Playing Squad - Summer 21

29 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Alan Sheehan walks in to our team every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Surely one of Pidge or Jameson makes way for him...

Hes not here to play. Hes here to coach. By the wording of it sounds likes hes only going to play when desperate. Player coach focusing on coaching. Jameson won't be in the first 11 anyway imo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, LaticMark said:

"Under the EFL's operational rules surrounding embargoes, clubs do have some means of strengthening their squads "to protect the integrity" of the competition.

Clubs are permitted to 'staff up' so they have 23 players of professional standing, which is termed as players to have made at least one appearance for any club in any first-team competition.

If they have less than 23 players they are allowed, within a transfer window, to sign free agents on a maximum of one-year deals or bring in players on loan for up to half a season.

As Alan Sheehan is a player / coach does that mean he only counts as half a player in Latics' first team squad of 23?

Asking for a :clown:.

Just now, LaticMark said:

As Alan Sheehan is a player / coach does that mean he only counts as half a player in Latics' first team squad of 23?

Very good point as we have basically used up a bit of our limited space for a coach that won't play much 

28 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Yes, as he’s unlikely to play much at all, he counts as Jameson’s other half.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He’s only 34. 

He could easily play for a season or two. 

He's barely played in the last season and a half an his last contract (with Curle) was based on appearances.  Suggests he may have not been fit much to me

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

He’s only 34. 

He could easily play for a season or two. 

I agree but the fact he was announced as part of the coaching staff and not as a player suggests he won't be playing much

13 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Hes not here to play. Hes here to coach. By the wording of it sounds likes hes only going to play when desperate. Player coach focusing on coaching. Jameson won't be in the first 11 anyway imo

We are about to head into a new season with Carl Piergianni at the back. I'd say we are pretty desperate...

12 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I'd keep pierrgianni in the first 11 all day long

absolutely. In this division we need a strong centre back capable of dealing with the long ball sides. He has his weaknesses but defo should be in the squad and used right can be a big player for us 

25 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I'd keep pierrgianni in the first 11 all day long

11 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

absolutely. In this division we need a strong centre back capable of dealing with the long ball sides. He has his weaknesses but defo should be in the squad and used right can be a big player for us 

That's exactly where I am.

33 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Diarra starts, Badan on bench. Frightening.

Interested to see if Diarra can be effective in whatever formation KC is now persevering with.

The dearth of options can explain why KC might be forced to go this way. Having seen Diarra a number of times, he was brave and very physical, but too easily wound up. Maybe KC sees a diamond in the rough.

For Badan, I appreciated his pace and movement but it rarely developed into a goal scoring opportunity.

I had CBJ streets ahead of Badan for quality and threat, but many said CBJ was also bobbins ....

2 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Interested to see if Diarra can be effective in whatever formation KC is now persevering with.

The dearth of options can explain why KC might be forced to go this way. Having seen Diarra a number of times, he was brave and very physical, but too easily wound up. Maybe KC sees a diamond in the rough.

For Badan, I appreciated his pace and movement but it rarely developed into a goal scoring opportunity.

I had CBJ streets ahead of Badan for quality and threat, but many said CBJ was also bobbins ....

Re diarra, those are my thoughts too. There's definitely a player in there. Although I think it was more the speed of the game that caught him out. Hopefully he can quickly get used to it and we might have a decent player

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Diarra won’t ever come good. Badan has potential, Diarra is stealing a living. Spends half his time making weird Instagram videos 

Diarra has done well in midfield alongside Furman, certainly added some bite. I'd say on this performance Furman has secured a contract.

10 hours ago, oafcforever said:

Thought Diarra in centre mid had a decent half to be fair, won all his headers and was strong in the tackle. Best ive seen him play in an Oldham shirt. 👍

Red card waiting to happen, Badan not far behind him. Can't believe these players are cheap enough to be worth a contract and with likely additional accommodation costs we'd be better off with domestic players. (Bahamboula is the exception that proves the rule!).

9 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Is that not more likely to be Tom Whelan?

Wasn't over-impressed with him in previous matches, would sooner have Saul Milovanovic ( who hasn't played in the last couple ) but if Diarra plays like he did first half yesterday (and keeps his nose clean!) maybe we don't need either.

Archived