MATCH: vs Bradford City (A) 20/03/21

5 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We are putting in crosses from the wings, and neither Keillor-Dunn nor McAleny ever look like getting near them.

I don't think that means we need a target man necessarily.  We need to cut balls back along the floor for them to get hold of.  

If we do want to put crosses in though, then we need someone with aerial ability.

That would be a plus, but we've scored more than enough this season without one and had plenty of chances today on the floor

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That was a really good performance all around, except for the quality of shooting.  Probably the reverse of a lot of performances this season.

That back 3 looked really good, Clarke and Jameson are decent enough on either side but Pidge dominating in the middle takes so much pressure off them.

Fage got up and down the right really well but was let down by poor touches in good positions.  Adams clearly isn't natural on the left but is disciplined enough defensively that he isn't a liability.  Badan looks so much more natural in that position than in the back 3.

Whelan showed more of what he can do when he has a bigger pitch and more space to play with, credit to him for earning his place in the last two games.  That's also the best performance I've seen from McCalmont in a while, lots of energy but still took control of the ball well at the same time.

Hilßner isn't really a natural cutting in from the right but looked livelier than the last few games, as did DKD and McAleny, the latter had some decent oppotunities but on this rare occasion didn't bring his shooting boots.

I actually thought that Walker always had himself positioned well for shots and only really had long-rangers to deal with, but his handling was poor and I don't like how that's his first option when the shot comes in.  From what I've seen of Bilboe I don't think there's a lot between them, Bilboe's handling looked pretty ropey too.

Bahamboula had some really good runs but just couldn't get himself good enough opportunities to shoot.  I actually think we'll be able to cope without him while he's with Congo although we'll miss his potential to do something magic.

Curle deserves credit, he's given us a much better shape but hasn't completely stifled our attacking threats.  The players are clearly listening to him as well.  Roll on Exeter!

👏 sums up the performance almost perfectly. The ‘almost’ being your assessment of our Congolese international...

Bahamboula gave Bradford a totally different threat to deal with and showed why he should be starting games. However he could (should?) have won the game for us when he got the ball in the area but screwed his shot wide of the far post. Also he still needs to learn when to make a simple pass rather than always look to dribble.

That was our best technical display of the season and I actually thought that the pitch was decent and allowed us to play a slick passing game. That back three looked very organised and Whelan showed great confidence in possession - definitely MotM.

Well worth a tenner 😀

39 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That was a really good performance all around, except for the quality of shooting.  Probably the reverse of a lot of performances this season.

That back 3 looked really good, Clarke and Jameson are decent enough on either side but Pidge dominating in the middle takes so much pressure off them.

Fage got up and down the right really well but was let down by poor touches in good positions.  Adams clearly isn't natural on the left but is disciplined enough defensively that he isn't a liability.  Badan looks so much more natural in that position than in the back 3.

Whelan showed more of what he can do when he has a bigger pitch and more space to play with, credit to him for earning his place in the last two games.  That's also the best performance I've seen from McCalmont in a while, lots of energy but still took control of the ball well at the same time.

Hilßner isn't really a natural cutting in from the right but looked livelier than the last few games, as did DKD and McAleny, the latter had some decent oppotunities but on this rare occasion didn't bring his shooting boots.

I actually thought that Walker always had himself positioned well for shots and only really had long-rangers to deal with, but his handling was poor and I don't like how that's his first option when the shot comes in.  From what I've seen of Bilboe I don't think there's a lot between them, Bilboe's handling looked pretty ropey too.

Bahamboula had some really good runs but just couldn't get himself good enough opportunities to shoot.  I actually think we'll be able to cope without him while he's with Congo although we'll miss his potential to do something magic.

Curle deserves credit, he's given us a much better shape but hasn't completely stifled our attacking threats.  The players are clearly listening to him as well.  Roll on Exeter!

Good post Bosh.

So - do you prefer a kamikaze and lots of goals. Or professional and not many goals? Ultimately it’s just about winning for me, however I will say this. 

How is it that a group of players who couldn’t pass to each other or have any discernible shape- suddenly can find each other with the ball and look disciplined?  

It’s almost as though a decent manager does make a difference. . 😎

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Good post Bosh.

