MATCH: vs Southend (A) 05/08/23

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Yep, Southend will be up for it on adrenaline. Their team actually isn’t a bad side despite all the comings and goings there etc. i imagine their fans should turn out in numbers tomorrow with their plight and what have you. I’m sure our management team will know this too and be prepared accordingly. 

Although we've only had two pre season friendlies, the starting 11 for the 4-1 win against Bishop's Stortford would have had the thumbs up from me at any point last season.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

.... if theres any STAND UP FOR MARTIN OUT type chants then our lot will join in. they will probably already be stood up 😎.

There's a thread on our forum to see if he turns up tomorrow, and if so in what disguise. 

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/ron-in-disguise.115573/#post-2650102

It could be quite entertaining if he is

2 hours ago, True Tic said:

Yep, Southend will be up for it on adrenaline. Their team actually isn’t a bad side despite all the comings and goings there etc. i imagine their fans should turn out in numbers tomorrow with their plight and what have you. I’m sure our management team will know this too and be prepared accordingly. 

I hope they are prepared for the left sided wide man Jack Bridge, with a weak right flank we must close him down.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Just out of interest did Hobson turn out for you at rightback last season, he's been plugging a gap there for us pre season.

He played at right centre back supported by a right wing back. We all knew he wanted to return to the North to be nearer his family so it was no big surprise when he made the move, but he was probably our most consistent defender throughout the season and we were gutted to lose him. You have a very honest footballer in Hobbo and I hope you will approve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rootshallbloke said:

Well, that's me told

Don't take it too personally RHB. Many of us appreciate local insight.

Monty is a little unusual and perhaps doesn't moderate everything he types. I'd been on here a while before I understood a single one of his posts. Now I sometimes worry that I do understand some of them.

• Like 3

It'll be a similar match to when we played Brighton & Hove Albion the season after Moore walked. We lost 1-3 with a patched together side under a backdrop of uncertainty. 

I think we'll be too strong for them myself. We're a different beast than last season and have the feels. 3-1 Latics.

My thoughts on a couple of points discussed tonight. I saw the Curzon Ashton and Mansfield games so have something to

base this on.

Green hasn’t been played at WB in these games. Hobson has played RB in 442 with Green right midfield, but he still has defensive duties obvs. I’ve thought Green has been brightest performer in both - he’s going to be a key part of our attacking play this year.

Not trying to bring back the Nuttall debate again, but he looks ultra low on confidence. Almost every ball played to him was turned over to Mansfield because mis-controlled or poor flick. Think DU was giving him time to play into some kind of form but didn’t work. Still poor booing your own player off.

Nuttall can’t start tomorrow for me. Statement signing Norwood must start with either Reid or Fondop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

Last year not one let us in even the two literally 2 minutes walk from the away end.

Your best bet is either the plough on London road westcliff (10) mins walk away, the Saxon king (10 mins walk through priory park) or the pubs in the city centre (20 mins walk)

Unfortunately. The 3 pubs by the ground have had some aggro from away fans and now only serve away fans.

2 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Don't take it too personally RHB. Many of us appreciate local insight.

Monty is a little unusual and perhaps doesn't moderate everything he types. I'd been on here a while before I understood a single one of his posts. Now I sometimes worry that I do understand some of them.

yeah sorry it was a combo of tiredness, not getting my own way, trusting somebody l don't know on something AND checkin if l live in a simulation.

none of which is valid really and understandable misinfo if theyd cleaned all the seats.

not been able to read the reply cos lm a weirdo with Aspergers, was it bad?

Day 1 of what should be our best season in god knows how long. It’s like waking up on Christmas morning!

We should win this and I’d love a proper statement win to kick things off. But it’s probably the worst time to play Southend as they’ll be fired up. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster. 

9 hours ago, GKing521 said:

There will be an almighty pissboil if we lose tomorrow but I actually don’t expect us to win tomorrow.

We will take a few months to get going.

Now why would you of all people think that?

I'm going for a winning start with 2 or 3 goals scored 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Day 1 of what should be our best season in god knows how long. It’s like waking up on Christmas morning!. 

Xmas morning when you were a kid  … you rush downstairs to see if you got that one present you’ve been asking for all year…

You rip off the wrapping paper hoping and hoping - and then….

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

was it bad?

I think many of us appreciate your passion and understand ( a bit) of your personality.

RHB was trying to be helpful about the situation down there and chatting about players.

Your -shall we say 'unfiltered' responses- could easily have been seen as needlessly aggressive.

8 hours ago, Shrimperama said:

Your best bet is either the plough on London road westcliff (10) mins walk away, the Saxon king (10 mins walk through priory park) or the pubs in the city centre (20 mins walk)

Unfortunately. The 3 pubs by the ground have had some aggro from away fans and now only serve away fans.

Last time I was there I went in the Railway, they were a friendly bunch also had a beer garden, is this off limits now.