MATCH: Ebbsfleet United (H) 25/11/23

47 minutes ago, rvlatic said:

Not at the Cardiff game then?  That was a lot worse than today.

Actually I wasn't, that Ebbsfleet team were fucking awful today yet somehow dicked us 4-1, work that one out.

They last won at the end of September against 10 men.

Edited by yarddog73

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Totally understand the logic of keeping an unchanged side after back-to-back wins, but if we find ourselves in a similar position again this season (the 3rd match in a week, ideally after back-to-back wins) I'd be resting the older players in our squad and getting the more energetic and younger players in.  Nothing wrong with having Gardner come on for the last 30 mins today with a player like Ward, Willoughby or Hope running the opposition ragged in the 1st 60.

I trust Mellon though, he's still feeling his way through things at the moment and will make small mistakes.  Despite being very patchy this season (even since Unsworth left) we are still within reach of the playoffs at the halfway point and I expect us to improve more with Mellon in charge than the majority of the league will.  One of the six playoff spots should certainly be attainable.

That's a pretty reasonable post, I said today that Gardner should be given a week off with light training, he looks good when fresh and today was 1 game too far. I'm sure MM will work it out and these "abberations" will become a rarity. 

Edited by disjointed
Shit spelling

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's give some of them players too many chances, no balls, not brave enough and it appears he sees and wants what many of us have been asking for for weeks/months.

Problem is Dullsworth and Thompson have spunked all the budget and he has little option but to keep going to battle with a team with little character.

Why can't we just be fucking brave at home, it's like we've got a team full of shithouses. 

28 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Totally understand the logic of keeping an unchanged side after back-to-back wins, but if we find ourselves in a similar position again this season (the 3rd match in a week, ideally after back-to-back wins) I'd be resting the older players in our squad and getting the more energetic and younger players in.  Nothing wrong with having Gardner come on for the last 30 mins today with a player like Ward, Willoughby or Hope running the opposition ragged in the 1st 60.

I trust Mellon though, he's still feeling his way through things at the moment and will make small mistakes.  Despite being very patchy this season (even since Unsworth left) we are still within reach of the playoffs at the halfway point and I expect us to improve more with Mellon in charge than the majority of the league will.  One of the six playoff spots should certainly be attainable.

I don't get this notion that Mellon needs to feel his way into the job. Surely a major factor in appointing him was that he's seen and done it all at this level and that negated the need for a prolonged period of bedding in?

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

that Ebbsfleet team were fucking awful today

How you can possibly come to that conclusion God only knows.

I think they deserve a lot of credit for what I thought was an excellent all round performance and in my opinion their win was fully deserved!!

• Like 10

I can’t see any transfer movement until January and even then it won’t be wholesale, we have too many average players on long expensive contracts. 

Today was bad. We have a mentality issue when it comes to games we should be winning (or games we think we should be winning). We’re still 2-3 off even being a serious play off contender. With this bunch, we will always be inconsistent. 

The way Mellon seemingly wants us to play needs direct wingers who can cross. We don’t have it. We pass it side to side getting 30 yards from goal then struggle. The crossing today was a disgrace, so many trickling along the ground being cleared by the first man.

Who out of the squad today would you have day 1 next season if we’re in the NL and the expectation is promotion? 
Hudson, Raglan, Kitching, Norwood, Lundstram, maybe Sheron? for me that’s it. Says a lot. 

Gardners our best midfielder but with his injury record I wouldn’t bother. 

Not sure on McGahey yet. 

Injured players Hobson I’d keep of course and then maybe Reid. His all round game isn’t great but he does pop up with goals and is a decent option from the bench. 

We need much better. 

Edited by aaronoafc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

That's the worst result I've ever witnessed at home.

Fylde was the worst I've ever seen away and I've seen some shockers.

It was massively disappointing today.

After forcing a draw, away in the FA cup, we went out at home to South Shields (North East Bookmakers and Turd Shunting League),  losing 1 - 2 at home. 

Bloody cold awful December night, players off the ball were blowing into their hands and looking towards the tunnel.

Me and my mate were the only two people in the Rochdale Road end.....

.......but...Happy Days four matches later Jimmy Frizz took over.   👍

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, disjointed said:

"The pitch looked too big for us" was spot on. Without singling players out we can see where this is going. 

As he said several times " look with your eyes" he knows exactly what's wrong and what's needed but it will take time.

With D.U, he was totally deluded .I have absolute confidence in M.M.

Today was disappointing and poor but it will improve.I'd love to hear what he says to the players next week.

