So Curle has been given assurances that he can put his style on the team and bring in his own players

Curle and his coaching staff can probably meet to plan all this in those training facilitiy buildings we were installing and we can all watch the outcome from the comfort of the Health and Safety cleared North Stand ?

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

He will probably get a free reign at it. I don't think the interference with Kewell was as big as is being made out and I get the feeling the brothers have downed tools...

Any idea what happened to the busload of triallists that pitched up at the end of the season?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

He will probably get a free reign at it. I don't think the interference with Kewell was as big as is being made out and I get the feeling the brothers have downed tools...

If AL has downed tools where is the money coming from to pay the players and run the club?

Just a word of caution for those getting excited about this appointment. Harry Kewell win ratio 41% Keith Curle 28%. When Kewell was sacked we were 16th with games in hand on a couple of sides above us which could have seen us go 12th or 13th. We finished 18th. I also think it's a myth that he tightened us up at the back - we conceded 25 goals in 14 games

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If AL has downed tools where is the money coming from to pay the players and run the club?

Did not Barry confirm we have dipped into the EFL loan? OASF director Philippa observed a loan is no good for any EFL clubs really. There are penalties if we fail to pay it back. Embargoes, limited player transfers in, with-holding of the parachute/regional payouts too.

However, I do believe the owner is still in situ - otherwise it would be a social media meltdown

33 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Just a word of caution for those getting excited about this appointment. Harry Kewell win ratio 41% Keith Curle 28%. When Kewell was sacked we were 16th with games in hand on a couple of sides above us which could have seen us go 12th or 13th. We finished 18th. I also think it's a myth that he tightened us up at the back - we conceded 25 goals in 14 games

Speaking my language there Gladders...

23 minutes ago, PeteG said:

If it does happen (and I'm not believing that it has until it's officially been confirmed) then it's not an appointment that I'll be excited about, rather one that I'll be slightly relieved about. 

I'd call Curle a safe pair of hands rather than a manager to get the pulse racing.  I think he'll make what he can control of the club more professional and respectable, hopefully that will mean a top half finish or above but I suppose that depends on the areas that are out of his control.

But as for the stats, they can all be answered with a sweeping statement:  He was managing a team that wasn't his, and a squad that certainly didn't suit his style. 

And in terms of win percentage over their careers, Curle is 4% higher and has a 10% lower loss percentage than Kewell.  Hardly something to get excited about but it is an upgrade.

Regardless of the whether or not AL and Mo had influence in the recruitment, Kewell certainly put his stamp on that team.  I think the decision to bring Curle in to manage the team for the last 14 games will only pay off if he has the chance in the summer to put his own stamp on things.  If not then it was a fairly pointless appointment.

44 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Polite reminder that Kewell lost as many games as he won.

59 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Them win ratio's don't seem correct. Are they career ratio's or just Latics? Also, once we were safe, he started picking Garrity and doin a bit of experimenting..

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Them win ratio's don't seem correct. Are they career ratio's or just Latics? Also, once we were safe, he started picking Garrity and doin a bit of experimenting..

Hardly any draws for Kewell, won or lost.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

37 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If it does happen (and I'm not believing that it has until it's officially been confirmed) then it's not an appointment that I'll be excited about, rather one that I'll be slightly relieved about. 

I'd call Curle a safe pair of hands rather than a manager to get the pulse racing.  I think he'll make what he can control of the club more professional and respectable, hopefully that will mean a top half finish or above but I suppose that depends on the areas that are out of his control.

But as for the stats, they can all be answered with a sweeping statement:  He was managing a team that wasn't his, and a squad that certainly didn't suit his style. 

And in terms of win percentage over their careers, Curle is 4% higher and has a 10% lower loss percentage than Kewell.  Hardly something to get excited about but it is an upgrade.

Regardless of the whether or not AL and Mo had influence in the recruitment, Kewell certainly put his stamp on that team.  I think the decision to bring Curle in to manage the team for the last 14 games will only pay off if he has the chance in the summer to put his own stamp on things.  If not then it was a fairly pointless appointment.

I was disappointed when HK was sacked and said so at the time, as much as anything because it showed yet again the stupidly short-term outlook of the Chuckle brothers.

IF Curle gets the job F/T and IF he gets an ok budget and IF he has full control (!) then that's as good as it gets at the moment. He is a seasoned manager with a promotion on his CV and I'd like him to get a pre-season and a full season, let's see what happens.

As @the_mighty_boshsays the respective in-season stats are irrelevant. As for the chance that we might have got to 12th rather than 18th in L2, forgive me if I don't get too worked up by that.

Kewell almost had the same philosophy as Big Joe, you score 2 and we'll score 3. 

Some away games last year it looked like we had the makings of a very good attacking team.

Sadly tho this wasn't the case at home and was not consistent.

Kewell was a very likeable manager but his innability to make that team tighter was quite shocking.

