Club statement

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

That's a very fair point we do need to recognise we have a come a long way in this regard. We also must understand that most England supporters wanted to turn up enjoy the games get behind the team and sing sweet Caroline.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed watching this England team in the Euros. Between 2006-20018 I was quite dissilusioned watching the England football team. They came across as an entitled overpaid detached mercenaries who didn't care about playing for England and couldn't put club rivalries to one side. This group is different they are young men who want to do well for England who have bonded together and also have a social conscience. For some reason we like to bash young people in this country yet this group of young men who come from all across the UK have put their peers to shame. Yes some of them are guilty of the trappings of fame and fortune but they reflect a better version of us.

Gareth Southgate deserves a huge amount of credit for this for not only being a good strategic coach but also the way he's handled the press and lead with dignity and to be capable of shutting that huge noise that surrounds the England team out.

When the dust settles on this summer we will look back and remember an England team and a coach who lead the country on and off the pitch in the right way.

Post of the day award 🥇

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I rather think it demonstrated that racism is, sadly, still a part of society....football was simply the vehicle in that moment.

I also think social media magnifies a single comment far too much and the actions of a handful of scumbags is treated as though the entire population has turned feral and racist which is surely not true

I am old enough to remember when the UK was truly racist and homophobic (although most individuals aren’t per se, they are just afraid of change which is a common human trait). We have made massive progress in changing and should continue to celebrate that and, as we have seen since Sunday, show the country’s true feelings when a few scumbags appear.

We are on the right path and true success comes when we don’t feel the need to mention a players colour....most well adjusted people don’t think of Saka or Sancho or Mings like that, we simply want to debate whether they should start ahead of another player and their best position.

Southgate isn’t perfect, the players aren’t perfect, the country isn’t perfect but you know what, it isn’t bad either and the media needs to reflect the positive progress more and the England football team is not only a reflection of our social make up it is also clearly loved and supported by the overwhelming majority of the country.

Great post. I'd double upvote it if I could.

One of the things I find utterly incomprehensible about the morons - and they are a minority, thank goodness - who racially abused Rashford, Sancho and Saka for missing the penalties - though nothing such racist idiots do should surprise me I suppose - is that they completely fail to recognise that, had it not been for Sterling's goals (and team mates) we wouldn't have got near the bloody final. How cretinous can people be?

As @Ritchierich says, true success comes when we don't feel the need to mention a player's colour. I've moaned about Sterling many, many times, mainly because for a player of his terrific talent he often forgets where his shooting boots are. Not once has it ever occurred to me to link it to his skin colour. Why on earth would you?

17 hours ago, Pidge said:

I would suggest anyone approaching a Club official to say anything critical or to suggest they leave, turns on their phone to record the exchange. We know the truth is not very important to the owners and senior officials, and upsetting fans is something they don’t think twice about. 

Excellent advice 👍

Defo everybody was stood up couldnt even see the aisles in half the stadium nevermind an empty seat (apart from that part where people pay like £60K per year then never sit in it) and it officially holds over 90 000 l think.

Plus l've watched it four times and subconciously counted everybody.

14 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Please Latics stop this kneeling  supporting BLM. If they continue then i sadly will stop watching the team ive supported all my life until it stops

Good for you. You will get a lot of stick on here for expressing an opinion that goes against the clique opinion. You can expect to be called all kind of names to intimidate you.

1 minute ago, redlion said:

Good for you. You will get a lot of stick on here for expressing an opinion that goes against the clique opinion. You can expect to be called all kind of names to intimidate you.

Whether you agree or disagree with his opinion it's a bit drastic to stop supporting your team !!

Personally I think it's gone on long enough but have no objection to it continuing.

1 minute ago, redlion said:

:petesake:  Try reading some of the moderate, sensible, and well written posts above before posting an asinine comment.

14 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Please Latics stop this kneeling  supporting BLM. If they continue then i sadly will stop watching the team ive supported all my life until it stops

I noticed last season that Latics didn't take the knee in all the games. I have no idea why.

The England team took the knee in all the Euro games and if I'm not mistaken, only Scotland and Italy joined them. The Danes clapped them. I conclude from this, that the European players taking the knee in the PL, either do it because they feel obliged to do it. Or they didn't feel comfortable doing it playing for their country, when their team mates didn't. This point hasn't been mentioned in any discussions I've heard.

