MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Green being asked to defend. . . 

I’ll pass thanks. 

Normally I'd agree but the local bbc commentators for the Barrow game were pretty glowing about him and the battle he was having with his opposite wing back. Defensively and in attack. Might be something he's worked on over the summer. Or he could just have been up against a donkey?!

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Normally I'd agree but the local bbc commentators for the Barrow game were pretty glowing about him and the battle he was having with his opposite wing back. Defensively and in attack. Might be something he's worked on over the summer. Or he could just have been up against a donkey?!

Yeah, I’m not questioning his desire- more generally that when out and out wingers are suddenly asked to play as a wingback- it never ends well. 

It does work the other way round though- when an out and out right back is asked to play wing back. 

What I take from that is two things- One- you need the right type of player who naturally loves defending. Two- coaching defensive position (particularly out of possession) is harder than asking someone to bomb forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, I’m not questioning his desire- more generally that when out and out wingers are suddenly asked to play as a wingback- it never ends well. 

It does work the other way round though- when an out and out right back is asked to play wing back. 

What I take from that is two things- One- you need the right type of player who naturally loves defending. Two- coaching defensive position (particularly out of possession) is harder than asking someone to bomb forward. 

I thought that he tracked back well last season and put in some timely tackles.

We could do far worse. Shit, we did for most of last season.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

I thought that he tracked back well last season and put in some timely tackles.

We could do far worse. Shit, we did for most of last season.

I'd second that. I remember him putting in a real defensive shift at Barnet. He's not a defender but he can defend.

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

hi there. thanks for rocking up on a friendly forum knowing best and failing at a belittling tone, talking down to tell us whats gone before will therefore happen again.

it aged really, really well. you should be proud. come back often, seems you can further our collective knowlege with your bright mind 🙄

l still hope your club survives but loses twice to us. have a nice season mate.

if this doesnt get us another block of seating released then l may have to accept l do not live in a computer simulation that l can subconciously control

Well, that's me told. I'll try and do better next time. I'm not aware that I've brassed off other posters, but if I have, I'll apologise if asked.

They say that for every action there is a reaction, so it may be that it's your posting style that prompted me to reply to you in a similar style. Who can say. I hope you managed to get a seat for the game in the end, it should be a close fought affair. As for the result, I'll wait until 5pm Saturday to comment.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

'its ok if youre fast just sprint back and get in his way'

are you saying my tactic above is not good enough? 🤣

I’ve been the shittest player in a Saturday morning team. “Just go out there and be a nuisance” always worked for me. 👍🏼

As a Southend fan, can I please make a request to all Oldham supporters going to Southend for the game. As you are all aware, we have been shafted by our Chairman Ron Martin to almost extinction. A loud chant of 'Martin out' from the away end will certainly win you a lot more friends and probably the biggest cheer of the afternoon. I wish you all a safe and enjoyable day out.

It's actually quite exciting waiting to see who is in our first starting 11!

Long time since so much anticipation...

For what it's worth I think he will start Fondop on the bench and bring him on for the last 20/25 mins.

He likes Nuttall for his sins so I'd bet he will start him and Norwood bringing on Big Mike and Reid.

4 hours ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Well, that's me told. I'll try and do better next time. I'm not aware that I've brassed off other posters, but if I have, I'll apologise if asked.

They say that for every action there is a reaction, so it may be that it's your posting style that prompted me to reply to you in a similar style. Who can say. I hope you managed to get a seat for the game in the end, it should be a close fought affair. As for the result, I'll wait until 5pm Saturday to comment.

Just out of interest did Hobson turn out for you at rightback last season, he's been plugging a gap there for us pre season.

also further to yardies enquiry re Hobson, lve jus listened to his interview and he went out of his way to explain to southend fans why he had to leave and it seems he wants to be on good terms. sounds to me like he thinks too much (wonder how l'd know) and under the circs of your club l'd like to think you would unserstand and treat him well? he also shined a bit more light on your overall situation which is so reminiscent of us 12months ago and l hope you get thru it. if theres any STAND UP FOR MARTIN OUT type chants then our lot will join in. they will probably already be stood up 😎.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

It's actually quite exciting waiting to see who is in our first starting 11!

Long time since so much anticipation...

For what it's worth I think he will start Fondop on the bench and bring him on for the last 20/25 mins.

He likes Nuttall for his sins so I'd bet he will start him and Norwood bringing on Big Mike and Reid.

The shit storm on here when we partner Sheron and Shelton in midfield start with Norwood on the bench and Fondop and Nuttall upfront. 😀

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow proves to be an anti-climax, it will be dissapointing not to start with a win but it won't define our season either way. No matter how hysterical people get on here at 5pm tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The shit storm on here when we partner Sheron and Shelton in midfield start with Norwood on the bench and Fondop and Nuttall upfront. 😀

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow proves to be an anti-climax, it will be dissapointing not to start with a win but it won't define our season either way. No matter how hysterical people get on here at 5pm tomorrow.

Yep, Southend will be up for it on adrenaline. Their team actually isn’t a bad side despite all the comings and goings there etc. i imagine their fans should turn out in numbers tomorrow with their plight and what have you. I’m sure our management team will know this too and be prepared accordingly.