Playing Squad - Summer 21

Just now, Crusoe said:

He’s been out injured for about a year apparently. Not much to see unless it’s how well he gets on with physios.

Ah fair enough.  Hardly surprising the club said zip on on the subject (that I saw).  Nearly two and a half years since he was all ready to go at Maidstone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Sutton, Da Silva (half year deal) and Luamba sign. 

Williams offered third year in youth team.

Vaughan not mentioned, I think he’s a first year scholar so has another year before a pro deal is decided.

Vaughan has another year.

Updated first post with details of scholars.

5. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (2022)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)

7. George Blackwood (2022)
18. Conor McAleny (2021 - contract offered)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
27. Vani Da Silva (New Year 2022)
29. Junior Luamba (2022)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

??. Oliver Kilner (scholar)

10 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Always good to see a few youths given pro deals. Let's hope they come good.

Have to say I thought Sutton looked well off the pace against Forest Green though... 

He came to get the ball when he should have dropped off and was a bit one paced but will only learn playing first team football. Whether he proves good enough remains to be seen but he looked OK against Bradford earlier.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, OneSizeFitz said:

Always good to see a few youths given pro deals. Let's hope they come good.

Have to say I thought Sutton looked well off the pace against Forest Green though... 

Jack Williams if he stays fit will be the one to make the biggest impact IMO, a mini Bahamboula.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:27 AM, oafcmetty said:

Updated first post with details of scholars.

5. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (2022)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)

7. George Blackwood (2022)
18. Conor McAleny (2021 - contract offered)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
27. Vani Da Silva (New Year 2022)
29. Junior Luamba (2022)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

??. Oliver Kilner (scholar)

As a minimum we need 

2 keepers

2 central defenders

2 fullbacks

2 midfielders

2 strikers

10 new players - will the budget stretch to that and more importantly will it allow Curle(*) to bring in experience and quality?

* 🤔

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As a minimum we need 

2 keepers

2 central defenders

2 fullbacks

2 midfielders

2 strikers

10 new players - will the budget stretch to that and more importantly will it allow Curle(*) to bring in experience and quality?

* 🤔

7 will be probably be cheap loanees.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

7 will be probably be cheap loanees.

12 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Curle's already said he'd be more choosy with loanees, going for quality over quantity. 

Loanees are part of building a squad nowadays - sometimes you get lucky (Ripley, Iversen, Doyle, Byrne, McAlmont, Lang, Surridge, Smith to name but a few) and sometimes you don’t (Tasdemir, Garrity...do I need to go on?)

Often the time is not right or the club is not right for a loanee - Ladapo, Fulton have both kicked on after not impressing at BP.

I’ve no doubt that McAlmont will play at a higher level and possibly the Arsenal loanee Clarke. They will both be better players  for their time with us and both progressed over the loan period. Curle can use this as a positive when negotiating to bring players in on loan. Quality not quantity is the byword.

Due to shenanigans behind the scenes and the absolute dross the fans have had to endure during AL’s tenure at the club ST’s are not going to fly off the shelf.

What this club needs to do, even at this early stage is to announce that....

1. Bahamboula is not going anywhere 

2. We do not want McAleny to leave and will be offering him a new deal reflecting that!

3. We’ll be giving it a right go next season and the target will be playoffs at least.

4. The Joe Royle stand will be open for supporters from the opening game.

All the above is surely doable and I really don’t understand how they thought the ST offer could possibly be successfull under the current circumstances!!

The atmosphere at the ground next season with two stands empty is going to be nonexistent!!

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Loanees are part of building a squad nowadays - sometimes you get lucky (Ripley, Iversen, Doyle, Byrne, McAlmont, Lang, Surridge, Smith to name but a few) and sometimes you don’t (Tasdemir, Garrity...do I need to go on?)

Often the time is not right or the club is not right for a loanee - Ladapo, Fulton have both kicked on after not impressing at BP.

I’ve no doubt that McAlmont will play at a higher level and possibly the Arsenal loanee Clarke. They will both be better players  for their time with us and both progressed over the loan period. Curle can use this as a positive when negotiating to bring players in on loan. Quality not quantity is the byword.

The quantity last season was ridiculous 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Due to shenanigans behind the scenes and the absolute dross the fans have had to endure during AL’s tenure at the club ST’s are not going to fly off the shelf.

