Hallam hope

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What would you like them to have done or what do you think they should have done by now that they haven't?

I expected there would be an immediate and decent pot of money available for squad strengthening. I didn't expect to have to be using the youth loan market in September.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I expected there would be an immediate and decent pot of money available for squad strengthening. I didn't expect to have to be using the youth loan market in September.

So your only metric for whether the owner is any different from the Lemsegams is whether they've spent big on players in the first few weeks of the season? 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

So your only metric for whether the owner is any different from the Lemsegams is whether they've spent big on players in the first few weeks of the season? 

I'm not really interested if a bar has new pouring machines or some potholes have been filled in, those things are just givens. The one big call that I can see so far was to do the one thing they said they wouldn't do...

To be fair, I just want to see us win football matches at this point. We have years to improve the facilities, but please win some football matches and be competitive in the meantime. They asked for patience so I will let them off for this season (to an extent). Next year, if we arnt performing consistently on a weekly basis and in the top 10, I’m not sure how much more I and certainly other fans can take. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If improvements happen, they will happen incrementally though. It isn't likely to be 2 years of being thrashed then suddenly it clicks and we're challenging for the title.

It'll take time for Unsworth to implement his style, it'll take time for the squad to be improved, it'll take time to see the benefits from the positive changes the club are looking to make. But the idea being that over time things will get better bit by bit.

The club are clearly looking at the whole thing as a long term project to try and bring success. It seems we have a section of the fan base that aren't prepared to wait for that - we should just spend all our money on better players right now.  And if I knew how to upload pictures I'd stick one of Veruca Salt in here.

Upboat, just for getting Veruca Salt in a post on a football forum. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not really interested if a bar has new pouring machines or some potholes have been filled in, those things are just givens. The one big call that I can see so far was to do the one thing they said they wouldn't do...

Perhaps without a new  owner there would have been no cjub hy now

I know it is off topic, but as a reply to the off topic aspect  :  if you are playing attractive football, scoring goals, winning loads of games, up there with a real, real chance of promotion  - then loads and loads of people will come and stand in the rain with no  " match day experiences " ( or whatever they call it these days) to watch their team. They'll even stand in the potholes to watch.

It really is simply, it's a RESULTS driven business.  Results drive revenue, revenue can then drive facilities  -  not the other way around.

34 minutes ago, parigby said:

I know it is off topic, but as a reply to the off topic aspect  :  if you are playing attractive football, scoring goals, winning loads of games, up there with a real, real chance of promotion  - then loads and loads of people will come and stand in the rain with no  " match day experiences " ( or whatever they call it these days) to watch their team. They'll even stand in the potholes to watch.

It really is simply, it's a RESULTS driven business.  Results drive revenue, revenue can then drive facilities  -  not the other way around.

This goes against every argument of the ALMO reign 

1 hour ago, parigby said:

I'd love to know what sort of business isn't results driven 

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If improvements happen, they will happen incrementally though. It isn't likely to be 2 years of being thrashed then suddenly it clicks and we're challenging for the title.

It'll take time for Unsworth to implement his style, it'll take time for the squad to be improved, it'll take time to see the benefits from the positive changes the club are looking to make. But the idea being that over time things will get better bit by bit.

The club are clearly looking at the whole thing as a long term project to try and bring success. It seems we have a section of the fan base that aren't prepared to wait for that - we should just spend all our money on better players right now.  And if I knew how to upload pictures I'd stick one of Veruca Salt in here.

The Band or the Character?

Or the Fungus/condiment mash up?

4 minutes ago, Wardie said:

That about sums it up.
So...back on the subject...has anybody heard anything about Hallam Hope?

I think, joking aside, that could be a big part of why this thread has veered so wildly from topic-to-topic, which is the bewildering silence. 

Maybe Suzanne Geldard at The Oldham Times can ask.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, Dave_Og said:

Unless you are on an Eyresesque wind up that's just weird.  If a player has two options and is shown round what is on offer at each do you think that won't influence his choice?  Especially when one option is from a club that the whole world knows has been a basket case for years.

So, assuming Rooney had the choice of staying at Barrow or signing for us (or someone else), how come he's ended up here? 

33 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

So, assuming Rooney had the choice of staying at Barrow or signing for us (or someone else), how come he's ended up here? 

You clearly are on a wind up. I said 'influence', not definitively mitigate against us signing anyone. There could be any number of reasons why he's chosen to leave Barrow. 

10 hours ago, Ackey said:

I think, joking aside, that could be a big part of why this thread has veered so wildly from topic-to-topic, which is the bewildering silence. 

Maybe Suzanne Geldard at The Oldham Times can ask.

"bewildering silence" is spot-on, Ackey.

As fans and being concerned about one of our own players, why are the club not updating on his recovery toward a return to football? I think we all know his injuries are bad and it could take a while, alongside his confidence, I think it would also be beneficial to Hope if he knew we were concerned for his wellbeing.

We don't need to know about any criminal charge proceedings etc.

Would it be cheesy for the club to put up a page where fans could leave a message of well wishes and the lad could read them for himself? Positivity aids recovery and all that.

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

"bewildering silence" is spot-on, Ackey.

As fans and being concerned about one of our own players, why are the club not updating on his recovery toward a return to football? I think we all know his injuries are bad and it could take a while, alongside his confidence, I think it would also be beneficial to Hope if he knew we were concerned for his wellbeing.

We don't need to know about any criminal charge proceedings etc.

Would it be cheesy for the club to put up a page where fans could leave a message of well wishes and the lad could read them for himself? Positivity aids recovery and all that.

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.

Minute's applause and chanting on the 11th minute this weekend?

Archived