MATCH: York City (H) 24/01/23

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Should hand over the throw to the opposition.

They do, but only when the ref's told them to  go back apparently.

One way to stop teams timewasting would be to warn them in the changing room that their captain would be booked each time they transgressed...2nd booking resulting in a red card !

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

They do, but only when the ref's told them to  go back apparently.

One way to stop teams timewasting would be to warn them in the changing room that their captain would be booked each time they transgressed...2nd booking resulting in a red card !

Or just make it two 30 min halves and clock stops when it's out of play. Zero point in trying any tricks then

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Or just make it two 30 min halves and clock stops when it's out of play. Zero point in trying any tricks then

Reminds me when I used to watch Manchester Storm / Phoenix. Spent a great deal of time watching  the clock countdown

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Should hand over the throw to the opposition.

I have visions of supporters arriving at the game 25 minutes after kick off because both teams are still trying to take a throw-in near the corner flag following Peter Clarke's no nonsense defensive kick into touch in the first minute.

Edited by L1onheartNew
  • Like 1

I caught a little bit of Liam Hogan talking at half time on bt sport last night and the host seemed to suggest that off air Hogan had said we got away with one against York, so looks like it could have been a penalty.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 10/3/2023 at 11:51 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

Bringing this to the fore before we all get carried away with Lundstram having a semi-decent debut...

More than semi-decent I thought. He brings to the table just what we've been lacking without doubt. If he gets match fit and we can bring in another player of similar or better quality I can see us starting to dominate matches in midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redlion said:

More than semi-decent I thought. He brings to the table just what we've been lacking without doubt. If he gets match fit and we can bring in another player of similar or better quality I can see us starting to dominate matches in midfield.

Agreed.  He was excellent.

2 hours ago, redlion said:

I was cautious about pinning too much hope on him before he played. But yeah he was very good. Actually looks and controls the ball like a footballer! Even played some cross field passes which Sheron and Shelton have never played since being here. 

Oh I get it, every man and his dog can make a judgement on a player whose played an hour for us but i can't do the same if my view is a negative one.

For what it's worth I agree about Lundstrum, he has something about him covers the ground and looks comfortable at both ends of the pitch, he should just get better now as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Oh I get it, every man and his dog can make a judgement on a player whose played an hour for us but i can't do the same if my view is a negative one.

For what it's worth I agree about Lundstrum, he has something about him covers the ground and looks comfortable at both ends of the pitch, he should just get better now as well.

It's just that Lundstrum stuck out so much as a contrast to Sheron and Shelton. Almost like a breath of fresh air in the first half.

It's not a judgment, it's a view of how he performed on his starting debut for us

That's a fair point you make yarddog. I have observed over recent years a tendency for any negative (realistic?) comments to be drowned out by the "we are always positive" types. It's yet another american import and most companies have sent their employees on "positive mental attitude" etc. courses over the years. Most employees sit there like nodding dogs and accept it all without question. I remember being on a mind-numbing 3 day course once and the course facilitator (on about 5 grand a day - no wonder he was always ferkin positive!) had apparently convinced everyone in the room (including the MD) bar me that if the company just followed his mantra, they would be number 1 and have competitive advantage over their dozen or so competitors. It was his way which made the difference; there was no other.

I simply queried in response, "So if our dozen or so competitors all come on this same course, ignoring the fact that you'll be coining it in, who has the competitive advantage then? Who becomes number one?"

He didn't have an answer of course because there are many other factors involved than just "being positive". Often, constantly "being positive" can be a major failing because people don't see the blindingly obvious in front of their eyes. We saw this regarding the "Unsworth effect" - it was like the emperor's new clothes at times. 

Dualism is the key; where there is dark there is light.

For every summer, there's winter.

There's immense good and terrible evil.

There's positive... and there's negative.

It's always been that way and it always will.

So, keep up your observations because they are valid. The "constantly positive" types are just as imbalanced as the constantly negative ones (and you aren't one of those because I have seen positive posts from you too).

Long-winded I know and I`ll get slaughtered by the usual people - but just wanted to give you a little backing 😊

59 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's not a judgment, it's a view of how he performed on his starting debut for us

And my view is that Ward has done balls all in his games he's played for us and I see a limited footballer, it's a tad hypocritical to suggest you can only have one view point?. Of course my view may change but that's where I'm at with him. Lundstrum did have an encouraging debut no doubt about that but Ward has been poor.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And my view is that Ward has done balls all in his games he's played for us and I see a limited footballer, it's a tad hypocritical to suggest you can only have one view point?. Of course my view may change but that's where I'm at with him. Lundstrum did have an encouraging debut no doubt about that but Ward has been poor.

I've no view on Ward as I only saw him for 20 minutes at Southend.  It's just my view that views are formed too quickly, generally, and often become embedded. Perfectly happy that Ward may have been poor for all I know but in however many minutes he's had it can only be a view on those minutes and not him as a footballer, surely?  If Lundstram turns out to be poor his decent 70p minutes n Tuesday will .nbe an irrelevance,  Let's hope they both work out decently.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

That's a fair point you make yarddog. I have observed over recent years a tendency for any negative (realistic?) comments to be drowned out by the "we are always positive" types. It's yet another american import and most companies have sent their employees on "positive mental attitude" etc. courses over the years. Most employees sit there like nodding dogs and accept it all without question. I remember being on a mind-numbing 3 day course once and the course facilitator (on about 5 grand a day - no wonder he was always ferkin positive!) had apparently convinced everyone in the room (including the MD) bar me that if the company just followed his mantra, they would be number 1 and have competitive advantage over their dozen or so competitors. It was his way which made the difference; there was no other.

I simply queried in response, "So if our dozen or so competitors all come on this same course, ignoring the fact that you'll be coining it in, who has the competitive advantage then? Who becomes number one?"

He didn't have an answer of course because there are many other factors involved than just "being positive". Often, constantly "being positive" can be a major failing because people don't see the blindingly obvious in front of their eyes. We saw this regarding the "Unsworth effect" - it was like the emperor's new clothes at times. 

So, keep up your observations because they are valid. The "constantly positive" types are just as imbalanced as the constantly negative ones (and you aren't one of those because I have seen positive posts from you too).

Long-winded I know and I`ll get slaughtered by the usual people - but just wanted to give you a little backing 😊

Every silver lining has a cloud

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Count me as a usual. Yes we know. You think you know more than most and are better than most. That's all that post reads as