But let’s reframe that into AL GOT ROBBED AND CANT NEGOTIATE. 

Why can’t you credit club, without it being seen as defending AL?? It’s bizarre. 

I’ve nothing to add on the AL saint vs sinner debate, but on contract lengths - it’s plausible that CBJ refused to sign a longer deal, thinking that a year here puts him in the shop window. It’s also plausible that it’s a one-year deal with an option, which has been increasingly common from us lately and mitigates the risk of getting tied to long-term highly-paid failures.

45 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I’ve nothing to add on the AL saint vs sinner debate, but on contract lengths - it’s plausible that CBJ refused to sign a longer deal, thinking that a year here puts him in the shop window. It’s also plausible that it’s a one-year deal with an option, which has been increasingly common from us lately and mitigates the risk of getting tied to long-term highly-paid failures.

From the Mail article:

Borthwick-Jackson also had interest from MLS clubs but is looking to get a full season under his belt in League Two before taking stock of any other options.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

We’ll just ignore the two year deal for Dearnley then.  Or the investment made inn Rowe. 🙄 Football clubs make decisions all the time on the length of contract. But no it’s got to be implied AL IS SHAFTING US ON THE CBJ CONTRACT. 

Rangers bid 3 times for edmundson, and if the numerous reports at the time are to believed we got 650k- our biggest sale for many a year and dwarfing the many times Corney sold players for 150/200k. But let’s reframe that into AL GOT ROBBED AND CANT NEGOTIATE. 

Why can’t you credit club, without it being seen as defending AL?? It’s bizarre. 

I'm certainly not knocking one out at the thought of Dearnley and Rowe. I'll turn religious and pray they come good, but they've not done that much to excite me.
Far bigger fear they will  join the strikers graveyard.

Nor Borthwick-JAckson. Fingers are firmly crossed.

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Everyone was saying one year deals were a good thing this time last year, make your minds up lads...

Wishing they were because they were crap is not the same as saying they are good thing.
What everyone was saying, many times, is we need a complete overhaul and get rid of the deadwood.
We've certainly done that . Again ref:See 15-16 season).

Surely we have to have a decent recruitment for the first time in eons.

37 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

And already CBJ (if he signs) doesn't seem to satisfy your lofty  expectations.

I mean, come on. It can't just be me that's not excited by him on the evidence, surely?

3 minutes ago, singe said:

I mean, come on. It can't just be me that's not excited by him on the evidence, surely?

Like any signing you never know. 

But. 

At the very least he comes with good pedigree, and he’s a good age. His potential signing Is infinitely preferable to a lad from Auxerre reserves, who was loan at some french 5th division club. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Like any signing you never know. 

But. 

At the very least he comes with good pedigree, and he’s a good age. His potential signing Is infinitely preferable to a lad from Auxerre reserves, who was loan at some french 5th division club. 

That is pretty fair.

53 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

We can't afford Calvin Andrew apparently.

Players will have to lower their expectations eventually. No doubt they will as time passes. Clubs like FGR may be paying over the odds at the moment, but their owner probably doesn't care if it leads to promotion.

6 hours ago, al_bro said:

Players will have to lower their expectations eventually. No doubt they will as time passes. Clubs like FGR may be paying over the odds at the moment, but their owner probably doesn't care if it leads to promotion.

Smacks of the ex Bury owner.

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The gaffer reckons we have a budget of 900k, which he says is a budget you would usually find in the National League...

Perhaps the budgets in the NL next season will be commensurately smaller

Archived