MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

To be honest it's a farcical situation that we are unlucky to be on the end of, must be a nightmare for the club as well trying to make plans for a fixture which is now only 7 days away, you'd think the sensible option would be to reverse their fixtures to enable them more time to get things in order, if a safety certificate isn't authorised we could face the prospect of not even being able to attend which would be a real shame.

Could they switch with less than a week to go? Police, stewarding etc.

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There’d be lots of unhappy latics fans. Plenty booked on trains and down for the weekend. Can’t see it. Although if it was a case of swap or have no game, i’d swap. 

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Possibly;

'Police moved Arsenal's  Premier League fixture against Chelsea at the Emirates from April 29 to May 2.

43 minutes ago, daniel said:

There’d be lots of unhappy latics fans. Plenty booked on trains and down for the weekend. Can’t see it. Although if it was a case of swap or have no game, i’d swap. 

It's going to go ahead isn't it? The league will be well aware of a large away following at no small distance. Surely the authorities have this one covered. 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

probably not there'll be some knock on effect when you start messing that means two rivals are same town with same KO time

and being the species we are, well we know what happens!!

9 minutes ago, disjointed said:

It's going to go ahead isn't it? The league will be well aware of a large away following at no small distance. Surely the authorities have this one covered. 

l'm not concerned in the slightest about the game going ahead, theyre basically ticking boxes by this stage.

more bothered by the pitch and our expensive ankles

14 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l'm not concerned in the slightest about the game going ahead, theyre basically ticking boxes by this stage.

more bothered by the pitch and our expensive ankles

Decent ankle protection is needed, either that or play in 9 lace hole Doc Martens. 

I get your point though. 

Edited by disjointed

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

The league haven't got form for giving a shit about stuff like that..

Get the game played Saturday - wherever. 

If not, give us the three points without playing the game...

Postponing will be of no benefit to us and an extension of good will beyond what's necessary.

I've every sympathy with Southend's plight, but this ain't our fault and we shouldn't be penalised.

Edited by JoeP

On 7/28/2023 at 1:39 PM, Inspectormorose. said:

Apparently they still don't have a safety certificate for the ground ( as well as having only 10 fit contracted players as of yesterday ). They've asked fans to go to the ground on Sunday to help get it ready and presumably hope to get a safety certificate next week. Their fans think, if it does go ahead ( all the NL have done is given them the go ahead to start the season which is no guarantee they'll be ready to do so ) and some are sceptical, attendance will be by pay on the day at an as yet unspecified price as they've not announced that yet.

Decision Monday

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23688257.venue-southend-uniteds-opening-day-clash-decided-monday/

1 minute ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

back of a pillow maths l'd say between £4-£5K lost in Latics unwilling to gamble on paying train fare.

what allocation do you give, can that netting be moved? we will need about 1100 but it's POTD init so you can say 800 that will help.

18 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Not a problem. Away supporters get free reign of the North bank. Fair play if you bring that many.

l get that Torquay is the much fancier destination but l think they said 800 and loads of the weekender types with beds didnt even get out of them for the Football part 🤣

Couldn’t post pics as they exceeded the size allowed, but Southend fans went to the ground today to help get it ready, along with their manager. Basically, the pitch isn’t playable, full of sand and fox shit and hasn’t bedded in, and has multiple mole hills etc. Maher has said he wouldn’t want the players playing on it due to increased risk of injuries. Can’t see how that changes in a week, and if I was us i’d be seriously concerned looking at that pitch and having to play on that. Feeling nothing but sorry for their situation, but the game is 6 days away and it’s piss poor that we don’t know what is happening yet, and the NL need to intervene here. 
Mentions of switching the game, or even finding a new venue, such as Braintree. 

37 minutes ago, daniel said:

Couldn’t post pics as they exceeded the size allowed, but Southend fans went to the ground today to help get it ready, along with their manager. Basically, the pitch isn’t playable, full of sand and fox shit and hasn’t bedded in, and has multiple mole hills etc. Maher has said he wouldn’t want the players playing on it due to increased risk of injuries. Can’t see how that changes in a week, and if I was us i’d be seriously concerned looking at that pitch and having to play on that. Feeling nothing but sorry for their situation, but the game is 6 days away and it’s piss poor that we don’t know what is happening yet, and the NL need to intervene here. 
Mentions of switching the game, or even finding a new venue, such as Braintree. 

The pictures are not great, are they. There's no way of playing on that. It's worse than my back garden. 

What a mess. Braintree is a bit of an extra trek, involving extra money to get there. It holds over 4k, with 500 seats. Would it need to be all-ticket? If we switch, fans who've booked the train will miss out. Local hotels are going to miss out. Poor by the NL.

Still, if we do switch, I can go, which is great...

I am not sure they ever intended playing this game…they need more time to sort the team out and I suspect they will be using the pitch as a legitimate excuse to postpone without a points deduction. It’s a shambles down there thanks to their useless owner and the NL should have stepped in earlier.

Surely they could have spoken to Gillingham or Dagenham as two viable local alternatives

Only sensible solution would be to reverse the fixture, shambles of a situation to be honest and I feel for those who've planned and payed for trips/transport on the back of it.

I've got a feeling Maher doesn't fancy playing it anyway, it would suit them for it to be postponed. 

Edited by yarddog73

Maybe if you’ve prepared to pay someone to do it, but the reason it’s in that state in the first place is because they haven’t been.

I really hope to be going there on Saturday, but in reality the main thing is they survive as a club and get rid of their toxic owner.

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Only sensible solution would be to reverse the fixture, shambles of a situation to be honest and I feel for those who've planned and payed for trips/transport on the back of it.

I've got a feeling Maher doesn't fancy playing it anyway, it would suit them for it to be postponed. 

Was Coventry similar last season? Just didn't play at home for a while?