MATCH: vs Stevenage (H) 16/10/21

6 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Fane was the worst professional footballer I have ever seen. He could not pass a football! Cisse is comfortably better alround, has a better cv, although do admit fane was useful for just tackling. Anyway for me he wouldn’t even make our bench this season so glad he’s not with us. Cisse will hopefully help whelan or Bowden play further forward which we need 

I hope your right. We've had plenty worse than fane through our ranks lord kanaga still give me nightmares 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good performances today. Pidge was solid.. 

Dkd took his goals well and made some tackles high up the pitch. 

Leutwiler had a couple of rushes of blood but other than that was largely untroubled.. 

Bowden and Whelan both had moments although we need some more bite in the middle.  The amount of possession Stevenage had after the 2nd goal was a concern. A team with a better forward line would have punished us. 

Stobbs struggled with their left winger who was quick and tricky and I was surprised to see 12 go off.

Dearnly had a couple of bright moments but looks short on pace like he playing within himself. 

Bam was fantastic at times but does seem to need to pave himself. Took his goal well.. 

We needed a bit of luck again when they hit the post but another clean sheet so maybe the team is starting to come together. 

We started much more positively today and it gave us a great start.. More of the same Tuesday and we might make a fight of this yet. 

Beating sides like Stevenage by three clear goals should be the bare minimum. Pleased to see we achieved that today. Walsall and Carlisle up next who are seriously dog shit. 

Will we be able to finally string a run together? Doubtful. Will enjoy these three points for 72 hours

1 minute ago, GKing521 said:

Beating sides like Stevenage by three clear goals should be the bare minimum. Pleased to see we achieved that today. Walsall and Carlisle up next who are seriously dog shit. 

Will we be able to finally string a run together? Doubtful. Will enjoy these three points for 72 hours

fucking hell 😂

Can’t complain after a 3-0 win but let’s not get too carried away. Stevenage were very poor and, as above, a team with some cutting edge could have done some damage with that much of the ball. We took our goals really well which was the difference and made a nice change to what we’ve seen so far this season. 

Bahamboula is a great watch and lifts the crowd every time he’s on the ball. Pidge was solid and Couto steady. Whelan seems to have grown since last season and is asserting himself more. Centre mid and centre forward are the key areas we need to improve on though. 

3 clean sheets in 4 is it now? A decent base to build on and we don’t look like we’ll get tonked every game any more which is good. Nice to be leaving BP not feeling miserable.

22 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Surprised there arent more positive comments here.

One swallow makes a summer not 

how many times have we had a good result and said “we could go on a run now”

more than we’ve said relegation could be the kick start we need 

very good and much needed result - but after 25 minutes we were poor and a better team than Stevenage would have taken at least a point 

keeping the champagne on ice for now 

I see a few comments saying don’t get carried away, Stevenage rubbish, etc. 

OK, but we also often hear it said how rubbish L2 is. Ergo, you can only beat what’s in front of you. 

Let’s rightly celebrate a bloody good win in what to date has been a depressing season.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

They'll be here for the next defeat, don't you worry

More comments after a defeat than there are after a win? I’d hazard a guess that’s true of pretty much every football forum since the internet was invented. 

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

More comments after a defeat than there are after a win? I’d hazard a guess that’s true of pretty much every football forum since the internet was invented. 

100% but you'd still expect a few more saying good result, however shit the opposition. There are people disappointed when we (rarely) win

A welcome 3 points, but after a great start we let them back into the game to exploit the weak right hand side of our defence. Credit to KC for moving Dearnley wide in the 2nd half to give some Stobbs some cover and he played far better there than up front in his own.

My man of the match was Callum Whelan who showed great determination and kept the ball moving throughout.

Many thanks to @BPAS for inviting me on the podcast to air my views last night.

I’m happy to see 3 points banked so that we are further from relegation, but I guess like many who are refusing to put money in this clowns pocket hoping that will speed his leaving, this is hard to get excited about.

How ever the point is well made. Congratulations to the team on an improved performance.

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I’m happy to see 3 points banked so that we are further from relegation, but I guess like many who are refusing to put money in this clowns pocket hoping that will speed his leaving, this is hard to get excited about.

How ever the point is well made. Congratulations to the team on an improved performance.

However I feel about the clowns, it's impossible not to want us to win. If a side effect of poor results is to speed their exit, the pain of the losses won't be for nothing. 

First home game since Newport, the reason was to see Bahamboula play, he didn't disappoint.

The game itself was entertaining to watch, some good pieces of skill and goals.

Stevenage came here with 4 games unbeaten, but we started out with plenty of intent, hit the post after a few minutes and overhaul played well as a team. We looked better with 2 up front with Baha playing alongside Dearnley as the target man.

There are certain areas which require improvement and some players have areas of their game they need to work on.

We play a system where we are happy for the opposition to have possession and the defence has tightened up a lot since last season.

Very impressed with Cueto, I saw him make his debut against Salford and the lad has improved an awful lot since, if he keeps learning he will have a very bright future.

League 2 is a poor league and if we continue to improve we should be safe, for those hoping for relegation, I would take a look at the teams who have dropped out of the league and after several years are still trying to find a way back, be careful what you wish for, the owner has behaved in a reckless manner, football seems to attract a certain type, just look at the likes of  Derby, Bury, etc, the list goes on. 

20 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

for those hoping for relegation, I would take a look at the teams who have dropped out of the league and after several years are still trying to find a way back, 

Is anyone actually hoping for relegation? 

10 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

100% but you'd still expect a few more saying good result, however shit the opposition. There are people disappointed when we (rarely) win

I would say anybody who is disappointed with a win is not truly a Latics fan. Negative emotions of frustration and anger are probably easier and quicker to be expressed and knee-jerk reactions, to me, seem to be the norm on most social media sites. Add to that, the many kicks in the teeth which Latics supporters have had to endure and I think quietly relishing a win is not a bad thing.

I didn't see the game and therefore in no position to even comment on how the players performed but I did feel beforehand that the Latics would win. I was out at work and trying to keep an eye on the scores with my phone. It was great to see the 2-0 score line but I half expected the score to be 2-1 the next time I checked in. It wasn't, it was 3-0 and I went about my work in a much more relaxed state of mind.

I hope the players take can heart from the result and move forward. No matter how they come, wins and clean sheets breed confidence, it's up to Curle to instil the belief in the team that they can keep on doing it.

Archived