A Newsnight investigation found that 59 out of 64 racist comments (about the three lads that missed the penalty) on Instagram, came from outside the UK. That could be Brits. abroad, or countries like Russia and China trying to stir up racial tensions. I wouldn't put it past them at all. Personally, I hadn't even noticed that those three lads were the only none white players to miss for us. I just felt sorry for Saka especially. Southgate shouldn't have put such a young lad, with no experience, in that position based on how he had taken penalties n training. It's totally different when there is so much pressure on.  

15 hours ago, Flemboy said:

16 minutes ago, redlion said:

As far as I can read, one or two have queried why he has taken this approach while others have tried to explain why they believe that ‘taking the knee’ is still relevant.(fwiw. I think the gesture has run its course)

I have no problem with @Flemboydisagreeing with the players stance. What I find really strange is deciding to not watch the team he’s supported all his life until the kneeling stops…👀

Each to his/her own I suppose..

23 minutes ago, redlion said:

You will get a lot of stick on here for expressing an opinion that goes against the clique opinion. You can expect to be called all kind of names to intimidate you.

Which hasn't happened. I'm watching this thread very carefully. In fact, as @TheBigDoghas already pointed out - there have been a couple of questions asking why, but no answers have been forthcoming, no debate has been closed down - and none will, unless it veers into nasty territory.

22 minutes ago, redlion said:

There has been no name calling or intimidation at all s why would you say that?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If I'm correct, you will get no answer - and it's not because I've stifled the response either.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

I just felt sorry for Saka especially. Southgate shouldn't have put such a young lad, with no experience, in that position based on how he had taken penalties n training. It's totally different when there is so much pressure on.  

First time I have seen this written and couldn't agree more. Shocking management of the match in general by Southgate capped off by the ridiculous choice of penalty takers. Two had only been on the pitch 2 mins and the other was a 19 yr old boy who has played half a season or so for Arsenal.

But does this reflect badly on the rest of the team as they didn't want to take the pens?

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

But does this reflect badly on the rest of the team as they didn't want to take the pens?

Grealish has publicly said he offered to take one and I think Sterling has too

Southgate said he chose the takers based on training but as Ian Marshal commented on Twitter that smashing in 20 penalties having a laugh with your mates isn’t quite the same as taking one on the biggest game of your life and the nations in 55 years. 

Not like 96 when Southgate stepped up and Ince shit out on the half way line 

2 hours ago, redlion said:

Not sure why anyone would get stick for choosing to stop supporting a club because of an anti-racism campaign 🤷‍♂️

And please don't mention anything about Marxism. Such a disingenuous argument that the players have repeatedly said has nothing to do with them.

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

And please don't mention anything about Marxism. Such a disingenuous argument that the players have repeatedly said has nothing to do with them.

Id be amazed if any of the players even knew the first thing about Marxism 

On the other hand they know quite a lot about being racially abused 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

23 minutes ago, redlion said:

I disagree, it's subtle but it's there. That's my opinion of course. 

Have to say I agree with red lion. 

It’s inferred in quite a few responses that if you disagree with taking the knee you’re somehow not as enlightened. Or in other words backwards. I happen to fully agree with taking the knee, but I wouldn’t patronise and condescend as a few like to. If I could be could be arsed I’d like to know where flemboy is coming from, and challenge his opionon with adult debate. 

Unfortunately that doesn’t do well on here, because whatever the debate if you don’t go with the popular narrative you are belittled. Instead of politely asked why. 

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

Id be amazed if any of the players even knew the first thing about Marxism 

On the other hand they know quite a lot about being racially abused 

I'd be amazed if any of people describing it as Marxism know what Marxism is. Least of all why a group of people who have become millionaires in their twenties I.e. the big winners in a capitalist system would support it.

It's probably something they read in their "Daily" or something they have seen in some True British patriot flag shagging echo chamber Facebook group. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Unfortunately that doesn’t do well on here, because whatever the debate if you don’t go with the popular narrative you are belittled. Instead of politely asked why. 

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Why? 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Have to say I agree with red lion. 

It’s inferred in quite a few responses that if you disagree with taking the knee you’re somehow not as enlightened. Or in other words backwards. I happen to fully agree with taking the knee, but I wouldn’t patronise and condescend as a few like to. If I could be could be arsed I’d like to know where flemboy is coming from, and challenge his opionon with adult debate. 

Not seen that at all

im not a huge fan of taking the knee to be honest purely because as Wilfred Zaha has said it doesn’t achieve anything 

Does it negatively affect me in the slightest that they do it for less than 10 seconds before kick off? No

So why would I stop going to watch my team over it? I wouldn’t and I find it very very strange that anyone would 

Archived