MATCH: York City (H) 24/01/23

Thought it was really poor in terms of quality of football until we scored. We lacked cohesion but at least there was effort there and defensively we were solid.  After we scored we played a bit of football in patches. Then as the 2nd half went on they got on top and we looked nervy.

Maybe Unsworth is right and we do play well in training but the weight of a poor run and expectation we should be doing better is having an effect on nerves.  Hopefully if we do scrap more points and pull away then that pyscological barrier will go and the players can play with more freedom.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Thought it was really poor in terms of quality of football until we scored. We lacked cohesion but at least there was effort there and defensively we were solid.  After we scored we played a bit of football in patches. Then as the 2nd half went on they got on top and we looked nervy.

Maybe Unsworth is right and we do play well in training but the weight of a poor run and expectation we should be doing better is having an effect on nerves.  Hopefully if we do scrap more points and pull away then that pyscological barrier will go and the players can play with more freedom.

This

One thing that stood out for me was that we mainly managed to retain the ball from our own throw ins which has not been the case previously.  We even used them as platforms for attacks. Shelton continually made himself available to the thrower who often had one and sometimes two other options. Out of small acorns....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, astottie said:

One thing that stood out for me was that we mainly managed to retain the ball from our own throw ins which has not been the case previously.  We even used them as platforms for attacks. Shelton continually made himself available to the thrower who often had one and sometimes two other options. Out of small acorns....

I noticed that.
So many throw-ins are wasted as the ball goes straight to the opposition.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Some people have no class - show some respect.

But he does have a point. The central defence pairing is positively ancient in footballing terms and I think the difference showed last night, with experience alongside pace.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

You'll be furious when you see what some people are saying about Unsworth...

The difference is that Clarke has delivered for us whereas Unsworth hasn’t yet. And of course you know that, but why let that stop you coining a ‘very funny’ phrase to describe one of the greats to have played for us over recent years?

As I said, ‘no class’ 😞 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wardie said:

ut he does have a point. The central defence pairing is positively ancient in footballing terms and I think the difference showed last night, with experience alongside pace.

Absolutely he has a point, but why insult someone like Peter Clarke (for a cheap laugh) when making it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The difference is that Clarke has delivered for us whereas Unsworth hasn’t yet. And of course you know that, but why let that stop you coining a ‘very funny’ phrase to describe one of the greats to have played for us over recent years?

As I said, ‘no class’ 😞 

Interesting mindset you've got there.

The CB pairing last night looked the best we have had all season, Hogan had his best game for us, going forward with the ammount of games coming up it might be best to keep Yarney alongside either Hogan or Clarke, it means keeping Jordan Clarke at right back as I think the lad from Hartlepool strengthened our midfield. I don't think Jordan Clarke deserves to be dropped after last night's showing. 

• Like 2

I think York should have had a penalty. It looked like handball from the RRE. We looked alright last night. Not brilliant though. York looked very poor and offered nothing going forward. Felt good coming out of the ground last night. You could feel the positive vibes. Long may it continue. Keep winning and the attendance will creep back up a bit. 

Last night I felt you could see players who knew they had to fight for a starting spot; Rooney, Abraham, Tollitt, Yarney. It’s a good sign and if we’re arguing about players who should have started after a 2-0 home victory then that’s obvious signs of progress and that we’ve assembled a competitive (if overly large) squad. 

17 minutes ago, philsalt said:

Last night I felt you could see players who knew they had to fight for a starting spot; Rooney, Abraham, Tollitt, Yarney. It’s a good sign and if we’re arguing about players who should have started after a 2-0 home victory then that’s obvious signs of progress and that we’ve assembled a competitive (if overly large) squad. 

Yes, very workmanlike, thought Rooney showed he has a lot to offer as an attacking  midfielder. The performances of Fondop and Abraham suggests Nuttall cant be complacent about his place.

Agree with most of the comments on this thread, we seem to be s...l...o...w...l...y getting there.

One thing that really narked me last night was the timewasting from my team.

To me this was highlighted when Kitching won a goal kick early in the second half, thought about giving the ball to Norman then flicked the ball a couple of yards and proceeded upfield necessitating Norman to walk 30 yards to retrieve it.

I know some regard this as "professionalism" but to me it slows down the game unnecessarily and gives the ref ample excuse to add plenty of extra time, as well as dampening any atmosphere that has been created.

When we're the better team we need to be on the offensive as often as possible not slowing the game down at every opportunity.

Old Fogey rant over...onwards and upwards !!  🤬👍 😄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agree with most of the comments on this thread, we seem to be s...l...o...w...l...y getting there.

To me this was highlighted when Kitching won a goal kick early in the second half, thought about giving the ball to Norman then flicked the ball a couple of yards and proceeded upfield necessitating Norman to walk 30 yards to retrieve it.

I know some regard this as "professionalism" but to me it slows down the game unnecessarily and gives the ref ample excuse to add plenty of extra time, as well as dampening any atmosphere that has been created.

When we're the better team we need to be on the offensive as often as possible not slowing the game down at every opportunity.

I seem to be in a small minority who really loved it when the World Cup refs were told to add time on for time wasting. Brilliant. Sometimes, we were playing c.10 minutes in extra time. I think we should do the same. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

In last week's @BPASblog the ability of Yarney to nick ten yards on every throw in was praised...  Professionalism or cheating?

9 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I seem to be in a small minority who really loved it when the World Cup refs were told to add time on for time wasting. Brilliant. Sometimes, we were playing c.10 minutes in extra time. I think we should do the same. 

I'm in the same camp.  They've been getting away with short-changing for far too long

Time wasting in the modern game does my head in. So to be fair and consistent, if it's Latics doing it it's just as bad. I even get annoyed when teams take the ball to the corner flag, but at least it's in play there.

Nicking yards at throw-ins also winds me up. The officials should just stamp on it and yes add time on when it's being wasted.

18 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Time wasting in the modern game does my head in. So to be fair and consistent, if it's Latics doing it it's just as bad. I even get annoyed when teams take the ball to the corner flag, but at least it's in play there.

Nicking yards at throw-ins also winds me up. The officials should just stamp on it and yes add time on when it's being wasted.

Agree, when we fucked about with the ball near the corner flag at the death last night I walked out. Play the game FFS. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Should hand over the throw to the opposition.

• Like 1