So - do you prefer a kamikaze and lots of goals. Or professional and not many goals? Ultimately it’s just about winning for me, however I will say this. 

How is it that a group of players who couldn’t pass to each other or have any discernible shape- suddenly can find each other with the ball and look disciplined?  

Think Whelan has a lot to do with that he's hardly misplaced a pass in the last 2 games and toughened up a bit.

Hilssner is a concern at the moment, he looks out of shape.

39 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Think Whelan has a lot to do with that he's hardly misplaced a pass in the last 2 games and toughened up a bit.

Hilssner is a concern at the moment, he looks out of shape.

He's seems to have a fat arse.

Talking of which, much as i loved him, Rowe was really poor. Partly down to Pidge. Had him in his pocket. But he actually looked as if he couldn't be arsed. He looked like that for us quite a few times, but he looked even more apathetic today. Given the circumstances around his departure, i thought he'd give us a rough ride today. Quite the opposite.

Curle or Kewell? Well, for me that was far from being a boring or negative style of football. We dominated the game and played some good stuff AND we looked better at the back than we have all season. Still, he hasn't won a game yet...

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Nothing dysfunctional about that display, every player knew his job, just that cutting edge missing.

Whelan my man of the match with some excellent distribution, he really looks to have come of age now.

"He's left our best player Bahamaboula out twice in succession, I've seen enough already to make my own judgement."

24 hours ago you were in the Curle out camp

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

That was our best technical display of the season and I actually thought that the pitch was decent and allowed us to play a slick passing game. That back three looked very organised and Whelan showed great confidence in possession - definitely MotM.

Happy for Whelan, he can have the champagne then, but Pidge was masterful today.

Quietly proving the doubters wrong with sublimely consistent, no nonsense defending.

I expected Danny to cause lots of problems... didnt happen.

Dont think Nicky Adams would agree with you about the pitch, he had a few tumbles.

Maybe this 3-5-2 thing will work out, just imagine if we had Zak Dearnley fit.

1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

Happy for Whelan, he can have the champagne then, but Pidge was masterful today.

Quietly proving the doubters wrong with sublimely consistent, no nonsense defending.

I expected Danny to cause lots of problems... didnt happen.

Dont think Nicky Adams would agree with you about the pitch, he had a few tumbles.

Maybe this 3-5-2 thing will work out, just imagine if we had Zak Dearnley fit.

If Whelan had come in on loan from a Premiership club under 23s performing like today fans would be ecstatic and be hoping we could sign him until 2022.

Well the good news is he has, and as he grows older and stronger the better I think he will become.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If Whelan had come in on loan from a Premiership club under 23s performing like today fans would be ecstatic and be hoping we could sign him until 2022.

Well the good news is he has, and as he grows older and stronger the better I think he will become.

Agree.

Most are too hasty judging players.......and managers perhaps...........

15 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Best performance under Curle

Worst result in four matches against Bradford this season

Just to put it into context.

Ffs we ducked them 3 games earlier this year and should have won today 

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Totally agree with that BP. Think there is a great payer in there liked hiim from day one he just needed to get games under his belt and toughen up . Pre season in the gym he will be different player for next season.

11 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Best performance under Curle

Worst result in four matches against Bradford this season

Just to put it into context.

Just to put it into context half the Bradford side  hadnt played against us before and they were below us in the league in previous games not six points above us.

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good post Bosh.

A very good question and for me it depends on what the realistic expectations are.

When we got Kewell in I didn't expect us to do much at all because of his track record, the type of player we were signing, the lack of stability at the club and the downright bad decisions being made by the people above him.  So to see us scoring a lot more goals than usual (despite conceding a staggering amount) was enough to be going along with. 

Add to that, he did state on a few occasions that it takes years to build a successful team rather than months (see a lot of the teams at the top of the league this season) so I thought there was enough to be working with IF we were going down that route.  Of course it's pretty obvious that our owners don't have the patience for that so with hindsight Kewell was kind of doomed from the start with the plan he had.

I'm surprised that we managed to appoint someone like Curle, although the deal being to the end of the season is probably the only reason why Curle even considered it.  He's the first boss that we've appointed who's won promotion at the level he's in charge of us at since Ronnie Moore back in 05/06.  As a result, my expectations change. 

