The Next Oldham Manager

32 minutes ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

Just woke up and the first thing I said to my wife was ‘Oldham have got a new manager!’ Who? She replied. ‘Micky Mellon, I said. She burst into uncontrollable laugher and said ‘just about sums them up. 
Am I missing something?

😂exactly what happened to me 

1 hour ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

Just woke up and the first thing I said to my wife was ‘Oldham have got a new manager!’ Who? She replied. ‘Micky Mellon, I said. She burst into uncontrollable laugher and said ‘just about sums them up. 
Am I missing something?

Single life?

• Like 1

The description of Mellon from Trfc2024 ticks a lot of boxes for me.

We should be hugely grateful to ST for steadying the ship in recent weeks, but I was always thinking he would be a comfortable option for the players he helped to bring in. Mellon sounds like he will challenge poor performance which seems to have crept back in.

If there was any boardroom disagreement I think the right side won. Hoping FR can find a way to back him with the required squad changes.

• Like 1

For those not on Twitter, an article below with some quotes from Mellon’s book.

Think it’s fair to say this guy is a serious operator and makes sense why we’ve given him a 3-year deal:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1712880505480253513.html

Edited by OAFCKeepTheFaith
  • Like 1

Very pleased with this appointment. Ticks all the right boxes for me, plus a few Tranmere fans have mentioned “blowing teams away”, so I’m not worried about the style of play. 

On relegation from League 2 I’d have guessed 99% of the fanbase would have taken a manager with MM’s CV and a good crack of promotion regardless of style.

• Like 1

I like the idea of a club structure, identity, recruitment etc not being solely controlled by the current first team manager as I think that provides more long term stability and therefore a better chance of long term success. 

However, what is more important than that in the short term is getting promoted out of this division as soon as possible. That should be the number 1 priority so if the board have decided to change the plan and put that long term strategy on hold until we get back in the EFL then I think that’s the right way to go. Mellon looks like the ideal appointment in that respect. Good luck to him, we are definitely due a manager clicking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OAFCKeepTheFaith said:

For those not on Twitter, an article below with some quotes from Mellon’s book.

Think it’s fair to say this guy is a serious operator and makes sense why we’ve given him a 3-year deal:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1712880505480253513.html

Read that snippet and it reads very well. I don’t think the team will be in any doubt about who is in charge and it sounds like he won’t suffer fools . He also expects a good work ethic. I think it’ll do some of our lot the world of good. Maybe one or two it won’t suit . 

13 hours ago, southwaleslatic said:

Before we all get carried away with the new manager , maybe we should read articles about the negatives , ie style of play being negative , very low scoring teams managed , winning 2 games out of 11 (at tranmere ) Fans chanting we want Mellon out  . Doe's this sound familiar ? Mr Unsworth comes to mind . Oldham Athletic can try keep a manager who's record was abysmal , but they can't try to keep a manager who didn't lose a game , who was very honest in appraisals ( instead of bullshit ) and an Oldhamer . They should have given Steve Thompson until the end of season at least ( obviously if that's what he wanted )If not   they should've waited till after Altrincham game as that would prove if he  was up to the job . But we'll never know now . good luck Steve Thompson you deserved better !!!

As I always say, you just can't beat a healthy burst of optimism at the start of a new manager's reign.

5 hours ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

Am I missing something?

Latics are for life, you can change your wife any time.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, trfc2024 said:

Hi all,

Tranmere fan here, have seen some posts questioning Micky's record/style of play so wanted to put my perspective on it

For me, you could not have got a better manager for what you need, he will get the fans and players onside and he will make sure that every player is giving 100% game in, game out. 

With his record, you can largely ignore his second spell with us, when he came back he was not in charge of recruitment anymore, was not allowed to bring in an assistant to him and the budget had been cut. He was told to play a set formation - which he abandoned early on- and was given a recruitment model that we have abandoned already which is telling. He was never the right manager for the role he had come back to.

Similarly with style of play, yes he doesn't like to get beat but... in the National League we played good football, back in the EFL he was always battling against teams with more money and often massively overachieved- the league two promotion for example. 

Like with any manager at this level there are negatives, he is stubborn at times and to make it work he needs to have complete control. I thought it was interesting your recruitment member has gone and not returned to his role, as I put above his main complaint was regarding him not being in charge of transfers when he came back.

One thing you will find in a few weeks is a player will suddenly drop out the squad, Micky is a hard taskmaster and if he feels a player is slacking in training then he will just be out, no questions asked. We left Andy Cook out for a number of weeks despite him being arguably our best player at the time.

I would not be shocked either for you to sign an experienced central defender and central midfielder if you do not have one currently, he likes a spine that is experienced- Peter Clarke/McNulty/Jay Harris etc

One last one is that his teams start the season slowly, seems to happen each season and then from a few months onwards it clicks.

Best of luck to him and to you and I would be really shocked if you are not fighting up the right end of the table with him at the end of the season.

that’s at least you and the Half Man Half Biscuit lads who are decent eggs then. 😂

• Like 2

On 10/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, diggleblue said:

Actually they're probably trying to find a guillet that fits.The ones DU left behind are all too big

On 10/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, trfc2024 said:

I would not be shocked either for you to sign an experienced central defender and central midfielder if you do not have one currently, he likes a spine that is experienced- Peter Clarke/McNulty/Jay Harris etc

thank you. if a central midfieilder with scarred legs and ability does't come in by tuesday afternoon lm going to quietly boooo inside my head

15 minutes ago, South West Blue said:

Any news of any press conference being organised by the club to officially welcome him to the madhouse?  

I’d rather they didn’t. I have heard enough generic rubbish from managers which gets my hopes up. Just win games and let that do the talking. We don’t need to give him a parade. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’d rather they didn’t. I have heard enough generic rubbish from managers which gets my hopes up. Just win games and let that do the talking. We don’t need to give him a parade. 

Likewise. I also don’t want a 15 minute introduction by Frank at the next home game. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

that’s at least you and the Half Man Half Biscuit lads who are decent eggs then. 😂

at least we get to swerve the checkatrade!!

50 minutes ago, South West Blue said:

Any news of any press conference being organised by the club to officially welcome him to the madhouse?  

this

31 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Likewise. I also don’t want a 15 minute introduction by Frank at the next home game. 

this

12 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No I've joined the general love-in with Frank but am glad I turn up at kick-off time when he's got the mike !  😧

this

• Like 2