2. We do not want McAleny to leave and will be offering him a new deal reflecting that!

3. We’ll be giving it a right go next season and the target will be playoffs at least.

All the above is surely doable and I really don’t understand how they thought the ST offer could possibly be successfull under the current circumstances!!

The atmosphere at the ground next season with two stands empty is going to be nonexistent!!

One or two of those are a bit of a stretch...

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

1. Bahamboula will be sold to the highest bidder!

2. McAleny won’t sign, he wants a better deal at a club with ambition.

3. We’ll be aiming for mid table at least next season 

4. We hope the Joe Royle stand will be open next season.

Is that better....

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This really captures the mood, certainly mine anyway.

You are highlighting the most  important elements, plus the urgency to restore some level of belief, I hesitate to write faith.

Given the events that preceded KC arriving, his appointment wasnt a carefully orchestrated milestone in a masterplan, but presented itself as a fortunate opportunity.

Since the owner has given KC a two year contract, I take heart, largely as I trust Keith has received some assurances on player budget, which may be adequate for a promotion challenge?

What happens next with player retention and recruitment is obviously a leading metric to make a judgement on the whole lot.

So, to the next nervy few weeks or months.

I wont be alone in speculating that Keith's playing staff budget is a fairly modest figure, which could then be inflated if/when Dylan Bahamboula is sold.

Dearly hoping we keep him, as much as I see Dylan as the best talent, securing Conor Mac must be priority one.

Loan players will be a significant element, this is obvious and practical, almost certainly another lucky dip for goal keeper.

Maybe the owner is seeking to change direction and make a credible bid for promotion, I look forward to being back at BP to bare witness.

Strikes me that no credibility (or restoration of faith) can be properly achieved, unless there is a satisfactory resolution of the North Stand pantomime, which has to be very soon.

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

The club can’t announce No 1 . If an offer comes in that makes real financial sense then it will be taken . All our players are available if the money is right and have always been including in the top flight. 
The best that could be said is that it is the intention to keep hold of key players and that it would take a very good offer to let them go. 
As for No 2, then yes. But if it’s more than a wage that motivates McAleny then a higher status club could be the difference.

3& 4 . I’d like to hear that  although 3 is more important  to me than 4

7 hours ago, Mayfield said:

This really captures the mood, certainly mine anyway.

You are highlighting the most  important elements, plus the urgency to restore some level of belief, I hesitate to write faith.

Given the events that preceded KC arriving, his appointment wasnt a carefully orchestrated milestone in a masterplan, but presented itself as a fortunate opportunity.

Since the owner has given KC a two year contract, I take heart, largely as I trust Keith has received some assurances on player budget, which may be adequate for a promotion challenge?

What happens next with player retention and recruitment is obviously a leading metric to make a judgement on the whole lot.

So, to the next nervy few weeks or months.

I wont be alone in speculating that Keith's playing staff budget is a fairly modest figure, which could then be inflated if/when Dylan Bahamboula is sold.

Dearly hoping we keep him, as much as I see Dylan as the best talent, securing Conor Mac must be priority one.

Loan players will be a significant element, this is obvious and practical, almost certainly another lucky dip for goal keeper.

Maybe the owner is seeking to change direction and make a credible bid for promotion, I look forward to being back at BP to bare witness.

Strikes me that no credibility (or restoration of faith) can be properly achieved, unless there is a satisfactory resolution of the North Stand pantomime, which has to be very soon.

Bunn was told he had a much higher budget than the one he received ...

14 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Bunn was told he had a much higher budget than the one he received ...

Bunn’s can’t have been bad - I imagine we contributed to wages for Iverson, Lang and Surridge 

O’Grady, Baxter and Coke probably weren’t the cheapest 

We were still paying Clarke and Byrne for a couple of months pre season too - in fact he probably had the best budget of all AL’s managers 

55 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Bunn’s can’t have been bad - I imagine we contributed to wages for Iverson, Lang and Surridge 

We were still paying Clarke and Byrne for a couple of months pre season too - in fact he probably had the best budget of all AL’s managers 

If you count Menig's 10k a week plus, then surely Wellens had the most money to work with, even if he didn't really get a lot of a say in how it was used.

9 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

According to one ex manager O'Grady was paid peanuts compared to others.

Archived