I'll happily trade off some of the attacking play if the pragmatism gets us challenging at the top of the league as soon as realistically possible.  As he showed at Northampton, part of the season to assess the squad and a summer transfer window to make his mark is enough for him to bring success.  The owners need to give him the chance to do it again.

This season for me under HK had seen us become a threat going forward, good to watch at times on the front foot, great away wins against some of the better teams in the league.

But this has mainly been down to teams pushing forward and leaving space for our forwards to expose.

At home this hadn't been happening and that is why we found ourselves so unpredictable and only mid to lower table, no consistancy.

HK's selections often left me and many others scratching our heads, constently changing the team, formation etc.

We were so so poor at retaining the ball in midfield and up top that the defence was constantly under pressure, and when your picking the likes of Jamboti over Pidge you are weakening an already powder puff defence.

Pidge is our best defender, that is a fact, no nonsense, he wins headers and clears the ball, not his fault there is no one up top to hold it up.

Our midfield was weak too, couldn't pass to each other and again they were a drain on the defence.

KC comes in and apart from the Cambridge game weve looked much more solid with a shape, a team that looks organised without losing an attacking threat. 

The team looks much better with pretty much the same players. I sor of understand him not picking Bahamboula because he's a luxary player, a luxary player can be a passenger at times and at this level you need players who you can trust to put a shift in, he is not that player.

But impact player yes.

KC has changed this team's shape and mentality so quickly imo that I applaud him.

Give him the job next season, give him the summer to recruit and get his team ready to play the league 2 way.

Its the only way to get out of this league, being solid and tough from the back to the front men.

No passengers or show pony's at this level.

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good post Bosh.

kewell was a bit of a maverick manager with a non standard English sort of style. wouldn’t say he’s not decent though v curle just different. Whatever kewell was asking the midfield couldn’t grasp as now we have a typical system and manager they can control and pass it better. 

the high scoring games are gone now, so depends if u prefer lower middle of league by being tight and loads of draws vs kewell high scoring win or lose sort of style. Either way think we would finish in same position 

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

This season for me under HK had seen us become a threat going forward, good to watch at times on the front foot, great away wins against some of the better teams in the league.

But this has mainly been down to teams pushing forward and leaving space for our forwards to expose.

At home this hadn't been happening and that is why we found ourselves so unpredictable and only mid to lower table, no consistancy.

HK's selections often left me and many others scratching our heads, constently changing the team, formation etc.

We were so so poor at retaining the ball in midfield and up top that the defence was constantly under pressure, and when your picking the likes of Jamboti over Pidge you are weakening an already powder puff defence.

Pidge is our best defender, that is a fact, no nonsense, he wins headers and clears the ball, not his fault there is no one up top to hold it up.

Our midfield was weak too, couldn't pass to each other and again they were a drain on the defence.

KC comes in and apart from the Cambridge game weve looked much more solid with a shape, a team that looks organised without losing an attacking threat. 

The team looks much better with pretty much the same players. I sor of understand him not picking Bahamboula because he's a luxary player, a luxary player can be a passenger at times and at this level you need players who you can trust to put a shift in, he is not that player.

But impact player yes.

KC has changed this team's shape and mentality so quickly imo that I applaud him.

Give him the job next season, give him the summer to recruit and get his team ready to play the league 2 way.

Its the only way to get out of this league, being solid and tough from the back to the front men.

No passengers or show pony's at this level.

they look more organised I agree, but not sure that will translate to more points. Kewell won a decent % of games and needed to work out how to play at home and I think he’d have had us on verge of playoffs. Def a we will score more than u mentality.

I don’t think curle’s style will be more effective it’s just a different way of going about it. He’ll change the squad if he gets the job problem will always be if he gets to pick who he signs or not. If not can’t see us moving forward and we will swap mid table winning and losing for mid table drawing loads 

20 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

they look more organised I agree, but not sure that will translate to more points. Kewell won a decent % of games and needed to work out how to play at home and I think he’d have had us on verge of playoffs. Def a we will score more than u mentality.

I don’t think curle’s style will be more effective it’s just a different way of going about it. He’ll change the squad if he gets the job problem will always be if he gets to pick who he signs or not. If not can’t see us moving forward and we will swap mid table winning and losing for mid table drawing loads 

Imo.... and thats all it is.

