Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

I originally thought the same. However, having just had a quick scan of a Barnsley forum and realising that, pretty much to a man, they wanted to keep him, I now see this as a coup.

He'll score loads. 

E I E I E I O

Also I reckon Nuttall will be on his way out.

Admittedly, I wasn’t aware of the view of Barnsley fans and it’s encouraging to see how disheartened they are. 11 goals in L1 is an okay return (for Barnsley) but I assumed at 33 they were looking to offload to bring in someone who can get a few more goals to get them over the line this year after just falling short in the playoffs. 

He should have no problem at this level finding net and should be our first 20+ goal scorer since Porter (? No one’s done it since then have they? Lee Hughes was nailed on to do it until the night at the dogs)

20 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Seem a bit short on the right in comparison. 

Ward played off the right for Gateshead. Ward or Green, with Dickenson or Tollitt on the right. Five strikers will keep them all on their toes, which is great. Hope and Rooney to leave. 

Two more signings (rb and cm) and we'll be flying even higher.

Credit to the club. The fans have done their bit and returned in droves to give us our highest attendances in nearly 20 years, back when we were spending heavily to try and get into the championship. That budget in the NL, spent correctly should see us compete to be getting out of there, and the signings so far are very encouraging. Down to the manager and players now to do the business.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Admittedly, I wasn’t aware of the view of Barnsley fans and it’s encouraging to see how disheartened they are. 11 goals in L1 is an okay return (for Barnsley) but I assumed at 33 they were looking to offload to bring in someone who can get a few more goals to get them over the line this year after just falling short in the playoffs. 

He should have no problem at this level finding net and should be our first 20+ goal scorer since Porter (? No one’s done it since then have they? Lee Hughes was nailed on to do it until the night at the dogs)

Connor Macleney did it in 2020-21

A forgotten but quite remarkable achievement given the circumstances of the club at the time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Not in the league. McAleny got 20 odd in the Kewell season I think?

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Connor Macleney did it in 2020-21

A forgotten but quite remarkable achievement given the circumstances of the club at the time.

I really enjoyed the lockdown season. Kewell-Ball was very entertaining at times. Great forward line of Maceleny, Rowe and Dearnley. Also, possibly the worst defence I've ever seen. I mean, they were shocking. We scored more and conceded more than anyone else.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Anyone else feel a bit.... weird?

Yes, a mix of excitement and trepidation that we've got the right man in place to bring it all together...

There's no real excuse not to do well and to do well with style.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I really enjoyed the lockdown season. Kewell-Ball was very entertaining at times. Great forward line of Maceleny, Rowe and Dearnley. Also, possibly the worst defence I've ever seen. I mean, they were shocking. We scored more and conceded more than anyone else.

I don't actually think that defence was that bad. Well, Pidge and Clark anyway. Look at their careers since. It was the total lack of midfield that did us that season. 

Some of the away performances particularly were brilliant though, so fun to watch. Shame he couldn't sort out the home form

Anyway, enough nostalgia. We're going up!

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

Well im staggered by this signing never thought it would happen . Anyone who has any doubt about how immense this signing could be should head over to the Barnsley forum  (if its not in meltdown mode ) and check the reaction out . Some fans were saying they should quote Wrexham a 7 figure fee .This could be the difference between us and Chesterfield , at this moment I believe he would walk into any league 1 side . What a signing , what a club we have now . Thank you Mr Chairman 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't actually think that defence was that bad. Well, Pidge and Clark anyway. Look at their careers since. It was the total lad of midfield that did us that season. 

Some of the away performances particularly were brilliant though, so fun to watch. Shame he couldn't sort out the home form

Anyway, enough nostalgia. We're going up!

I don't disagree about the individual defenders, but we didn't defend well as a team. The midfield was often over run, leaving the defence exposed. One thing's for sure, it was rarely boring.

Now...it feels a bit like Christmas, with the media team doing a brilliant job with the wrapping.

• Like 1