Once Curle came in he was stuck with the same players which were weak, incosistent and not very intelligent.

He sort of built a spine in the team but the limbs were sore poor it was never goung to improve.

Give Curle control of his own team building and I am pretty sure we could have a better season than our last 3.

It might not be as pretty as some of the Kewell games but I reckin he will make us a stronger outfit.

Its all opinions but we all want the same outcome in the end.

I like curle, think he’s as good as kewell in a different way. Ultimately, putting together a new team and being up at the top is very very difficult. Unless the board give people 2 or 3 seasons to shape a team I think it will be hard to be successful immediately. I think he’s a good man though to make sure we stay in the league as a min as will know what he wants and have good connections. That’s honestly the height of my ambition for the club at the moment 

9 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I like curle, think he’s as good as kewell in a different way. Ultimately, putting together a new team and being up at the top is very very difficult. Unless the board give people 2 or 3 seasons to shape a team I think it will be hard to be successful immediately. I think he’s a good man though to make sure we stay in the league as a min as will know what he wants and have good connections. That’s honestly the height of my ambition for the club at the moment 

It's not just the board though most of our fans don't have the patience to give a manager 2 or 3 seasons. I remember the Salford away game where the majority of fans were shouting for Dinos head, we only played a handful more games before the season was curtailed and he was then sacked and suddenly he turned in Pep! I've always believed in giving a manager time and i felt Kewell was going to be a success if given longer, the players were certainly playing for him. I'm not convinced by Curle either by his style or results but i'd back him and give him time but we know it won't happen don't we?

I said at the start of last season whoever the manager is doesn't matter and Im sticking with it. Even if they have full autonomy over signings. The budget he will get given will be pitiful. You can get promotion out of this division on a small budget as Morecambe or Newport will show but for that to work you need all the other stuff to work behind the scenes. Coaching, scouting and imbedded philosophy so everyone knows their job.

If you want a manager to make a difference you have to give him some backing over and some time. Even if a few of the signings don't workout or we hit a bad run of form and we get grumblings in the stands or on social media.

None of these things will happen so Im just indifferent if Curle gets the gig or not.

Please- for the love of god can we stop comparing someone with 3 abject failures and no top half finish with someone who has a promotion in his last job and playoff runs prior to that. 

Kewell isn’t fit to lace Curle’s boots managerialey. Anyone who argues differently is literally making things up based on perceived style of play. 

14 minutes ago, PeteG said:

It's not just the board though most of our fans don't have the patience to give a manager 2 or 3 seasons. I remember the Salford away game where the majority of fans were shouting for Dinos head, we only played a handful more games before the season was curtailed and he was then sacked and suddenly he turned in Pep! I've always believed in giving a manager time and i felt Kewell was going to be a success if given longer, the players were certainly playing for him. I'm not convinced by Curle either by his style or results but i'd back him and give him time but we know it won't happen don't we?

It's a fair point about the patience of the fans too.  We can't just want a manager/head coach out based purely on their flaws.  Kewell was certainly flawed in his style but he also helped produce comfortably the best goalscoring Latics side in the last decade.  I can't say I was convinced that Kewell was going to get us to storm the league in his 2nd season but I think we would probably have improved and built upon this season if he was given it.

I'm not sure people thought Dino was a messiah when he was sacked, but they were rightly pissed off that we chucked away an opportunity to stabilise, instead going for someone in Kewell who was pretty much a sideways move in many respects.

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Na not convinced on Curle at all. 

Is that compared to other managers we've had or just from what you've seen so far?  Johnson proved himself to have more ability than other managers we've had recently and Shez is the manager that I'm most convinced fit the club, but in terms of CV I doubt that we've had a more convincing manager than Curle.  Who do you think would be more convincing?

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Please- for the love of god can we stop comparing someone with 3 abject failures and no top half finish with someone who has a promotion in his last job and playoff runs prior to that. 

Kewell isn’t fit to lace Curle’s boots managerialey. Anyone who argues differently is literally making things up based on perceived style of play. 

So Curle has 1 promotion on his CV but you forget to mention he's also got 3 relegations on his CV. I'm not sure Kewells time at Crawley was abject failure given they finished 14th and last season with us certainly wasn't a total failure actually and no doubt he was improving the side. Notts County was a failure no doubt however they got considerably worse after he left. Stop making Curle out to be some modern day Warnock who gets every team he manages promotion, it's happened once!

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

So Curle has 1 promotion on his CV but you forget to mention he's also got 3 relegations on his CV. I'm not sure Kewells time at Crawley was abject failure given they finished 14th and last season with us certainly wasn't a total failure actually and no doubt he was improving the side. Notts County was a failure no doubt however they got considerably worse after he left. Stop making Curle out to be some modern day Warnock who gets every team he manages promotion, it's happened once!

😂😂😂

Ok. 

41 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Huzzah!

Archived