Hallam hope

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ackey said:

Right - but that makes no sense.

Current: Well run, well funded, modern club.

You: Oldham should buy him.

Also you: He will probably go to an EFL club.

You see what you're saying right? Basically he's got a better deal now and likely an EFL contract waiting... so we should swoop on him. Why would he come?

Ah, the frailty of logic !!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Bet they've got pot holes in their car park though...

There has been a lot of talk about infrastructure; potholes it ain't. 

When you hear that club staff have been looking at Bromley's training facilities to learn lessons it should be easy to appreciate just how far behind we are.  If you are a player with choices of where to go, being shown what we have is not going to tip the balance in our favour. So, broadly two choices to make Latics an attractive club to good and promising players:

1.  Throw stupid money at them

2.  Develop the club as a whole

I know which one I think is likely to work out better in the longer term.

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

When you hear that club staff have been looking at Bromley's training facilities to learn lessons it should be easy to appreciate just how far behind we are.  If you are a player with choices of where to go, being shown what we have is not going to tip the balance in our favour. So, broadly two choices to make Latics an attractive club to good and promising players:

Or

1. invest some reasonable money in better players now.

2. Develop the club over a longer period of time.

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Or

1. invest some reasonable money in better players now.

2. Develop the club over a longer period of time.

Sorry, but you are missing the point.  Good players have choices - we are not a good choice for any player who looks at the overall package (not talking money here).  I hope that the quality of our management and coaching team may swing the balance towards us.

23 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Sorry, but you are missing the point.  Good players have choices - we are not a good choice for any player who looks at the overall package (not talking money here).  I hope that the quality of our management and coaching team may swing the balance towards us.

They will if given a bit of money to start with.

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes - so throw silly money at them, as per my original post!

We can't have two years of getting slapped by the likes of Bromley whilst they sort their shit out, not least because the fans won't be there to fund it. They need to get in the real world, change course and put some proper money into the first team now, academies and B teams can wait.

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes - so throw silly money at them, as per my original post!

A bit is not silly, by my estimations gates are up by 3,000 on what they would have been if AL had still been here, already that's about £200,000 extra revenue with more to come as long as we get results.

As a financial expert you must see some of this must be invested in the team rather than take a dive back to as we were before Frank?

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

A bit is not silly, by my estimations gates are up by 3,000 on what they would have been if AL had still been here, already that's about £200,000 extra revenue with more to come as long as we get results.

As a financial expert you must see some of this must be invested in the team rather than take a dive back to as we were before Frank?

But last seasons crowds meant we weren't paying all the bills and we were under transfer embargo and according to the reports days from going under at the end of the season. I'd imagine the extra revenue probably doesn't make us break even this season even with the current squad and for us tobe maintaining the current average crowds.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and strengthen the squad, it's just that we don't have a war chest to raid the transfer market. What I think will need to happen is a few will have to go out the door before some come in, and that will require getting the injury list down to a more manageable level. It also means we are going to have to be careful and considered in the transfer market into our recruits.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

But last seasons crowds meant we weren't paying all the bills and we were under transfer embargo and according to the reports days from going under at the end of the season. I'd imagine the extra revenue probably doesn't make us break even this season even with the current squad and for us tobe maintaining the current average crowds.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and strengthen the squad, it's just that we don't have a war chest to raid the transfer market. What I think will need to happen is a few will have to go out the door before some come in, and that will require getting the injury list down to a more manageable level. It also means we are going to have to be careful and considered in the transfer market into our recruits.

As I said this is bonus money which will soon rise to £500,000 by my estimation..assuming fans don't dessert us in droves due to lack of hope for this season.

I'm not suggesting blow all of it, just enough to get in some players who would make a difference at not much cost. Transfer list or loan out the failures.

4 hours ago, Ackey said:

You see what you're saying right? Basically he's got a better deal now and likely an EFL contract waiting... so we should swoop on him. Why would he come?

BLOCKED 

but not actually blocked

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As I said this is bonus money which will soon rise to £500,000 by my estimation..assuming fans don't dessert us in droves due to lack of hope for this season.

I'm not suggesting blow all of it, just enough to get in some players who would make a difference at not much cost. Transfer list or loan out the failures.

probably just about kept the lights on

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What I think will need to happen is a few will have to go out the door before some come in, and that will require getting the injury list down to a more manageable level. It also means we are going to have to be careful and considered in the transfer market into our recruits.

It will also rely on someone other than us to be crazy enough to want any of this lot

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I’m pretty sure Frank and Co would have factored in any future revenue into the offer of purchasing the club, ongoing costs and the purchase of the stadium - money is tight for them. This “bonus” revenue people are talking about would have been somewhat predicted by the owners and accounted for, albeit some additional revenue that forecasted might have been earned. 

4 hours ago, Ackey said:

I said probably, you are aware of course that unlike the EFL there's  no transfer window so we could  beat them to it if we have any ambition.

49 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, of course I do.   I'm pointing out that it isn't simple.  I don't suppose the coaching and management team has come cheap.  And as other shave said the 'extra' revenue may well have been anticipated in budgeting.  I'm certain they didn't expect last season's crowds

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Unsworth has said he came because of the owners & the Royle's. Why wouldn't players, who you would assume would be less considered/more desperate/foisted by agents do the same? 

How do you know our management and coaching team have quality? None of us do.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Some 20 something lad for who the National League is his level isn't going to know, never mind care, about our training facilities or how the club has developed/is developing of the pitch.

Just like most supporters, thinking about it..... 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Unsworth has said he came because of the owners & the Royle's. Why wouldn't players, who you would assume would be less considered/more desperate/foisted by agents do the same? 

Errr, we're actually agreeing,,,  We have recruited something of a headline coaching team that players may want to work with.  Most of the recent flak towards Shez was the exact opposite of that.  

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The one thing we are certain of is the vast majority of the present players lack the quality to take us higher.

I'm sure DU is fully aware of this too (even after one week at the club) and will if given help by the board  address it, if not he will flounder like the previous manager.

Archived