MATCH: York City (H) 24/01/23

First 30 mins was woeful but the rest was so, SO much better.

Sheron and Yarney very good and I thought John Rooney showed some decent touches when he came on. Jordan Clarke was a bit suspect at times and I firmly believe we need a new right back.

Happy days though! First time we've won 2 league games in a row this season? Did we even manage to achieve that last season? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

First 30 mins was woeful but the rest was so, SO much better.

Sheron and Yarney very good and I thought John Rooney showed some decent touches when he came on. Jordan Clarke was a bit suspect at times and I firmly believe we need a new right back.

Happy days though! First time we've won 2 league games in a row this season? Did we even manage to achieve that last season? 

Norman, Shelton and Fondop all also put a shift in tonight.  Timmy also had a textbook cameo.

Good stuff..

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Route One football from Latics but still giving the ball away when we do have it  - we are working hard but not playing too much football…Having said that, we are having some neat passing play in patches.

Good header by Fondop and put away by Yarney for the goal.

Great save by Norman just before too 👍

Great win - worked hard, played some decent football in patches, still gave the ball away far too often and maybe too much hoofball but the pitch was heavy. Signs that the new players are bringing something extra to the team.

Another brilliant save by Norman at the death too 👍

Definitely better tonight, our ability to give the ball away frustrates me to fuck. Sheron probably deserved mom, the new lad and Yarney played well enough and for all Jordan Clarkes mistakes I thought he had his best game for us this season. Onwards and upwards. 

Amazing what can be achieved with a proper midfield. Yarney looks a really good addition too. First 30 minutes was poor but much improved after the first goal. Good change by Unsworth to bring Abraham on just as they were getting on top too, it's not long ago he'd have gone defensive. Beating York at home is still the absolute bare minimum we should be expecting, but they're at least beginning to resemble a team. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Amazing what can be achieved with a proper midfield. Yarney looks a really good addition too. First 30 minutes was poor but much improved after the first goal. Good change by Unsworth to bring Abraham on just as they were getting on top too, it's not long ago he'd have gone defensive. Beating York at home is still the absolute bare minimum we should be expecting, but they're at least beginning to resemble a team. 

Same for me Let the team  gain confidence  now which has been lacking and push on .Good team effort 

• Like 1

As said previously, poor start which seems a common theme, totally bypassing midfield, although still dangerous from set pieces. After that we played OK, nothing spectacular, but the better team. We pressed really well 2nd half with DU pushing the players on more than i’ve seen before. 
New lad an improvement on Peck in midfield for sure, and Sheron impressing again in defensive midfield, Yarney and Clarke having strong games. I actually don’t think anyone had a bad game tonight, an overall solid performance against a poor side. 

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

What is going on with Reid? not even in the squad.
There are rumours he has issues with Unsworth.

Can anyone shed any light?

It may be an injury but if not I feel sorry for Reid who is a proven top striker .Hope he gets back in the side quickly.

A good win we worked hard for it. The first half was scrappy and our passing was poor just lump it up to the big lads upfront. But we got the break and we got 1-0 up. Think Yarn Dijk had a good debut solid enough defensively and was doing alot of communicating he's a talker which is good if you are a centre back because the game is infront of you.

Second half the game opened abit and it was abit more an interesting game of football both sides could have scored but as the game wore you felt it was set for Timmy as he can run in behind the defence and so it proved with the winner. I thought Nuttall a player who could be described as lazy by some put a good shift in he was pressing from the front and interlinking with the other players even though no chances fell his way. Shelton did well I thought their were some quite big tackles going in at times our lads gave as good as they got in that respect. 

We still need to work on maintaining possession and passing because by doing so you get more control in games and can build pressure on the opposition. But tonight was a good win not a great win but a good win and good is good enough certainly if you do it consistently.

• Like 2

A bloody big improvement on the Gateshead game. Shelton was terrific in midfield MoM for me. Yarney impressive. He and Hogan looked better than Hogan and Clarke for me. Chapman looked like he'd played football before which I hadn't thought in previous performances.  The midfield balance was better. The 2 caveats were we scored from 2 horrendous mistakes and my York supporting mate thought they were poor. Still be thankful for small mercies. Aldershot away and then 4 home games.

Edited by astottie

Team was far more balanced, still need some quality wide right, Sheron man of match for me he got about really well although needs to just find some composure at times instead of hoofing it out aimlessly, he's a better footballer than that. Shelton slotted in really well, held the midfield together really, thought Tollit was frustrating but should of scored? Defensively Clarke was dire first 20 but grew in to the game and kept it together well when they went after him, Hogan and Yarney both had good games, Norman pulled off a couple of worldies the one at the end was particularly impressive, he really is better than he's given credit for, Unsworth made the right calls, our subs improved us whereas Yorks made them poorer and I'll give him credit for that, it's certainly something to build on and it was nice going away from a game knowing we'd dominated and got what we deserved. Fair play, we need to step up again on Saturday and really kick on now.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I mean fully grown men into Football violence are abit weird but a Tuesday night game in January seems really desperate.

2-0 Win tonight return of Tuesday night home win monsters.

Good shout 👍 and yes about time we got our Tuesday night form back.

I thought the Athleticos were in good form .... no negativity and pretty much constant 12th man. Yarney was great but Sheron deservedly MOM. Tollit looked like he had mobility issues ... running only when he had to? Those Norman saves at key moments made victory so much sweeter. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Hogan looked much better without Last Ditch Larry alongside him, food for thought there, Shelton was good on debut.

Still looked a bit edgy and clunky at times but 10 points out of 15 isn't to be sniffed at and hopefully we are now looking upwards.

As much as it pains me to diss Peter Clarke, I have to agree but we just know that come Saturday, it will be the ancient pairing again. I think that would be a mistake.