• Like 2

It’s been said before we get too high after a win too low after a defeat. Yes it’s disappointing, but the position we’re in we ain’t breaking into the top 3. We Will strengthen as the seasons goes on. We will get stronger as smaller squads pick up injuries. Only reason unsworth had a good second half.  So with that theory we will have an even stronger 2nd half this season. Play offs was the aim before today and it still is. We should easily make the play offs still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

As he said several times " look with your eyes" he knows exactly what's wrong and what's needed but it will take time.

With D.U, he was totally deluded .I have absolute confidence in M.M.

Today was disappointing and poor but it will improve.I'd love to hear what he says to the players next week.

Wouldn't surprise me if MM calls up a couple of young players next week in an attempt to add some running power to the team.

I noticed Benny Couto was training  with the first team squad.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

It’s been said before we get too high after a win too low after a defeat. Yes it’s disappointing, but the position we’re in we ain’t breaking into the top 3. We Will strengthen as the seasons goes on. We will get stronger as smaller squads pick up injuries. Only reason unsworth had a good second half.  So with that theory we will have an even stronger 2nd half this season. Play offs was the aim before today and it still is. We should easily make the play offs still.

We're in major transition right now and need to understand that all the problems Unsworth left behind are still hurting us

Give this manager the time to fully assess everything and put his own stamp on it, he will for sure, then and only then, will he be culpable for day's like today

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We're in major transition right now and need to understand that all the problems Unsworth left behind are still hurting us

Give this manager the time to fully assess everything and put his own stamp on it, he will for sure, then and only then, will he be culpable for day's like today

Not the managers fault today, it was down to the players not taking control.

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

I have genuine faith in MM and that he will get us into the playoffs…….but absolutely NOT this season! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Seems to me the players bottle it in front of a relatively [for this league] big crowd, whereas the opposition thrive on it, relative to much smaller home crowds. 

Small clubs will love coming here, especially on a Saturday 

If they get in our faces then it's job half done, playing with freedom gets it fully done.

Our own worst enemy for not matching their effort and will to win, we need to toughen up and make it unpleasant 

The wins will follow.

• Like 2

Just now, Littlemoor Lad said:

Small clubs will love coming here, especially on a Saturday 

If they get in our faces then it's job half done, playing with freedom gets it fully done.

Our own worst enemy for not matching their effort and will to win, we need to toughen up and make it unpleasant 

The wins will follow.

Correct, it's in their heads.

They've not played at the same intensity today and been embarrassed, did they learn nothing from Fylde?. How many times have we done it and gone somewhere and won against the odds with inferior players?. If you don't win your battles you'll never win the war, too many today just cruising and think they just have to turn up.

This is no criticism here of Mellon but this assessment of todays substitutions shows where we are at from a squad depth point of view:

Hope, he’s hard working, fit, plays narrow wide and has a goal in him. 
No issue with Hallam, his graft at home to break down defences makes me think that he’s worth a start. 

Willoughby, simply out of his depth at this level, he peaked in the division below as an out and out striker but his positive contributions for us are far outweighed by his lack of physical presence and the uncertainty as to what his best position is for us when he comes onto the pitch as a substitute, let alone, as a starter. 

Hogan, I was completely bewildered at times by the expectation of him to play effectively in the right sided midfield / forward link despite his lack of finesse in that respect.

He should have just be the anchor at the back for us instead, with McGahey marauding forward if MM wants that type of impact from a defender pushing forward as McGahey is a far better passer of the ball than Hoges. 

54 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

This is no criticism here of Mellon but this assessment of todays substitutions shows where we are at from a squad depth point of view:

Hope, he’s hard working, fit, plays narrow wide and has a goal in him. 
No issue with Hallam, his graft at home to break down defences makes me think that he’s worth a start. 

Willoughby, simply out of his depth at this level, he peaked in the division below as an out and out striker but his positive contributions for us are far outweighed by his lack of physical presence and the uncertainty as to what his best position is for us when he comes onto the pitch as a substitute, let alone, as a starter. 

Hogan, I was completely bewildered at times by the expectation of him to play effectively in the right sided midfield / forward link despite his lack of finesse in that respect.

He should have just be the anchor at the back for us instead, with McGahey marauding forward if MM wants that type of impact from a defender pushing forward as McGahey is a far better passer of the ball than Hoges. 

I haven’t got the slightest clue how anyone can make a judgement on Willoughby. He hasn’t had a sniff. 

• Like 2