Playing Squad - Summer 21

4 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Thryve left him behind so he doesn't go in to a red country

I think that was part explained in the Oldham Times article that the club requested he didn’t travel / play in the first game. But for the second game, he’ll be mixing in the same bubble as team mates who did travel to a red zone country- which is where the ambiguity creeps in about the quarantine period.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, Sloshed Joe said:

I think that was part explained in the Oldham Times article that the club requested he didn’t travel / play in the first game. But for the second game, he’ll be mixing in the same bubble as team mates who did travel to a red zone country- which is where the ambiguity creeps in about the quarantine period.

It's almost as if the rules are randomly thought of.....

I don't know if this is the best place to post but I've ended up here looking for a place to communicate with Oldham fans lol, for full disclosure, I'm a Villa fan.

I noticed the poor state Oldham are in the season and this interests me because there's a possibility that you could be the first former premier league team to drop out of the football league completely into the 5th tier, this led me to look into your history where I came across something fascinating.

In the 1914/15 season, the last complete season before WW1, Oldham finished 2nd in the top flight, only one point behind the winners Everton. When football resumed in 1919/20, you finished 17th and were never able to return your former heights.

I can't seem to find much about this on google, do any of you have an insight into what happened to the successful Oldham squad of 1914/15? I would imagine that a lot of the squad were to sent to war and many of them ended up dead. Do you ever wonder what would have been if WW1 never happened and that successful Oldham team were able to carry on that maybe could have led to a complete different trajectory for your club?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 2:46 AM, villafan said:

I don't know if this is the best place to post but I've ended up here looking for a place to communicate with Oldham fans lol, for full disclosure, I'm a Villa fan.

I noticed the poor state Oldham are in the season and this interests me because there's a possibility that you could be the first former premier league team to drop out of the football league completely into the 5th tier, this led me to look into your history where I came across something fascinating.

In the 1914/15 season, the last complete season before WW1, Oldham finished 2nd in the top flight, only one point behind the winners Everton. When football resumed in 1919/20, you finished 17th and were never able to return your former heights.

I can't seem to find much about this on google, do any of you have an insight into what happened to the successful Oldham squad of 1914/15? I would imagine that a lot of the squad were to sent to war and many of them ended up dead. Do you ever wonder what would have been if WW1 never happened and that successful Oldham team were able to carry on that maybe could have led to a complete different trajectory for your club?

Thanks for visiting and posting mate. 

I don't know that much about the subject save that Latics did struggle on the resumption to league football after war, I am not sure if we lost any players to the war as we don't routinely commemorate anyone around Remembrance Day time and I am sure we would do if there were any Latics players and officials who had fallen in the War.  We were relegated in 1922/23 and didn't return to the top table until 1990/91 (68 years). 

Latics didn't do well upon resumption of League football in 1946/47 after the 2nd World War either and it took us 4 years to mount anything like a promotion challenge from League Division 3 North, we went up in 1953/54 after a couple of near misses but were relegated the following season and didn't return to second tier league football until 1974/75. 

Latics are not managing very well either on- or off-the field at the moment, this is primarily due to dreadful leadership and management over the last decade or so and our decline's trajectory is becoming more drastic by the season. 

I don't think Latics future would have been any different if we had won the league in 1914/15 (although it would be something fans could crow about) or if we had survived the war(s) better. Oldham was a relatively affluent town through the first half of the 20th century but its decline was steep in terms of the decline of the cotton industry and the fall away from the Industrialisation. 

OAFC had a major upturn on the field between 1989/90 and 1993/94 after many years of stability in the 2nd Division when good recruitment, good leadership and a plastic pitch all contributed to the club's becoming a founder member of the Premier League however the decline came all too quickly, new fans left in their droves after the club stopped winning regularly. One awful moment in 1994 when Mark Hughes scored a tremendous volley in the 90th minute to snatch away a memorable win from Latics in the FA Cup Semi Final has proved to be the catalyst to Latics downturn from which we have never recovered, if we had gone on to win the FA Cup Final I feel we would have also stayed up and may have enjoyed the richer trappings that the Premier League yielded in the later 1990s and beyond. 

I cannot see OAFC turning this decline around ever under this leadership and am desperately concerned that we may become the first of 50 clubs who have been in the Premiership to be relegated out of the EFL.                       

On 9/25/2021 at 2:46 AM, villafan said:

Villa and Oldham actually played each other in 1915 during WW1.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/oldham-athletic/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Aston Villa/

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Former player Frank Hesham and 2 of the clubs reserve team died during 1st World War Jack Lane DCM & George Perry.

Lifted from Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic book.

Wonder why we don't as a club routinely commemorate these players around Remembrance Day? Maybe we do and I have missed it.... 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, oafcmetty said:

Back on topic (ahem) looks like Will Sutton's loan was extended at Witton, given he's been featuring in recent games. May be coming back in a week or so? Who knows?

Saw him play for them on Saturday.  Looked quite tidy without standing out. They kept a clean sheet which was mainly down to the keeper.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, LightDN123 said:

Bad news. Looks like Jameson is close to coming back from injury. Not fit to play for the under 12s that lad. 

First time since covid I've seen players in the gym today albeit the ones coming back from injury - Adams, Luamba, Cisse, Jameson plus one I didn't clock as I walked past.

55 minutes ago, mick26 said:

First time since covid I've seen players in the gym today albeit the ones coming back from injury - Adams, Luamba, Cisse, Jameson plus one I didn't clock as I walked past.

It never fails to amaze me that anyone recognises any of them. I wouldn't if they knocked on my door and called me Mary. 

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It never fails to amaze me that anyone recognises any of them. I wouldn't if they knocked on my door and called me Mary. 

Adams is fairly distinctive looking and I imagine they all wear club tracksuits in the gym which since the gym is at the club it probably makes it easier 

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Tough crowd!!! I know they don't tend to be here longer than 12 months but however shit I do take an interest in any signings we make 😂.

Archived