• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Please- for the love of god can we stop comparing someone with 3 abject failures and no top half finish with someone who has a promotion in his last job and playoff runs prior to that. 

Kewell isn’t fit to lace Curle’s boots managerialey. Anyone who argues differently is literally making things up based on perceived style of play. 

Broadly I agree and out of the two I'd put my money on Curle to get us promoted rather than Kewell without question.

That said, PeteG said about 2 of Kewell's 3 jobs not being abject failures, I'd go as far as saying that none of them were abject failures.  None were successes either of course, but his record in 14 games at Notts County is almost identical to Curle's 14 games here so far.  Notts were a total shambles for all of that season and he was a very small part of it.

I think the only manager in the Lemsagam era that I'd consider calling a failure is Wellens due to the relegation, but even then he's shown that he has managerial ability and he was clearly massively undermined when managing us.

I think that most of us would actually take the same manager being in charge at the end of the season that had started it. This has not happened at Latics for far too long and the constant swapping and changing has only had a demoralising effect on fans and presumably staff and players. 

Until ALMO go then I can't see the same manager starting and finishing a season at OAFC

The move from Dino to Kewell at the start of the season meant a shift in emphasis from an established league 2 manager with a fairly regimented way of playing to a fairly unproven but maverick manager who seemed to want to play a more attacking brand of football.  This must have meant retraining existing players and trying to bed in new players to suit a different style of play and it was moderately successful results wise albeit was much more suited to away games. Then to ditch Kewell and bring in an interim manager, Curle and basically try and adapt a new playing system 2/3 of the way into the season really doesn't sound the best idea and no wonder the results were mixed. 

I have no idea if Curle actually will take over and if he does, I do wonder whether he will have as much a say as required in building a team and using a particular playing style. 

I look forward to the day some sanity returns to my football club but am not expecting it anytime soon                

11 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Broadly I agree and out of the two I'd put my money on Curle to get us promoted rather than Kewell without question.

That said, PeteG said about 2 of Kewell's 3 jobs not being abject failures, I'd go as far as saying that none of them were abject failures.  None were successes either of course, but his record in 14 games at Notts County is almost identical to Curle's 14 games here so far.  Notts were a total shambles for all of that season and he was a very small part of it.

I think the only manager in the Lemsagam era that I'd consider calling a failure is Wellens due to the relegation, but even then he's shown that he has managerial ability and he was clearly massively undermined when managing us.

Splitting hairs Bosh. 

PeteG come back- ‘he finished 14th at Crawley!’  Illustrates the point perfectly. 

Not convinced about the role title "Head Coach", wasn't he brought in as "Interim Manager"?     

Assume that KC will not have full say on recruitment and playing style then and we will still have to endure the Sporting Director model in all its glory. 

That said, welcome (back) Keith, hope you get the support you need to make a success of the role and hope you are at least given a season

I'm not sure how anyone can say the fans are trigger happy given how many people were really keen to keep Dino and Kewell.  We're desperate for stability, hence the appointment of Curle being mainly praised.

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Have they actually learnt their lesson? This suggests stability and forward planning. I think i need to sit down. I'm feeling a bit dizzy.

Handing a 2 year contract to a new Head Coach while on paper looks a positive step in the direction of stability.

But my overriding feeling is that this doesn't change anything.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Handing a 2 year contract to a new Head Coach while on paper looks a positive step in the direction of stability. My overriding feeling is that this doesn't change anything.

Correct, it doesn't change anything but I agree with Kow, it is a positive step and he should be allowed to get on with it. In the end though it doesn't really matter because even if he was given a 22 year contract it could all end up like previous incumbents if interference reigns.

22 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Handing a 2 year contract to a new Head Coach while on paper looks a positive step in the direction of stability.

But my overriding feeling is that this doesn't change anything.

Aye. 

While the headline sounds positive. 

It doesn’t change the fact that we have next to money coming in, and an owner whose interest is non existent. 

Archived