If a manager can get this lot to look more organised, stop conceding so many goals and look like they can keep the ball then he's better placed than someone who likes to play a fully expansive gung ho style of play away from home which had some good ourtomes yes, but if that didnt work then we looked like a bunch of kids playing chase ball. 

I liked HC but the team was so poor 70% of the time, I'm not convinced he would have improved any further.

KC yes will play a different style, not as gung ho and with more emphasis on conceding less goals, you cant defend like we have this season and expect anything good to come from it, I'm not blaming the defence totally because the players in front of them offered no help whatsoever at times.

I might be wrong, hope I'm right and KC sorts this lot out. What goes on behind the seens I don't know but I have a feeling KC wont take too much crap so if they want league 1 football they need to start letting a manager, manage !!

Didn't see yesterday's game so cannot comment on that one, saw the Por Vale (shite) and Scunthorpe (much better) ones though. 

The home form has been totally dross all season and 4 wins from 17 under Kewell was abysmal, the Cambridge match under Curle offered better first 30 minutes but we were well beaten at the end. 

The away form had been substantially better, 7 wins in 15 under Kewell and 5 draws with 30 goals scored. Under Curle so far, its 3 draws from 3 and 1 goal scored and all gained against teams who have been in pretty poor form (Bradford had been better previously under their joint managers but have not won in last 3).     

Just don't get the Curle thing at all - an interim coach/ manager. At best it allows Curle to come in, reshape the team as has happened to date, get players to fit his desired system and get better results in 2020/21 and see the season out better than under Kewell. I would accept that the first two have happened but results not materialised as yet, away draws are no use if you cannot win at home. Who does his new system suit? Piergianni definitely, McAlmont and Whelan certainly, Jameson looks relatively ok with it. Who does it not suit - Bahamboula, Hilsner, McAleny. Would suit Adams much better if he was on right but needs must. 

If Curle stays (and its a big IF), will he get the chance to recruit players to fit his 3-5-2? Will this style of play attract players proven at this level or get the best out of McAleny (who was goal laden for months) or Bahamboula whose maverick style is appealing to supporters but not necessarily suited to the hard yards required in KC's team. 

I hope it all works out well for all concerned, I am sick to death of the constant chopping and changing at Head Coach level/ Interim Manager (* delete as applicable). I hope KC can turn it round and give us a stronger platform from which to build a promotion winning side next season however my head tells me this is another cunning plan that has not been thought through by the owners and is probably another to be consigned to the history of turmoil under their tenure.  

Good, solid performance that. We lacked a bit of a threat but I think that will come as the players get more used to the system, and we still created enough to win the game

I've been a big critic of Whelan this season but he had a really good game yesterday, looked very composed on the ball and actually had his head up and looked to get us on the front foot 

24 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I've been a big critic of Whelan this season but he had a really good game yesterday, looked very composed on the ball and actually had his head up and looked to get us on the front foot 

Me too, and I agree with you, but he did have lots of time and space yesterday, possibly because Bradford were going full tilt pressing our back three.

3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

If Curle stays (and its a big IF), will he get the chance to recruit players to fit his 3-5-2? Will this style of play attract players proven at this level or get the best out of McAleny (who was goal laden for months) or Bahamboula whose maverick style is appealing to supporters but not necessarily suited to the hard yards required in KC's team. 

If you listen to Curle I think that he acknowledges and is pleased at the technical ability of many of the squad at his disposal. I would argue that in Clarke, Piergianni and Jameson he has a decent back three. And Fage looks better in a wing back role.

Furthermore his preferred formation allowed both McCalmont and Whelan to have a lot of the ball yesterday. Further forward, Keillor-Dunn has grown in confidence as the season has progressed - some of his ball retention yesterday was crucial. 

McAleny had seven attempts on goal yesterday which suggests that is getting opportunities as is Keillor-Dunn who had five.

In short, I think that he does have players who can play to his formation.

Bahamboula is a top player at this level he just needs to improve aspects of his decision making - when to run with the ball and when to give and go for example. Yes he could work harder out of possession but he is always available and does tackle back. 

There has been signs that the players are adapting to the new demands placed on them - let’s hope that this progress continues on Tuesday.

Archived